Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

SMG vs. LMG

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SMG vs. LMG Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
SMG vs. LMG - 4/10/2001 10:47:00 AM   
Gavris Narcis

Hi ! Do you know what difference is between SMG and LMG ? Leo.

Post #: 1
- 4/10/2001 11:19:00 AM   
chaos45

SMG = Submachine Gun. Close range hand held weapon with a high rate of fire, btu not very good at long range. LMG= Light Machine gun. Longer range squad support weapon meant to lay down alot of firepower at range to keep an enemy suppressed. Picture M60 from war mvies.

(in reply to Gavris Narcis)
Post #: 2
- 4/10/2001 11:24:00 AM   
PerryC

A smg fires pistol bullets (9mm, .45) so it has a very short range. A lmg fires full sized rifle bullets giving it the longer range. Lmgs usually have much hihger rates of fire as well. PerryC pro patria

Post #: 3
- 4/15/2001 12:31:00 AM   
Gavris Narcis

quote:

Originally posted by PerryC: A smg fires pistol bullets (9mm, .45) so it has a very short range. A lmg fires full sized rifle bullets giving it the longer range. Lmgs usually have much hihger rates of fire as well. PerryC pro patria
Full sized rifle bullets means that them were more longer (not thicker) then SMG bullets (pistol bullets) ? Or what ? By the way, what means .45 ? If I make a summary of what you say then a short bullet have a short range than the same type but more longer ? It is corect ? Really, I was don't know this ! Leo.

Post #: 4
- 4/15/2001 1:41:00 AM   
lnp4668

quote:

Originally posted by Gavris Narcis: Full sized rifle bullets means that them were more longer (not thicker) then SMG bullets (pistol bullets) ? Or what ? By the way, what means .45 ? If I make a summary of what you say then a short bullet have a short range than the same type but more longer ? It is corect ? Really, I was don't know this ! Leo.
You may wants to do some web search on the subject of millitary weapons. I am no expert, but a rifle bullet tend to be longer than a pistol bullet which give it more stability during firing, giving it a longer range.

"My friends, remember this, that there are no bad herbs, and no bad men; there are only bad cultivators." Les Miserables

Post #: 5
- 4/15/2001 3:29:00 AM   
Mike Wood

Hello... As has been stated above, the SMG or sub-machine gun (also called the MP or machine-pistol, as in MP-38) fires a pistol bullet and the light machine-gun fire a rifle bullet.
quote:

Originally posted by Gavris Narcis: Full sized rifle bullets means that them were more longer (not thicker) then SMG bullets (pistol bullets) ? Or what ? By the way, what means .45 ? If I make a summary of what you say then a short bullet have a short range than the same type but more longer ? It is correct ? Really, I was don't know this ! Leo.
A typical MP bullet would be the .45 calibre bullet. It takes 100 calibre (or caliber in modern English)to make one inch. So, .50 calibre is one half inch. This is a measure of diameter of the projectile. The .45 calibre comes to about 11.25mm (about 25 per inch) or 26 gauge (gauge is the number of projectiles required to make a pound, so a 12 gauge shotgun has 12 slugs per pound). The pistol bullet is shorter than a rifle bullet and does not have very much gun-powder in the shell. Muzzle velocities are low, in the case of the .45, about 450 feet per second. A typical light machine-gun bullet, such as the .30 calibre with the 1906 casing, or .30/06 is about three times as long and contains much more powder. This produces muzzle velocities in excess of 3000 feet per second. Just as important, is the barrel length of the weapon and the rifling in the barrel. The longer the bullet is pushed down the barrel, the faster it is going when it comes out. There is also a raised, steel spiral traveling along the inside of the barrel which cuts a groove in the bullet and causes it to spin. This groove and spinning cause the bullet to fly. In the case of the M-14 for instance, the bullet actually rises 6 inches over the first 500 meters. Note that in some old gun designs, such as shot-guns, there is no rifling. Machine-pistols have short barrels and light machine-guns have long barrels, so the bullets comes out faster and are spinning faster from the light machine-gun and therefore travel much, much farther and are much, much more accurate. For instance, the Thompson SMG has an effective range of about 25 feet. The M-60 light-machine gun (based on the M-42 Spandau) has an effective range of about 1100 meters. In short, the machine-pistol was designed to kill people at very, very short ranges (such as those found in a convenience store) and light machine-guns were designed to kill or suppress military troops at medium to long ranges. In World War II, most countries developed the infantry squad, which was one light machine-gun and supporting troops. These supporting troops were armed with rifles. It was assumed that the light machine-gun would suppress the enemy, while the riflemen actually killed them. Often, the squad leader would be armed with a machine-pistol. The purpose of this was two fold. Since he was supposed to be commanding troops and not firing his own weapon, giving him a very short ranged weapon kept him from using it. Also, if the enemy did close to pistol range, the machine-pistol gave an excellent, short range, addition to the squad fire power. At pistol range, a little longer bayonet range, troops were really in hand to hand combat and did not need commanding. Hope this Helps... Michael Wood

Post #: 6
- 4/15/2001 4:03:00 PM   
Gavris Narcis

quote:

Originally posted by Mike Wood: Hello... As has been stated above, the SMG or sub-machine gun (also called the MP or machine-pistol, as in MP-38) fires a pistol bullet and the light machine-gun fire a rifle bullet. A typical MP bullet would be the .45 calibre bullet. It takes 100 calibre (or caliber in modern English)to make one inch. So, .50 calibre is one half inch. This is a measure of diameter of the projectile. The .45 calibre comes to about 11.25mm (about 25 per inch) or 26 gauge (gauge is the number of projectiles required to make a pound, so a 12 gauge shotgun has 12 slugs per pound). The pistol bullet is shorter than a rifle bullet and does not have very much gun-powder in the shell. Muzzle velocities are low, in the case of the .45, about 450 feet per second. A typical light machine-gun bullet, such as the .30 calibre with the 1906 casing, or .30/06 is about three times as long and contains much more powder. This produces muzzle velocities in excess of 3000 feet per second. Just as important, is the barrel length of the weapon and the rifling in the barrel. The longer the bullet is pushed down the barrel, the faster it is going when it comes out. There is also a raised, steel spiral traveling along the inside of the barrel which cuts a groove in the bullet and causes it to spin. This groove and spinning cause the bullet to fly. In the case of the M-14 for instance, the bullet actually rises 6 inches over the first 500 meters. Note that in some old gun designs, such as shot-guns, there is no rifling. Machine-pistols have short barrels and light machine-guns have long barrels, so the bullets comes out faster and are spinning faster from the light machine-gun and therefore travel much, much farther and are much, much more accurate. For instance, the Thompson SMG has an effective range of about 25 feet. The M-60 light-machine gun (based on the M-42 Spandau) has an effective range of about 1100 meters. In short, the machine-pistol was designed to kill people at very, very short ranges (such as those found in a convenience store) and light machine-guns were designed to kill or suppress military troops at medium to long ranges. In World War II, most countries developed the infantry squad, which was one light machine-gun and supporting troops. These supporting troops were armed with rifles. It was assumed that the light machine-gun would suppress the enemy, while the riflemen actually killed them. Often, the squad leader would be armed with a machine-pistol. The purpose of this was two fold. Since he was supposed to be commanding troops and not firing his own weapon, giving him a very short ranged weapon kept him from using it. Also, if the enemy did close to pistol range, the machine-pistol gave an excellent, short range, addition to the squad fire power. At pistol range, a little longer bayonet range, troops were really in hand to hand combat and did not need commanding. Hope this Helps... Michael Wood
Excellent response !! Thank you. Leo.

Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SMG vs. LMG Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI