Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Jess' Beyond the Beachhead PBEM scenario

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SPWaW AAR/DAR >> Jess' Beyond the Beachhead PBEM scenario Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Jess' Beyond the Beachhead PBEM scenario - 1/25/2003 3:53:47 PM   
rbrunsman

First off, I have to say this is a very nice map of the Normany landing beaches. I was there in September and when I opened the map, the first thing I saw was an accurately represented bunker that I had actually been in on the far western edge of the beaches angled along the beaches, rather than out to sea like you might expect. The gullies that need to be taken are represented very well too. I'm just glad I wasn't there for real. Having seen the beaches, I think I would rather have taken my chances with the AirBorne guys, that's for sure.

My men are in disarray, spread all over the place with platoon leaders nowhere near their squads. I have to get off this beach! Do I try to regroup and then push forward or just try to get the hell out of here?

I take many casualties up and down the beach as I move forward popping smoke for cover. The only damage I know I did was to kill two German soldiers, causing that squad to retreat. Hooray for me!

With sighting so much harder in H2H, this could be a tough one with the Germans dug in and with bunkers and such. I hope I didn't leave too many targets for the Germans. Jess seems to have turned off the "*" symbol that lets you know you have been spotted.
Post #: 1
Beyond the Beach-head - 1/25/2003 10:01:23 PM   
CPT Shoe

Heard the enemy planes flying all night. They flew beyond the beaches moving well inland. Most of our communications to the rear have been cut, and nobody seems to know what is going on. It is obvious that the long awaited American GI's have arrived. Many bodies float among the shattered Higgins boats in the surf. Naval gunfire has shattered the once beautiful landscapes. This American commander knows a little about what he is doing, as his use of smoke has severely degraded our Lines-of-Sight. As far as we can tell he has yet to make a penetration of the sea wall. We have seen a few heads poke above the barrier wall, but our sharpshooters and AA machineguns have shown them the futility of their position. Much to our chagrin the finely positioned fortifications will be easily outflanked unless the smoke clears quickly. We can hear the sounds of some heavy equipment rumbling on the beach, but have yet to sight any serious armor threat to our front. Wish I had contact with my armor friends to the rear in case thing start getting rough.

"Come on men!" "Push the Americans back into the sea!"

From the new front...-Shoe

People like me should scare the hell out of you. Why? Because I can get inside your head. And once there, I run around like a squirrel through a habiTrail, flipping the switches that can make you do everything from craving a Pepsi to voting Republican.

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 2
- 1/26/2003 8:16:20 AM   
rbrunsman

You know how in the movie Saving Private Ryan when the men are on the beach and every time they move they get ripped by the German MGs? Well imagine that and you have a good idea of what happened to me in turn 2.

I've made a few forrays over the beach wall, but in doing so I cause the first squad into the breach to get cut down by the MGs. The next squad runs through and hopefully survives enough to pop smoke (x2 since the weather is so clear) and allow the next squad to move up and repeat the process. I hope I have enough men and time to reach the top of the cliffs.

I just wish my naval guns would check in to see if I have any targets for them! It must be tea time, because they aren't answering my radio calls.:mad:

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 3
- 1/26/2003 9:30:57 AM   
M4Jess

:D

Im making war, not trouble~

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 4
- 1/26/2003 10:10:09 AM   
CPT Shoe

The naval gunfare may have ceased for the moment, but the neverending thump of what sounds like numerous 60MM machine guns is actually the U.S. mortar fire. It is unrelenting and starting to cause a panic in the heavy emplacements.

The line of smoke clearly marks the American advance ever closer to our positions, and if it were night, we could easily see by the glowing red barrels of our machineguns.

Dissapointment runs at a fever pitch up and down the lines, as we have failed to stem the penetration of the sea wall. There are at least two major penetrations of what we hoped would be a better barrier than it has been. Among the billowing protective blanket of smoke that conceals the American advance, the clear and unmistakable sound of a tracked verhicle can be heard. Without a doubt, the crafty American has been able to advance some armor past the barrier of the sea wall.

We scratch our heads and wonder in amazement at how much smoke the American GI can carry, and pray for a strong wind to carry his curtain away so that we might kill the Bastards before they are knocking down the doors of our Father's houses.

People like me should scare the hell out of you. Why? Because I can get inside your head. And once there, I run around like a squirrel through a habiTrail, flipping the switches that can make you do everything from craving a Pepsi to voting Republican.

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 5
- 1/26/2003 3:30:21 PM   
rbrunsman

Ahhh, the sweet smell of toasted Jerry! We finally drew some blood against the German strongholds by torching one of the many gun emplacements along the top of the cliffs.

The cliffs are crawling with snipers and they are better shots than I have ever seen before. They take out about 3 of my men before I can even spot them and then it is just luck if I can bring enough firepower to bear against them to get a lucky kill.

We are making progress in the western gully, having routed out a couple squads and a few MGs. Let's see if I get thrown back to the sea wall.

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 6
- 1/26/2003 10:14:21 PM   
CPT Shoe

We must try to turn the tide. The Americans continue to creep forward as if they also are empowered by mother nature. To make things worse the earthshaking devastation of the Naval gunfire has again joined the machinegun like repetition of 60mm mortar. The enemy smoke lays heavy and slowly envelopes our positions. We hear a rapid exchange of gunfire, followed by the deathly silence that can only mean another fallen comrade.

Flank protective machineguns were supressed, the opening of the bunker was heavily smoked, and a brave hearted Bazooka team sneakes up to the flank and ruptures our bunker with a feirce explosion.

We continue to pick away at the enemy with machine gun and sharpshooter, and the sole satisafaction received is listening to an occasional percussion of enemy armor vehicles running into our well placed mines.

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 7
- 1/27/2003 4:52:23 AM   
rbrunsman

[QUOTE]Originally posted by CPT Shoe
[B]...and the sole satisafaction received is listening to an occasional percussion of enemy armor vehicles running into our well placed mines. [/B][/QUOTE]

I wasn't going to mention that significant blow to my men's morale. There are **** mines all over the place, I thought I was in the clear in that area and BOOM there goes one of my precious AFVs!:mad:

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 8
- 1/27/2003 6:11:23 AM   
rbrunsman

No mines this turn, I think I may have located all of them the hard way.

I've reached the top of the cliffs in another location now. It is hard to move forward in all this rough, pock-marked terrain.

No major kills this time. Every time I cause a German squad to retreat, it falls back into very nice defensive terrain, so it is hard to eliminate a squad in one turn.

The navy boys finally woke up and gave us quite a show! I don't know if any Germans were under those barrages, but if they were and they are still alive, they should be shaken up for a while.

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 9
- 1/27/2003 8:55:47 AM   
CPT Shoe

More Naval gunfire.

I have some machinegun crews that are now just spotters as the once strong barrels of their guns lay in a puddle of molten metal at their feet.

Hardly any forces left to give resistance to the tide. Have to continue to prolong the inevitable, in the hopes that we may delay them just enough, so that resistance can be more determined farther to our rear. Time to fix bayonets.

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 10
- 1/27/2003 11:59:44 AM   
VikingNo2

GO SHOE!

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 11
- 1/27/2003 12:59:07 PM   
rbrunsman

OK, VikingNo2, I won't take offense because both of you guys are in the military. Although, I thought you Marines didn't get along with the "lowly" Army saps.:)

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 12
- 1/27/2003 1:06:27 PM   
VikingNo2

Hey someone has got to take over when we leave:rolleyes:

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 13
- 1/27/2003 2:40:58 PM   
rbrunsman

Oh, that's mean. True, but mean. :)

Well, we reached our first couple of VHs. However it occurs to me that even if I do capture most of the VHs, it will not be a victory for me because I am losing so many squads. Many of them started understrength and snipers can disperse them. Whereas the Germans only have a bunch of bunkers and on a few squads and MG teams that I have actually seen. Plus more snipers than you can shake a stick at.

I hope the AB guys are doing there best to keep the armor away from the beaches because if they show up there is not much I have to slow them down.

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 14
- 1/28/2003 9:24:59 AM   
CPT Shoe

:rolleyes: I rufuse to comment on any of this inter-service jaw flappin

Marine translation: "ugh-ugh!", Gerrr. (Said while picking arse with one hand and wiping snot off nose with sleeve of other arm):p

The Naval Gunfire still rains.

We have lined up all our Grenadiers, and under direction of an obershutze had them all piss on the barrals of the machineguns. We were able to squeeze out a few more rounds and send some additional American squads home from the war early.

Somebody is getting a little bold with their Amphib Armor, and letting them climb the bluffs unattended. I think we have managed to disable one with a PzBuechse 39 (AT Rifles, what a brave idea). The best we can tell, that leaves only two more in operation this side of the sea wall. The American may have taken two minor objectives, but it has been costly, and we are by no means ready to surrender that loss. We are mustering volunteers for a counter-attack right now. At least our supply of mortar rounds is still holding out.

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 15
- 1/28/2003 10:28:51 AM   
VikingNo2

ROTFLMAO

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 16
- 1/28/2003 11:37:42 PM   
rbrunsman

OK, lets try this for the third time!:mad: I tried to post last night (1:00am) but it didn't work and again this morning and now one more time from work.

Those **** snipers are hitting 2 out of 3 shots at 500 yards! Ouch! Especially when you have 3 man squads running around looking for cover.

That Sherman that got immobilized decided to park right in front of an FO bunker, giving the AT rifleman therein about 6 perfect broadside shots. Oh well, I've fixed my "you've been spotted (*)" problem so hopefully I won't do that again. :mad: It was very clever of Shoe to turn down the Op Fire on several of his bunkers so that I think I'm in relative safety and then all hell breaks loose on me.:(

Other than those minor setbacks, we have attained the tops of the cliffs in a couple locations and are now engaging squads in the treeline beyond the cliff face. The gullies that I want to secure are proving to be more difficult with the trenches and snipers and odd bunker pining me down.

The barbwired seawall is really stalling my advance also. The men who had to jump out of the Higgins boats are only now arriving to reinforce the men originally pinned against the seawall. There aren't many left in some areas, but in others we are overrunning the resistance. A Flamethrower squad can do that (10 men, 2 Fthrowers and a satchel charge). :D

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 17
- 1/29/2003 4:37:58 AM   
CPT Shoe

The masses are starting to build now. To make things worse, my large mortars are now out of all but smoke rounds. Still have 81mm left and we are trying to work the infantry stalled behind the sea wall.

Units that have reached the top of the cliffs now have free rein and are impossible to contain. I am calling frantically for help on all means of communication, with no results. I have launched carrier pidgeons and dispatched runners with tin cans and string (desperate times call for desperate measures) to try and make their way to our rear, but sadly the Naval gunfire drowns out any sound we might have been able to hear.

We are hanging on by our fingertips.

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 18
- 1/29/2003 6:45:35 AM   
rbrunsman

I vote that you lay a serious hurtin' on me with that smoke! You have no idea how much it burns our eyes and blinds us... Oh, perhaps I said too much. :D

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 19
- 1/29/2003 1:15:56 PM   
rbrunsman

Moving forward in some areas and grinding halt in others. In the east a HUGE bunker just decided to open up on me from 3 hexes away. They seem to be sprouting from the earth. I don't want to say how close one of my Shermans was to finding that one the hard way. It has moved to a (hopefully) safer location.

The west seems to be where my advance is moving south the best although with my last move I discovered a second 88mm AAA gun just waiting to tear me up. That's two 88s (I think) that are just a little too close to each other. I think I'll call my friends in the navy...

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 20
- 1/30/2003 10:27:58 AM   
CPT Shoe

**** Navy still playing that same old song "whistle, BANG!"

Wish I could say that I have a lot of other surprises.

I am doing no more than holding on where I can, and falling back and harrassing where the american is achieving success.

Somebody please conjure me up some armor, even a company of Infantry applied at the right place may save the day here. The Western axis of advance off the beach is fully in American hands, but we are still giving them hell in the East.

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 21
- 1/30/2003 10:37:21 AM   
M4Jess

:D as it should be CPT Shoe...dig in!!!!!!
and remember... this is only scen 1!

the Americans are in trouble!

now stop..dig in and look forwrd to your Panzers!

:D Jess

a Jess told him~

Im making war, not trouble~

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 22
- 1/30/2003 1:09:56 PM   
rbrunsman

I hope those Panzers arrive in scen 2, not now. If they show up at the end of the gullies they will roll me right back into the sea!

However, seeing as how there aren't any panzers to see yet, we keep moving forward, ever forward into the, now less continuous, MG fire. I really laid a hurting on a couple bunkers (didn't knock them out yet, but I'm now right behind them) and those two 88s are now manned by 1 or 2 men each (it made it easier since I dropped small and medium naval guns right on top of them). There is also a nice ammo dump ready to have someone light the fuse and watch the fireworks. Those are cool when they go up!
Are ammo dumps politically neutral (i.e. can anyone drop by for a fill-up?)?

I also got another FT squad up to an entrenched grenadiere squad. Not a good situation for the germans. 6 killed in one blast. The rest decided they were done fighting for the day.

I have reached the woods beyond the cliffs in a couple spots and there are just a few grenadier squads trying to resist whole companies charging forward.

I'm still not sure I'll win this on points because of the heavy losses I have to take to reach the objectives before the end of the game.

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 23
- 2/2/2003 2:11:28 PM   
rbrunsman

Rolling forward with little opposition now. Except there are a few very stubborn bunkers that just shrug off FTs and Satchel Charges. I am facing almost no resistance in the west, but Grenadiere squads keep popping up in the east and I am getting bogged down a little.

I did learn what the silver bullet is for an ammo dump. FTs light those things up with one shot! I'm used to having to pound them forever with regular infantry and tanks, but just one shot with the FT and I got to watch the fireworks display. :cool:

Everyone is a potential [PBEM] enemy, every place a potential [PBEM] battlefield. --Zensunni Wisdom

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 24
- 2/3/2003 12:16:04 AM   
CPT Shoe

Buying time...every little bit helps.

Despair has started to creep into my fine German soldiers. The continuous pounding from the sea and ever-rising tide of American flesh has started to cause effects that are disconcerting, but understandable.

German forces who have not been in contact up till this point are breaking, popping smoke, and leaving their positions. While a stuborn few who have been in continuous contact remain strong. The commendable crew of one bunker in particular, have weathered numerous assaults by satchel charge, flame thrower and direct fire, but remain in the fight. Sadly for them they are unsuportable as they have been enveloped by the enemy. They can fire to their front, where the foolhardy venture, but resistance is heavy to their sides and rear where they (and we), are unable to place fire. If only my entire force were made up of these fine sons of the Fatherland!!

We do our best, and will not surrender while we still have the means to resist, but even the bravest are writing that last letter to home. Hoping that we can make our father's proud in what may be the last moments of our lives, I leave my foxhole to try to rally what remains.

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 25
- 2/4/2003 7:39:55 PM   
CPT Shoe

I keep hearing "resistance is futile" running in the back of my mind.

We hold on in a few tiny pockets of resistance, hoping (so far in vain) that we might see some reinforcements. The Americans have pushed far beyond the sea wall now. Shortly they will have captured the key road networks leading off the beach, and the Fatherland will truely have a fight on it's hand.

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 26
- 2/6/2003 12:42:10 PM   
rbrunsman

Resistance is so light now that I'm getting sloppy and it cost me a tank.:mad: I had just blown a bunker deep behind the beaches and so I figured I was safe from infantry since none had fired on me the turn before that. So, being extra careful of the road being mined, I drove along the edge of the woods next to the road and just as I reach the dead bunker BOOM, there goes my tank to a severely reduced infantry squad. One burst from an MG and the squad disperses. Not a good trade of assets.

Another example, my FO is strolling the beaches where there had been no action in some time and BOOM, there goes both men, blown to pieces by a mine. :mad:

Other than that, it is just mop up time (unless Panzers arrive).

Everyone is a potential [PBEM] enemy, every place a potential [PBEM] battlefield. --Zensunni Wisdom

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 27
- 2/7/2003 4:57:34 AM   
CPT Shoe

Mop up operations are going to be more difficult than the American realizes. Many mines still exist, and there are still a few stalwort forces bunkered in on overwatch positions along the beach. Bunkers that have been by-passed as US forces race for road intersections will cause havoc as follow on forces try to offload. Managed to destroy some ammo stockpiles left behind on the beach, but other than the momentary joy of a careless commander loosing his AFV, the outlook of holding a static defensive line is bleak indeed.

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 28
- 2/7/2003 6:25:40 AM   
rbrunsman

I haven't seen the turn yet, but if you've managed to hide some squads at the beaches/cliffs that just let my forces slide by, then I have 2 words: "Uh Oh!":eek:

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 29
- 2/7/2003 11:08:29 AM   
rbrunsman

No worries. Just a bunker that I had smoked and that has been suppressed for a long time woke up and is taking his frustrations out on those poor ammo boxes. I thought I had some German squads running rampant on the beaches.

Still light resistance in the forests beyond the beaches and a little resistance as my men move up to take the VHs in the Gulleys. Unfortunately for me, my delpleted squads are the ones bumping into the resistance and they are getting dispersed.

The battle is only half over and I am reaching the southern end of the map. So, I am setting up for the arrival of German reinforcements where I can. And, there are still a few annoying 81mm mortars to locate and dispatch. :mad:

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SPWaW AAR/DAR >> Jess' Beyond the Beachhead PBEM scenario Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI