Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Same model weapons ?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Same model weapons ? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Same model weapons ? - 4/11/2001 2:17:00 AM   
Gavris Narcis

Hi ! By searching encyclopedia of SPWAW I found that it was for the same name of a weapon many models....for example: the german MG 42 HMG have a model named MG 42 LMG !!!!! What is/was this ? I've heard about the first, but nothing about the second model ! And many same things I've discovered in encyclopedia ! Please clarify me about this. Thank you. Leo.

Post #: 1
- 4/11/2001 2:29:00 AM   
Voriax

Hello Some weapons, like the MG34/42 were equipped with various additional gear. For example, an MG34 as a 'LMG' would mean the gun is fired from a bipod and would probably have only the small 50-round belt for ammunition. An HMG/MMG version would mean the same weapon on a tripod pedestal with optical sights and longer ammunition belts. So even though the gun itself is the same the setting and shooting characteristics would be very different...I've fired a Madsen LMG with similar setups as described above, and the difference is noticeable :) Voriax

Oh God give Me strength to accept those things I cannot change with a firearm!

(in reply to Gavris Narcis)
Post #: 2
- 4/11/2001 2:37:00 AM   
Mikimoto

Hello. The MG42 HMG is a Machinegun Team of four men with a Machinegun mounted on tripod (usually), carrying extra ammo, replacement gun barrels, whose intention is give heavy support and long range fire. The MG42 LMG (Light Machinegun) is the same Machinegun without tripod, usually mounting a much lighter bipod, that is the basic Firepower of an infantry squad. Usually is a team of two men. The tripod, extra men, barrels, ammo, etc.. of the HMG (Heavy Machine Gun) give fire accuracy, sustained fire, and firepower greater than its squad (LMG) version. ¿OK? :D

Desperta ferro!
Miquel Guasch Aparicio

Post #: 3
- 4/11/2001 6:40:00 PM   
murx

Uhm, the 'tripod' you all refer to is the AA-weapons mount for the MGs (at least the Germans used it that way and the official technical papers for that thing sayed it as an AA mount). The HMG uses another mount. It has four staying points and is very small in height. It has attachment points for a periskope and some kind of steering to use it from below - only the weapon and the , mount would be visible fom above. murx

Post #: 4
- 4/11/2001 7:00:00 PM   
panda124c

quote:

Originally posted by Gavris Narcis: Hi ! By searching encyclopedia of SPWAW I found that it was for the same name of a weapon many models....for example: the german MG 42 HMG have a model named MG 42 LMG !!!!! What is/was this ? I've heard about the first, but nothing about the second model ! And many same things I've discovered in encyclopedia ! Please clarify me about this. Thank you. Leo.
The main difference is number of men, max range and fire control. As an example look at the fire control for the American 30 Cal MMG and the 30 Cal HMG.

Post #: 5
- 4/12/2001 2:44:00 AM   
Mikimoto

Hello Murx. How do I name it, a "Tetrapod" instead of tripod? Or "Platform" for Heavy Machinegun? Or... Tripod, for general understanding? Thanks. ;)

Desperta ferro!
Miquel Guasch Aparicio

Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Same model weapons ? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI