Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

[WAD] Naval Gunnery

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> [WAD] Naval Gunnery Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
[WAD] Naval Gunnery - 11/11/2014 10:33:10 PM   
Barleyman

And the accuracy or lack of thereof. I was trying out Lion's den scenario, one of those Vietnam era operations. There you're supposed to bombard a fair amount of targets using gunfire only.

Now in my experience the naval gunfire on fixed targets tends to be all over the place. Is there any way to improve it? Spotter would probably help (would it?) but those ships don't have helicopters.. Beyond that, does running radar on do anything much to help gunnery on land installations? Accuracy on surface targets isn't that great either but it appears that running a radar helps there. Although you don't get the radar tracking lines.

Does going faster/slower do anything? What about closing in / going sideways? In general, any way to get more than about 5% of rounds to actually hit? NVA 130mm coastal batteries seem to have better luck there.

< Message edited by Sunburn -- 11/19/2014 4:58:39 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Naval Gunnery - 11/12/2014 4:08:25 PM   
mikmykWS

It's a CEP model so not every hit is spot on but degrees of spot on (if that makes sense) Check your logs and let us know what they say. The game does account for fire control systems and there are some things coming which will increase the detail of the model.

(in reply to Barleyman)
Post #: 2
RE: Naval Gunnery - 11/12/2014 4:33:13 PM   
Barleyman

I'll see if I can dig up one. Mostly it seems somewhat random distribution.

On the subject of accuracy, what can you do against fixed installations? Visual range spotting or bust? Is naval radar any use against land targets? Can you use choppers as forward spotters? Not that any are available in that scenario.

(in reply to mikmykWS)
Post #: 3
RE: Naval Gunnery - 11/12/2014 7:00:13 PM   
Barleyman

By the way I'm not sure this belongs to the tech support per se as I'm mostly trying to figure out some game mechanics.. I'm not sure if 1000ft variance between shots would be business as usual.

In any case, one of the logfiles attached. Lots of gunfire there but I was just wondering about the 203mm pattern and anything that could be done to improve it. As in something I'm doing wrong.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Barleyman)
Post #: 4
RE: Naval Gunnery - 11/16/2014 4:54:34 AM   
mikmykWS

We track stuff in tech support differently but if you don't want us to do that with your posts we won't anymore.

Helo spotting does help id targets but there is no bonus for spotting. Perhaps we should though. Added to our list of things to look at.

Thanks for the log files

Mike

< Message edited by mikmyk -- 11/16/2014 5:56:13 AM >

(in reply to Barleyman)
Post #: 5
RE: Naval Gunnery - 11/16/2014 8:34:36 AM   
Dimitris

Be aware that:

1) Against small point targets (e.g. coastal artillery pieces) a direct hit with ship guns is quite unlikely. It is reasonable and expected that the vast majority of your shots will impact more or less near the targets, with only the occasional lucky direct hit.

2) This doesn't mean you are not doing damage to them, though. Assuming you are using explosive shells, impacts close enough will damage the targets through proximity blast (this also depends on warhead type, target frontal area, target armor, whether the detonation point has LOS to the target and other factors). If you open the scenario in Scen-Edit mode and switch to the enemy side, I would guess that you will notice damage and possible losses to the targets you have been bombarding. (Check also the message log for the enemy)

(in reply to mikmykWS)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> [WAD] Naval Gunnery Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI