Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Ground attack?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Ground attack? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Ground attack? - 1/16/2003 2:16:24 PM   
Veer

In my effort to capture PM, i've been launching Ground attack missions with LBA's from Rabaul and Carrier aircraft just south of PM. I also run regular recon missions out of Lae. It's now May 23 and i've been doing this for about 10 days.

There are only two allied infantry units of note at PM - the 112 Base force and an Aus Brigade. Other units include some engineers and a HQ.

What I noticed is, all my ground attacks are directed towards the 112 Base force. None of my attacks so far have targetted the Aus bde. I switched the game to H2H mode and noticed that the 112 Base force has a disruption of 100 and morale in the low 30's, but by contrast the Aus brigade has a disruption of only 25 and quite high morale. Why are all my ground attacks only directed against the 112? Shouldn't some target the Aus Brigade also?

In time of war the first casualty is truth. - Boake Carter
Post #: 1
Good Question - 1/16/2003 5:46:24 PM   
Odin

I recognized something like this some time ago.

Can it be that the Brigade is in the hex, but not exactly at the base? Maybe it is marching...just coming in to reinforce PM?

Remember the hexes are 30miles large, place enough to be out of position:)

(in reply to Veer)
Post #: 2
- 1/16/2003 7:38:37 PM   
Drongo

Unfortunately the UV ground attack routine selects a target for you and, once selected, that appears to be the only target ever attacked at that location.

It has been brought up in the forums before (many times). If you do a search (use something like "ground") and you'll see you're not alone.

Have no fear,
drink more beer.

(in reply to Veer)
Post #: 3
- 1/16/2003 11:14:20 PM   
Mr.Frag

[QUOTE]There are only two allied infantry units of note at PM - the 112 Base force and an Aus Brigade. Other units include some engineers and a HQ.[/QUOTE]

Just as I was rather unplesantly surprised, you'll find out that base units, have NO combat strength at all. Consider them as a HQ unit, as they die to 1 squad of grunts when factoring strengths at a location. I found out the hard way loosing 2 Base units that although 2000+ troops, they are all second line troops and don't seem to even fire off their pistols in defence :(

The 30th Aus Brigade and the 96th Engineer Battalion (because they actually have some infantry squads) are the only two combat units that actually have any strength to repell attacks.

When looking at a unit, there are Infantry, Vehicles, Guns, and Second Line Troops. Only the first 3 types are of value.

I feel for you as to the stuck target problem, I have seen it myself and it really gets annoying when it happens to be a no value unit.

(in reply to Veer)
Post #: 4
- 1/16/2003 11:58:43 PM   
Yamamoto

Set your planes on ground attack but don't specify a target. This will allow them to change targets at the base when the first target's assult strength goes below another unit's assult strength. Of course, the downside to this is that the planes might attack a completely different base.

Yamamoto

(in reply to Veer)
Post #: 5
recon - 1/17/2003 12:04:19 AM   
mogami

Hi, Also fly plenty of recon to target hex. Detection level of ground units also is part of program deciding what unit to attack. Baseforces are much easier to detect and so get targeted more often unless recon finds better target.

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

(in reply to Veer)
Post #: 6
suks - 1/17/2003 12:04:42 AM   
Veer

Ya, that suks. Needs be to changed I think.

Basically it put paid to my efforts to capture PM by blitz attack, following Japans historic 'MO' plans. Now I got the 144 Regt and a couple of Assault Eng units battering away uselessly at PM. I can reinforce, but an enemy AK TF slipped past my blockade (my carriers were out of fuel, and my surface fleet mauled previously) and is reinforcing PM too. Looks like it's going to be along war.....

Just a question... if a base force reaches 100 disruption, does it have any effect? Like does it effect his aviation support any?

(in reply to Veer)
Post #: 7
- 1/17/2003 12:30:48 AM   
Mr.Frag

[QUOTE]Set your planes on ground attack but don't specify a target. This will allow them to change targets at the base when the first target's assult strength goes below another unit's assult strength. Of course, the downside to this is that the planes might attack a completely different base.[/QUOTE]

You will notice that the unit being attacked has NO Assault strength at all ... This stuck target thing is a known issue that has been mentioned in the Bugs forum that Matrix was going to look into.

(in reply to Veer)
Post #: 8
- 1/17/2003 1:44:35 AM   
Yamamoto

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mr.Frag
[B]You will notice that the unit being attacked has NO Assault strength at all ... This stuck target thing is a known issue that has been mentioned in the Bugs forum that Matrix was going to look into. [/B][/QUOTE]

Well, then I've been lucky enough not to see this bug when using the procedure outlined above. Of course I also had recon going so maybe that was the difference.

Yamamoto

(in reply to Veer)
Post #: 9
- 1/17/2003 9:15:17 AM   
siRkid

This is a known bug that we have thoroughly investigated. The AI will select one target to attack.
And will attack it until its fatigue level reaches 100% at which time it will not make any more ground attacks. Once the fatigue level of the selected target falls below 100%, the AI will resume the attacks. Because of the way the code is written, it has been decided that we could cause more harm than good if we tried to fix it.

I have found that I can get around this by attacking the airfield or the port. The ground loses from those attacks appear to be spread around the available troops.

I know its not the answer you want to hear but that’s were it stands. It will remain on the list but as a low priority.

Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.

(in reply to Veer)
Post #: 10
Cool - 1/17/2003 9:27:26 AM   
Grumbling Grogn

Actually that is great. We have a work around we can use. :)

When you say it is on "The List" I assume you mean for WitP. Or is it on the "The List" for UV? Is there even a list for UV? ;)

The Grumbling Grognard

(in reply to Veer)
Post #: 11
- 1/17/2003 9:32:03 AM   
siRkid

The list applies to WITP but there is always a chance it may be back fitted.

Rick

Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.

(in reply to Veer)
Post #: 12
- 1/17/2003 9:36:20 AM   
Grumbling Grogn

As I thought, no problem. FULL STEAM AHEAD! ;)

The Grumbling Grognard

(in reply to Veer)
Post #: 13
- 1/17/2003 2:44:39 PM   
Veer

Thanks guys... for all the tips and advice. PM should fall soon now. ;)

(in reply to Veer)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Ground attack? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI