Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

WH40k?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> WH40k? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
WH40k? - 6/14/2014 3:12:11 PM   
wodin

Are there any WH40K mods around? For universe?

Thanks

Post #: 1
RE: WH40k? - 6/14/2014 3:26:22 PM   
Solarius Scorch

While the idea is exciting, squeezing it into DWE mechanics would be tricky for two reasons:
1) There's no real tech progress in WH40K (except the Tau).
2) The WH40K civilizations aren't really balanced, concept-wise. Eldars are weak and confined to worldships (not counting the Exodites), Orks are far too powerful to be represented as a single empire, Necrons would probably wipe out everyone if they were to act together, and so on.

Perhaps we could have a historical scenario back when the universe was still young, but that would require much patchworking...

Forever Future 1.7 for Call to Power - the biggest mod for the best Civilization-like game ever!

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 2
RE: WH40k? - 6/14/2014 3:40:33 PM   
wodin

I've just started getting into the whole WH40K thing. I can see where you mean about tech advancement.

(in reply to Solarius Scorch)
Post #: 3
RE: WH40k? - 6/14/2014 6:40:47 PM   
UmpaLumpa

Yeah i really like WH40k!!

I just changed the Vanilla Humans to the Space Marines exterminate all!

I have change Pictures and Troops allready, maybe you want them too?
Here are the Troops, i have use the Ultramarines cause i like them much :)
I cant linkt them here but maybe i can send you an pm

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 4
RE: WH40k? - 6/14/2014 10:30:36 PM   
mensrea

I'm currently working on a WH40k mod. So far its pretty massive and I have revamped almost every aspect of the game that is moddable.

Since it would be impossible to have the mod set in M41 I decided to set it at the beginning of The Great Crusade, just after the Imperium unites Sol.
I am replacing all the races with races listed as having been encountered during the crusade.

Solaris made some good points. Sadly, lore wise the Imperium is imitative not innovative, but gamewise we can just look at the research system as an abstraction of recovering tech that was lost in the age of strife and learning how to replicate it.

Solaris also made a good point about balance. Most of the xenos encountered by the Imperium in the great crusade were exterminated with relative ease. Rather than fight against the lore I just accept this and categorize races as being major or minor. Major races are the Imperium, the Orks and the Eldar (maiden world not craft world). They are far superior to the other races overall, though specialties exist among the minor races. If you play a minor race, just consider it as being a more difficult experience.

Orks are proving hard to squeeze in though...I'm thinking of just giving them some unique racial tech/components and denying them everything but that.

So far I have all the core changes finished and am done with about 25% of the races. The races is the most difficult part, and I just spent the past week or so compiling data from the WH40k wikis http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/List_of_Sentient_Species

I was going to wait to do a real release but since there is interest I could make what I have playable and post it as an alpha.

(in reply to UmpaLumpa)
Post #: 5
RE: WH40k? - 6/15/2014 10:18:09 PM   
mensrea

Here are some pictures from the mod so far:

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by mensrea -- 6/15/2014 11:20:07 PM >

(in reply to mensrea)
Post #: 6
RE: WH40k? - 6/15/2014 10:20:35 PM   
mensrea

Race selection:

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by mensrea -- 6/15/2014 11:20:57 PM >

(in reply to mensrea)
Post #: 7
RE: WH40k? - 6/15/2014 10:22:48 PM   
mensrea

The Imperium (necessarily OP):

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by mensrea -- 6/15/2014 11:23:08 PM >

(in reply to mensrea)
Post #: 8
RE: WH40k? - 6/15/2014 10:30:57 PM   
mensrea

Attached is the mod so far. Please keep in mind that while it is playable it is not finished by any means. Lots of stuff needs to be added or changed.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by mensrea -- 6/15/2014 11:31:34 PM >

(in reply to mensrea)
Post #: 9
RE: WH40k? - 6/16/2014 10:13:43 AM   
necaradan666

Looks interesting but Orks are Extremely Cautious? I'd think Extremely Reckless sounds more in character.

And no scientists? Gotta leave a little room for Weirdboyz.

(in reply to mensrea)
Post #: 10
RE: WH40k? - 6/16/2014 12:59:53 PM   
ponasozis

Imperium should consist of 2 factions
imperial guard and space marine chapters
at least of 2 factions
They should also be hard coded to be allies and unable to start war with each other

also chaos forces should be added in form of skaxturis invasion
orcs should have fast reproduction rate and extremely reckless
eldar should have slow reproduction rate
and humans normal reproduction rate

(in reply to necaradan666)
Post #: 11
RE: WH40k? - 6/16/2014 1:39:41 PM   
mensrea

Orks are extremely cautious because cautious/reckless in this game dictate how big of a military a race builds. If I set it to reckless they will maintain a small military, but we all know the whole Ork race is pretty much always on a war footing, hence cautious it is. And yeah, no scientists, if anything I would consider the mekboys to be their scientists, but given all their buffs I have to try to balance them some what. And technically, they don't invent things they just cobble them together and force them to work with psychic powers, which is the reason none of their tech works when wielded by other races.

You can't really "hard code" an appropriate relationship between the Imperium and the Space Marines; I could make them like each other but that could still result in hostilities, which wouldn't make sense until the heresy. I am kinda limited in what I can do, mod wise, as there aren't really as many options for modders as one might initially think. I plan on making a scenario, though, which will involve them in various capacities, notably leading up to the heresy. In that scenario the Shakturi will be replaced with the traitor legions. I wouldn't make loyalist space marines a separate faction though. During the crusades space marines worked right along side imperial guard, often having both soldiers in the same transport ships.

50% is the max reproduction rate, Orks have it. I made most reproduction rates higher than normal (humans ~20-30 depending on variety, elder 14). If I set Eldar as low as the lore they would be useless game-wise. In the lore their power is focused on Craftworlds, world sized ships. For numerous obvious reasons we cant include those so I am using the maiden world Eldar and the Exodites, a more backwards part of their race that presumably humps a lot more.

Aside, Horus Rising does mention a meeting between maiden world Eldar and Horus during the Great Crusade. It didn't go well...

If you do want to discuss the heresy scenario, please use spoiler tags or something. I don't want to give the story away for people who are not familiar as I think it is a good story. I am waiting for the realistic map of the galaxy to be released by Osito before I begin work on that scenario.

EDIT: Please, if you play the mod, give me feedback on it. I have to warn you though, if you build the black market, GEC, or solar farm facilities they will show up as pirate bases on your facility list. You still control them, and they do what they are supposed to do for you. You can only build one of those facilities on a planet, though. I have worked out a way to fit 3 on a planet but its still not what I wanted.

< Message edited by mensrea -- 6/16/2014 2:45:27 PM >

(in reply to ponasozis)
Post #: 12
RE: WH40k? - 6/16/2014 6:02:06 PM   
Solarius Scorch

I can see no problem whatsoever with Imperial Guard as the main unit type and Space Marines as the commando unit type. The game doesn't describe any cultural processes, including relationships within castes and such.

Forever Future 1.7 for Call to Power - the biggest mod for the best Civilization-like game ever!

(in reply to mensrea)
Post #: 13
RE: WH40k? - 6/19/2014 12:40:40 AM   
mensrea

That's a good idea Solarius. I think I will do just that.

I see that the mod was downloaded a number of times. Any opinions or problems? I want to do a little playtesting but I am ultimately ready to release it; the scenario will just have to wait.

(in reply to Solarius Scorch)
Post #: 14
RE: WH40k? - 6/19/2014 7:26:40 PM   
Glymner

Building the Energy Collection Systems or The State Sanctioned Black Markets, builds a pirate base.

(in reply to mensrea)
Post #: 15
RE: WH40k? - 6/19/2014 7:51:27 PM   
mensrea

Glymner, that is the unfortunate side effect of adding facilities that give research bonuses/income bonuses. They should still work to your empires benefit though, they will just show up as pirate bases in the facilities list. I have not observed any negative side effects of it yet. If anything, I'm thinking that if you have one of those on your planet it will not only benefit you as listed but prevent pirates from building bases that benefit them.

If anyone wonders why they aren't hearing button click noises its because I replaced them all with blank sound files. Those damn things drove me up the wall.

(in reply to Glymner)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> WH40k? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI