Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Can this weapon damage that thing?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Can this weapon damage that thing? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Can this weapon damage that thing? - 4/10/2001 2:35:00 AM   
vbmark

How do I determine if the weapon that I'm firing can do damage to the thing that I'm shooting at?

Post #: 1
- 4/10/2001 3:06:00 AM   
victorhauser

All weapons can damage soft targets and all targets with an armor defense of 0. And in addition to damage, soft targets will also suffer suppression. Targets with an armor value greater than 0 will need to be penetrated to be damaged. Check the penetration of your weapon at the range at which you are firing at the target. However, even if the armor cannot be penetrated there is the still a chance that your attack will cause suppression.

VAH

(in reply to vbmark)
Post #: 2
- 4/10/2001 9:07:00 PM   
Arralen

Don't forget that there are "externals" that could be damaged by non-penetrating hits : optics, radios masts, suspension .. A.

AMD FX-4300
Gigabyte 970A-DS3P
Kingston 24GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800)
Asus GTX 750 Ti OC 2GB GDDR5
Seagate Barracuda SATA III 1TB
Windows 8.1

(in reply to vbmark)
Post #: 3
- 4/10/2001 9:57:00 PM   
panda124c

Also you can not shoot at soft targets, Infantry, with weapons that only have AP. Example British 2lb and 6lb ATGs.

(in reply to vbmark)
Post #: 4
- 4/11/2001 5:12:00 AM   
Gallo Rojo

quote:

Originally posted by vbmark: How do I determine if the weapon that I'm firing can do damage to the thing that I'm shooting at?
Do a left click on your unit. You’ll see unit’s data screen. Do you see the icon? Good. Look under the icon. There’re a table that list of your unit’s weapons, and his penetration power. This is the penetration table (I call it this way, don’t know if it has an official name). You have to be careful because one same unit can carry different types of ammunition, that has very different penetration capacity. Vertical Columns gives you a distance in hexes or less Horizontal Lines gives tells you the weapon you have and the different ammunition that the weapon can shot (HE, AP, APCR, HEAT) Numbers inside the table tells you how much armor each ammunition shouted by your gun can penetrate at certain range (rage that is given by each column). Note: this is the maximum that yours tank’s gun can penetrate, not what it will penetrate. So this doesn’t means that you always will get a winner shot even if your gun is at correct range. Your shot can richolet or don get the maximum possible perforation. As an example let said that you like to know if a Wolverine can take a Tiger at 26 hexes. OK. Look at the table. You have to look at 4th column (30 hexes or less) Then you’ll see that 76mm gun using AP ammunition can penetrate 98mm of armor and a little more using APCR: 102mm. Now, Tiger tanks armor thickness is 80mm for side and rear hull and turret. So, you can take a Tiger tank at 27 hexes with a M-10 using both AP and APCR ammunition if you shot him from sides or from rear. If you shot from the front thinks are different: Tiger frontal armor thickness is 100mm in the Hull and 176 in the Turret. So, as you’re M-10 Wolverine 76mm main gun can shooting AP ammunition can only penetrate 98mm of armor, then you’ll never take a Tiger by the front at this range. Although you have a little chance to knock him out using APCR ammunition if you hit him on the hull (APCR can penetrate 103mm at 30 hexes or less, and Tiger front’s hull thickness is 100). If your shot hits on turret’s front (176mm armor) you’ll never destroy him no matter which ammunition you are using. Don’t forget always to look if your tank has APCR ammunition before shooting. You’ll see this at the units data screen upper left corner. There is a list of which types of ammunition how many shots your tank carries. An additional question could be if can you choose which type of ammunition you’ll shot. The answer is no. You can’t. The game does this automatically. So if you decide to attack a Tiger with a M-10 at 26 hexes by the front (something that I don’t recomend you) your tank commander will automatically pick an APCR cartridge, it’s is available.

The bayonet is a weapon with a worker on each end

(in reply to vbmark)
Post #: 5
- 4/11/2001 7:45:00 AM   
vbmark

This is all great information. Thank you to everyone who replied! :D

(in reply to vbmark)
Post #: 6
- 4/12/2001 5:37:00 AM   
Grimm

Also, the weapon penetration amount will be modified for armor slope on the target plus a +/- random variable. In other words, nothing is guaranteed! So to continue the Tiger example, the AP round (98mm) might penetrate the front of that Tiger (100mm) if you get the right angle and a favorable random modifier! :D Got it? :D Or do as I do when in doubt - fire anyway!

Its what you do
and not what you say
If you're not part of the future
then get out of the way

(in reply to vbmark)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Can this weapon damage that thing? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI