Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

[FIXED] Habu Over Kola

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> [FIXED] Habu Over Kola Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
[FIXED] Habu Over Kola - 1/5/2014 5:25:46 PM   
cwemyss

First off... I think this is my first real post since playing the game. IT IS AWESOME. The depth and options are amazing. I haven't gotten to dive in anywhere near as much as I'd like, but I'm looking forward to playing a couple hours during midnight feedings over the next month. :-)

Second, HUGE props to anyone who's building scenarios. It's incredibly easy to import a whole buch of units, build a bunch of missions, and so on. This sim is amazing, all the options it gives allow you to build whatever you want... I'm incredibly excited. But it is NOT easy to get all the behaviors tuned, the timing worked out, and so on.... and I've started very small. So a tip o' the hat to the people who have the time and ability to build the community scenarios.

And third, if this belongs in the Scenarios thread, I apologize. It wasn't ever going to be much of a "scenario", really more an excuse to watch an SR-71 go blazing through the late-80s Kola Peninsula defenses. So there's not much of a briefing, no backstory, etc. I was purely working out the mechanics, and here's how it went.

First step: Build the "blue" side. I based two Blackbirds at RAF Mildenhall, and sent them screaming off to recon Murmansk and the western reaches of the White Sea. I threw in a couple Soviet CVBGs so they'd have something to find. The SR-71 did the mission just fine, but they ran out of fuel after they finished the recon mission, and ended up swimming in the North Sea.

Second step: Add a pair of KC-135Qs at Mildenhall and set up a refuelling track, so that the Sled would have a place to top off on the way home. And heres where things went screwy:

1) After finishing the recon mission, there's no Mission Complete status, Habu immediately switches status to "Heading ToRefuelPoint (Manouvering ToRefuel)". The mission is set up with Navigation Type "Single Loop" and the "One Time Only" box is checked. But... if they're just going to gas up and head home, no problem.

2) Uh-oh. Post-refuel, they turn back to the northeast, and run another loop through the Recon mission. Finish the loop, again, and it's back to Step 1.

3) At this point, I've seen two different behaviors:
A) They fail to take on fuel, start the recon lap again, and go "Bingo" somewhere over northern Finland. Reduce speed to Cruise (480 kts/~10k meters) and head for home. If I'd put in the Kola defenses at that point an SA-5 would probably get them. I haven't, so instead they run out of fuel partway home and crash over Sweden. Meantime, the Tanker has turned to intercept, but hasn't sped up from "Loiter" (230 kts) and fails.
B) They actually DO take on fuel, and start out on a third lap. I didn't keep it running long enough to see what happens at that point.

I'm using Build 481, and I know there was some talk about fixing Refuel logic on Build 482. But I think it's at least equally likely that I'm missing something in the way I've got the missions set up. Can someone with a bit more experience (and at this point, that's pretty much everyone) take a look?

The attached ZIP has two files: One is the scenario at time = 0 (12:01pm zulu), the other is a few hours later, with the Blackbird most of the way through his recon mission.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Sunburn -- 8/24/2014 11:22:30 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Habu Over Kola - 1/5/2014 6:13:11 PM   
dandin384

Loaded up the refuel logic save and let Habu 2 refuel and he did start the loop again. I recommend just deleting the support mission and plotting his course manually, that way he will fly the route, refuel, then loiter in the area until you give him new orders. There might be something wrong with the "one time only" check box in the mission editor. I also noticed his OECM/DECM sensors were on, which is not good if you want to stay undetected.

I like the scenario though, great work and hope this helped!

< Message edited by dandin384 -- 1/5/2014 7:14:05 PM >

(in reply to cwemyss)
Post #: 2
RE: Habu Over Kola - 1/5/2014 6:18:11 PM   
mikmykWS

Thanks for the report and the save games. Easy to see! Have logged this an an item to be addressed.

(in reply to cwemyss)
Post #: 3
RE: Habu Over Kola - 1/5/2014 6:34:12 PM   
cwemyss

quote:

ORIGINAL: dandin384

Loaded up the refuel logic save and let Habu 2 refuel and he did start the loop again. I recommend just deleting the support mission and plotting his course manually, that way he will fly the route, refuel, then loiter in the area until you give him new orders. There might be something wrong with the "one time only" check box in the mission editor. I also noticed his OECM/DECM sensors were on, which is not good if you want to stay undetected.

I like the scenario though, great work and hope this helped!

Yeah, I can get it to work that way.... but I don't want to be the KC-135 nav, I want to be the theater commander, who finds the CVBGs then gets NCA permission to flatten the area with a couple Tridernt C-4 warheads. :-)

(in reply to dandin384)
Post #: 4
RE: Habu Over Kola - 1/5/2014 6:37:05 PM   
dandin384

quote:

ORIGINAL: cwemyss

Yeah, I can get it to work that way.... but I don't want to be the KC-135 nav, I want to be the theater commander, who finds the CVBGs then gets NCA permission to flatten the area with a couple Tridernt C-4 warheads. :-)

The tankers support mission is fine, I was referring to the support mission for Habu 2

(in reply to cwemyss)
Post #: 5
RE: Habu Over Kola - 1/5/2014 6:43:12 PM   
cwemyss

Fair enough.... but honestly, the real reason I want Habu's mission to work, is that I wanted to play this as Red and see if it's possible to stop a Blackbird.

(in reply to dandin384)
Post #: 6
RE: Habu Over Kola - 1/5/2014 7:00:29 PM   
mikmykWS

We'll take a look.

Thanks!

M

(in reply to cwemyss)
Post #: 7
RE: Habu Over Kola - 1/5/2014 7:48:24 PM   
cwemyss

No worries, in the meantime I'll go back to running around off the North Cape with Norwegian gun goats. :-)

(in reply to mikmykWS)
Post #: 8
RE: Habu Over Kola - 8/24/2014 10:22:11 AM   
Dimitris

Fixed. The Habu now remembers its pre-refuel "mission over" status and heads back to base after tanking.

BTW, I'd really like to see this scenario finished and published

(in reply to cwemyss)
Post #: 9
RE: Habu Over Kola - 8/25/2014 2:14:54 AM   
cf_dallas

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sunburn

Fixed. The Habu now remembers its pre-refuel "mission over" status and heads back to base after tanking.

BTW, I'd really like to see this scenario finished and published

Whoa....I hadn't thought about this one in a while, thanks for keeping up with things! I guess you guys vacation is over. :-)

I'll see if I can cook something up. I'm pretty sure that with an alert SA-N-6 shooter, it's a moot point, the Sled dies. I'll have to play with it, see if I can get a balance.

Formerly cwemyss

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> [FIXED] Habu Over Kola Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI