Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Region Automation?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Region Automation? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Region Automation? - 6/12/2014 10:53:01 PM   
SiliconMagician

I have been poring over the manuals, searching the forums, googling for the last couple days before posting this inane question but I cannot find how to automate the various commands or regions so that I can cut down the size of the war to a managable chunk.

Really all I'm interested in is playing the December 8th Campaign and concentrating on McArthur's defense of the Philipines until it's fall and automating the rest of the war around it. Maybe later move McArthur out and take up the Solomons Theater, etc. I read everywhere that it can be done, but nowhere on actually how to do it.

I apologize if it's something obvious, but I have a nasty talent for overlooking the obvious. TIA

< Message edited by SiliconMagician -- 6/12/2014 11:55:46 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Region Automation? - 6/12/2014 10:57:57 PM   
mind_messing

quote:

ORIGINAL: SiliconMagician

I have been poring over the manuals, searching the forums, googling for the last couple days before posting this inane question but I cannot find how to automate the various commands or regions so that I can cut down the size of the war to a managable chunk.

Sadly this isn't HoI 3. There is no "AI Automation", not for technology, diplomacy or theaters.

If you want a smaller war, try some of the non-grand campaign scenarios. I don't know if there's one for the Philippines off the top of the head, but it wouldn't suprise me.

Even if there's not, there's plenty of others.

(in reply to SiliconMagician)
Post #: 2
RE: Region Automation? - 6/12/2014 11:12:18 PM   
SiliconMagician

quote:

TommyBoy, the AI doesn't really do the lower echelon stuff when you turn on "computer control". What you do is give ALL the decision making power of a particular region of the Pacific Theater over to the computer. There are several regions (North Pacific, South Pacific, Central, SW, and two Chinese) and you can delegate the computer to take over any of them.

It's not a good idea except perhaps for the Chinese regions. I had the SW Pacific region on cc for a while in my current campaign, and it basically sat there like a lump.

If you have control of a region, you've got to do EVERYTHING. Run the logistics (although that can be automated somewhat), decide which base needs upgrading, route forces to bases, decide how much CAP goes up each day, what targets to hit with LBA (although you can't designate specific naval targets), etc, etc. Subs take up a lot of your time; each one has to be monitored to make sure they're not out of ammo/fuel or aren't damaged, and they need to be moved around or ASW forces will find them quickly. If you put them on computer control they go halfway across the map to some obscure enemy port rather than where you want them to go.

You're basically the operational commander of all the regions; you don't get to run the tactics of the individual battles, but your decisions prior to the fight will influence how it turns out. And yes, the learning curve is STEEP.

I can't post the original link yet, but what is he talking about here in the first paragraph?

< Message edited by SiliconMagician -- 6/13/2014 12:13:45 AM >

(in reply to mind_messing)
Post #: 3
RE: Region Automation? - 6/12/2014 11:58:16 PM   
mind_messing

quote:

quote:

TommyBoy, the AI doesn't really do the lower echelon stuff when you turn on "computer control". What you do is give ALL the decision making power of a particular region of the Pacific Theater over to the computer. There are several regions (North Pacific, South Pacific, Central, SW, and two Chinese) and you can delegate the computer to take over any of them.

It's not a good idea except perhaps for the Chinese regions. I had the SW Pacific region on cc for a while in my current campaign, and it basically sat there like a lump.

If you have control of a region, you've got to do EVERYTHING. Run the logistics (although that can be automated somewhat), decide which base needs upgrading, route forces to bases, decide how much CAP goes up each day, what targets to hit with LBA (although you can't designate specific naval targets), etc, etc. Subs take up a lot of your time; each one has to be monitored to make sure they're not out of ammo/fuel or aren't damaged, and they need to be moved around or ASW forces will find them quickly. If you put them on computer control they go halfway across the map to some obscure enemy port rather than where you want them to go.

You're basically the operational commander of all the regions; you don't get to run the tactics of the individual battles, but your decisions prior to the fight will influence how it turns out. And yes, the learning curve is STEEP.

I can't post the original link yet, but what is he talking about here in the first paragraph?

Absolutely no idea.

Post #: 4
RE: Region Automation? - 6/13/2014 12:55:54 AM   
Smeulders

quote:

quote:

Giving the AI control of certain theatres was possible in the original War in the Pacific, but due to the way the AI has been changed for WitP: Admiral's edition, this is no longer possible.

Post #: 5
RE: Region Automation? - 6/13/2014 12:57:30 AM   
alimentary

In WITP (but not AE) you could turn over regions to AI control. I had to fire up an old copy just now to verify. There were, in fact, two separate controllable regions in China.

[drat, beaten to it]

< Message edited by alimentary -- 6/13/2014 1:58:56 AM >

(in reply to mind_messing)
Post #: 6
RE: Region Automation? - 6/13/2014 1:59:39 AM   
SiliconMagician

Ahhhh. Okay. Well thats okay. After going through all the major units on the map at the start.and reading.newbie walkthroughs of the first few days the major things that the guides say to do are already programmed in. I am muddling thru. Thanks guys.

(in reply to alimentary)
Post #: 7
RE: Region Automation? - 6/13/2014 3:15:56 PM   
btd64

Look in the design and modding thread. I think there might be a phillipines scenario there, or maybe someone is developing it. But yes the old WITP had the AI for different regions. Not AE.

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Region Automation? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI