Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

I won

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager >> I won Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
I won - 11/12/2014 8:08:13 PM   
Jorge_Stanbury

The hammer and the sickle was planted on the moon by some Russian dude, don't remember the name, but I was sure he was also the 1st man on orbit. This was on Q2 1970 at "hard difficulty", bit reloading after failure (more on that)

Some comments:

- I really like the game, it is simple and addictive; although doesn't have a lot of replay value, other than playing the Capitalists, unless of course there is an expansion

- I didn't like that it ends abruptely after the moonwalk... I had some missions still in progress. It would be better if it allows you to keep playing until a specific date after the end cutscene

- As mentioned before, at least on hard level, it was almost impossible not to load after failures... simply put, I was either short on chash (first 8 years) or in a short "race" (later on). Failure is too crippling now, and not in terms of "prestige" which I am fine losing, but in terms of the siginficant expense and lost research that they bring. Mission failure should not be all or nothing. Maybe you failed part of the mission, get a penalty in prestige, but you don't need to do it again and again.

- The skills are not well balanced, some are very important, some are almost useless (rocket research for example).

- It costs way too much to maintain rockets and programs. You made the mistake of not closing programs or getting rid of your old rockets and you will pay a heavy price. In the other hand, There was no penalty on having barely more than three programs and 2 rockets open during the entire game. I guess later on (by 1963 you start getting a lot of cash), but early on, this is critical

Hope this helps

Post #: 1
RE: I won - 11/12/2014 8:09:49 PM   
wolf14455

Congratz

SwedeWolf

I was called Lill Sputnik (Little sputnik) as a baby in 58-59

(in reply to Jorge_Stanbury)
Post #: 2
RE: I won - 11/13/2014 1:18:23 PM   
shaunchattey

I made it my goal to win for the 'Murcan side to counter this, but I ended up with endless deaths from accidents :(

(in reply to wolf14455)
Post #: 3
RE: I won - 11/14/2014 5:49:02 AM   
Nacho84

Hello Jorge,

Very happy to hear that you're enjoying SPM . I've read some complaints about the game ending too abruptly after the Moon landing, so I'm planning that. You won't see the change in SPM 1.1.0 (which has already been sent to Slitherine), but I will definitely add it on SPM 1.2.0.

Not sure what you mean regarding the "Rocket" skills not being very useful. You surely need to use quite a bunch of non human-rated rockets throughout the game?

Cheers,

Ignacio Liverotti
Lead Developer of Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager
Polar Motion

www.polar-motion.com
spm.slitherine.com
Twitter: https://twitter.com/PolarMotion

(in reply to shaunchattey)
Post #: 4
RE: I won - 11/14/2014 12:58:07 PM   
Jorge_Stanbury

Thanks

Regarding rockets, and this is only on a Soviet game perspective:

You need one rocket: the earliest Sputnik, that is it. Then maybe "Luna" if you want to win the early moon probe/ impact. Then you can dismiss any scientist with high rocket rates, as they are not needed. Of course there is no need to train this anymore.

Why? because afterwards, the human rated rockets rules; the problem is Proton KD: this becomes your "jack-of-all trades" once available. Better, cheaper than Soyuz and more important, capable of carrying almost all probes to the moon/ venus

No need to research the rocket version; just go directly with the human rated Proton KD

This is of course very unbalanced; not only is Proton KD unrealistically low, but it would be better if there is a system of unlocking rockets before you can start researching human rated version

(in reply to Nacho84)
Post #: 5
RE: I won - 11/18/2014 3:18:37 AM   
N_Molson

Hello Jorge,

All the 'secret' behind 'non man-rated' and 'man-rated' rockets lies in those two parameters :

- Reliability : the man-rated ones are safer, you can reach higher Max. R&D and Max. Safety values.
- Cost : the above safety comes at a price, 'non-man rated' rockets are significantly cheaper than the 'man-rated' ones.

So it depends of what you are planning to do, really. If you want to fire a lot of uncrewed suborbital tests to make your spacecraft safe, the R-7 'Luna' will be a precious tool, while also allowing you to send the simplest probes towards the Moon. On the other hand, if you want to focus all your efforts on key crewed missions that will grant you a lot of prestige, stressing on the manned rocket programs might be rewarding (provided you are not too unlucky and have good MC controllers !).

Overall yes, the Soviets are better with man-rated launchers, and NASA is better with non-man rated launchers (in terms of variety, raw power and costs). The Saturn-V, and the Saturn C3-B are definitively exceptions in their own - the hydrogen/oxygen-fueled S-IVB upper stage is (and was) definitively a super-weapon, and certainly one of the technological breakthroughs* that sent Neil & Buzz to the Moon ! -.

*the Atlas-Centaur, also featured ingame, was the testbed for LOX/LH2 propulsion.

Nicolas Escats
Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager Contributor

Post #: 6
RE: I won - 11/18/2014 7:20:07 PM   
Jorge_Stanbury

Thanks for the thoughtful answer

But low costs can be deceptive; one R7 "Luna" costs 1,950 which is lower than a Vostok at 3,413 but the rockets maintenance is 300 per season which adds to 1,200 every year for a rocket you seldom use; and before 1963, this is a problem as you are cash constrained.

Moreover, it is possible to use R-7 Sputnik for those sub-orbital tests at even less price.

(in reply to N_Molson)
Post #: 7
RE: I won - 11/18/2014 8:39:19 PM   
N_Molson

Hello Jorge,

Notice that the a rocket (and any other program in the game) maintenance costs is proportional to the unit cost and the program opening cost. So the most expensive programs are also those that burden your budget with heavy maintenance costs, and it's where "low cost" programs can shine. Also, closing "outdated" programs is definitively a part of the player strategy. That may seem trivial, but its very important to close programs at the right moment. Every $ or P saved is important, but you don't want to close a program and realize you'll have to open it again .

Personally, I use extensively the R-7 'Luna' for the Soyuz 7K-OK / LOK uncrewed tests, as the R-7 'Sputnik' is not powerful enough for those.

Nicolas Escats
Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager Contributor

Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager >> I won Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI