Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

??????

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Medieval] >> HISTORY Great Battles Medieval >> ?????? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
?????? - 4/1/2011 6:26:17 AM   
rhondabrwn

This must set a record for inactive game forums!

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(
Post #: 1
RE: ?????? - 4/1/2011 12:16:25 PM   
JP Falcon the 2nd

RTS phobia?

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 2
RE: ?????? - 4/1/2011 12:46:28 PM   
sabre1

(in reply to JP Falcon the 2nd)
Post #: 3
RE: ?????? - 4/1/2011 1:38:40 PM   
blastpop

Looks kind of interesting, but not sure what the long term play value would be.

I might purchase if it were $15.00 to $20 less- but it really is not a burning issue to pickup.

Instead I am enjoying FoG thoroughly...

(in reply to sabre1)
Post #: 4
RE: ?????? - 4/1/2011 2:10:18 PM   
LarryP

After looking at the product page, the game looks pretty good. Too much money though.

(in reply to blastpop)
Post #: 5
RE: ?????? - 4/1/2011 2:14:42 PM   
mbar

It seems to be a reasonable price. I will pick it up later but for now I'm playing through King Arthur, Kings' Crusade, Shogun 2 and for that matter Medieval 2 and Rome Gold.

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 6
RE: ?????? - 4/1/2011 7:15:02 PM   
boatrigm

I just don't see what this game brings to the table compared to the Total War series. Maybe this game is easier??

(in reply to mbar)
Post #: 7
RE: ?????? - 4/1/2011 7:21:49 PM   
Max 86

quote:

ORIGINAL: boatrigm

I just don't see what this game brings to the table compared to the Total War series. Maybe this game is easier??

Thats what I was thinking. A watered down M2TW.

No problem Chief!

(in reply to boatrigm)
Post #: 8
RE: ?????? - 4/1/2011 7:44:35 PM   
Shawkhan

I think these kind of questions can be simply answered, just by reading the product info:
•Next generation engine with advanced shader effects and lighting
•Free form quest map that allows players to decide when and where to fight within a historical framework
•More than 20 different units all accurately researched and carefully modeled in amazing detail
•Weapons and shields are added to each unit by the player, meaning an almost infinite number of equipment combinations are possible
•Every equipment change changes the appearance of the models. Never before has this kind of customization been possible on such a scale
•Specialize your squads with over 100 unique skills
•Animations and behavior change to match the equipment you have allocated
•Play as the English under the Black Prince or the French under Joan of Arc
•Historical events effecting game play
•Innovative Battle Card system that gives bonuses and penalties in battle
•The most detailed and realistic medieval combat model ever created
•Special ambush missions
•Story movies created from hundreds of hours of the TV channel HISTORY library combined with in game engine footage
•Completely new control and battle system designed to work on console and PC
•Multiplayer over LAN & Internet

(in reply to Max 86)
Post #: 9
RE: ?????? - 4/1/2011 7:56:23 PM   
Erik Rutins

It's different from Total War, though there are definitely similarities. I would say that if you like the Total War games, you'll also likely enjoy this, but it is not a Total War clone. The role-playing and continuity aspect is stronger here IMHO and it is very much its own unique game with battle graphics that are on par with TW.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Shawkhan)
Post #: 10
RE: ?????? - 4/1/2011 9:35:59 PM   
boatrigm

Wish there was a demo Might help me decide....the youtube video just didn't do it for me.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 11
RE: ?????? - 4/1/2011 10:09:13 PM   
Rosseau

I bought it at Slitherine after the latest patch and can't really agree the graphics are on par with the Total War Series. I like it because there are several nice modding opportunities and an editor where you can modify/create entire new battles for the campaigns.

Although there is the pause feature, the gameplay itself moves quickly. I did not get a lot of satisfaction from the actual battles. A worthy buy if they dropped the price to $30. At $40, there's just too much other good stuff you can get, especially at discount.

(in reply to boatrigm)
Post #: 12
RE: ?????? - 4/1/2011 10:39:17 PM   
henri51

Without any AARs and pictures, I can't figure out whether this is the game of the year or the clunker of the year...

Henri

After I wrote this I went to the Slitherine web site where there is a detailed description with pictures of various aspects of the game.

< Message edited by henri51 -- 4/1/2011 10:53:43 PM >

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 13
RE: ?????? - 4/2/2011 10:32:36 PM   
Rosseau

It's neither bad nor great, Henri. But it is different with the various screens and weapon upgrades, etc. But if you don't plan to use the editor at all, it is too pricey for what you can get elsewhere these days. For example, King Arthur and it's follow up, are beautiful games, despite the fantasy stuff in the first one.

(in reply to henri51)
Post #: 14
RE: ?????? - 4/4/2011 3:05:55 AM   
Kubel

I'll be buying after I buy a new laptop.

Don
"Our profession should always be crowned by heroic death in battle" Generalfeldmarschall Fedor von Bock

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 15
RE: ?????? - 4/4/2011 9:58:40 PM   
hgilmer3

I really love the period, but I'm a little burnt out on Total War stuff, even with it being "different". I'm sure it is different being from different program studios, but as I said I'm a little burnt out on strategic game maps and real time battle systems.

If I got that wrong, I'm sorry. That seems to be my perception and will gladly accept being corrected on whether it is "turn-0based" at strategic and real time at battle level.

KurtC in the WITE PBEM module.

(in reply to Kubel)
Post #: 16
RE: ?????? - 4/4/2011 10:32:14 PM   
PipFromSlitherine

It isn't realtime in the common sense. You watch the battle unfold, but can pause at any time, and all orders are given in a paused state. It also uses a segmented battlefield to make it easier to know what is going to go where and how it will relate to the units around it.

Plus a lot of your decision making is equiping your men and determining how they will fight at given battle (e.g. mounted or on foot for Knights).

Cheers

Pip

(in reply to hgilmer3)
Post #: 17
RE: ?????? - 4/5/2011 12:06:33 AM   
Rosseau

Despite the pause feature, things move quickly and I found it significantly more difficult to control my troops and make sense out of what's going on in the heat of battle. I also found it a bit difficult to tell who is who, unit-type wise.

You can also give units bonuses that may be available by clicking on them, but I found it better implemented in King Arthur. For example, there is a "stand fast" bonus I gave a unit. But I honestly could not determine if it worked or not the way things move so quickly.

There also is no strategic layer beyond re-equipping your troops with better equipment as you conquer region by region of the continent. But again, modding and editor support is very nice.

(in reply to PipFromSlitherine)
Post #: 18
RE: ?????? - 4/5/2011 2:18:57 AM   
mbar

It sounds like it plays more like Neocore's The King's Crusade than Total War. You equip and then play the next mission on the map.

The battle card system sounds interesting.

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 19
RE: ?????? - 4/5/2011 9:59:20 PM   
Rosseau

HGBM also has a screen where you update your units with better weapons after success/experience in battle. But, again, the actual battles move quickly and these weapons advantages were never very apparent to me in the field. Also, and I'm just being honest, the graphics in HGBM can't hold a candle to the Neocore series.

(in reply to mbar)
Post #: 20
RE: ?????? - 4/6/2011 9:13:55 AM   
IainMcNeil

There is a speed slider to slow down battles if you want things to be slower.

Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 21
RE: ?????? - 4/21/2011 8:42:47 AM   
milkweg

Armchair General gave it 85% so it can't be all that bad. I don't see why it is being compared to TW either just because it uses 3D graphics. The meat of TW series is the strategy game part and not the battles.

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/history-great-battles-medieval-pc-game-review.htm

(in reply to IainMcNeil)
Post #: 22
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Medieval] >> HISTORY Great Battles Medieval >> ?????? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI