Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

What Settings are the Tutorials under?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> What Settings are the Tutorials under? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What Settings are the Tutorials under? - 1/21/2016 6:24:51 PM   
Guardian54

I'm trying to learn how to play Securan via using a Tutorial instead of just free play...
...And I'm noticing that EVERYONE ELSE in Tutorial 1 starts off bigger.

It's as if I'm set to Young and they are set to Expanding. Sure, everyone's at Tech 2 (i.e. has racial techs Mk 1), but you'd think that a Tutorial would at least set everyone else to be equal if not weaker than you.

The first time I tried it I got a decent home system but got rekt by Legendary Pirates about two years in... and had a Xenophobic Spy which made spy savescumming even MORE tedious than needed, because AFAIK Concealment does affect tech theft, not just Espionage... right?

Question: How do you unlock character skills? I really need to figure out how to trigger Espionage into unlocking so that stealing one tech doesn't take me 8 "months" (i.e. a year in-game due to time ticks and at least 1 hour of spamming reloads).

Anyhow, this time trying Tutorial 1 I got a Tolerant spy who just got Measured, but I have just realized EVERYONE ELSE has 6+ colonies at start and I have 2.
Oh well, I can at least console myself with the fact that they can't savescum and won't cheese resupply ships, because making us start at 3:1 colony disadvantage without a Spy who at least has Espionage skill unlocked... That does not a tutorial make. THIS CALLS FOR SCUMMING/CHEESE/CHEATING!

EDIT: I just checked, Tutorial 2, 3 have the same problems. Tutorial 4, 5, and 6 are consdierably less unreasonable by giving you the same starting size as everyone else. I have no intention on finding out if it holds for the Dealing with Pirates tutorial because if not I'd be wasting my time with 1 planet start versus... probably 6-9.

< Message edited by Guardian54 -- 1/21/2016 7:42:52 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: What Settings are the Tutorials under? - 1/25/2016 1:46:22 PM   
Hattori Hanzo

I'm a "Distant Worlds Universe" learner too and I'm curious: there is a particular reason after your choice to use a Tutorial play to learn how to play Securan instead of a simple customed "beginner" Securan game ?

I always used the Tutorials only to learn the specifing lessons and never continued to play them after that specific lesson is ended.

(in reply to Guardian54)
Post #: 2
RE: What Settings are the Tutorials under? - 1/26/2016 6:51:39 PM   
Guardian54

I was under the impression the Tutorials were even easier than standard games.

I was very clearly wrong.

On the other hand Securan has to be one of the most insanely easy races ever to play. That population growth (and with doubled growth for 1 in every 3 years too) without the Atuuk construction speed handicap is mind-blowingly OP. Even on Extreme the population growth and ridiculous happiness means you can out-money everyone else...

< Message edited by Guardian54 -- 1/26/2016 8:01:38 PM >

(in reply to Hattori Hanzo)
Post #: 3
RE: What Settings are the Tutorials under? - 1/26/2016 7:10:05 PM   
Retreat1970

Securans are ok but the utopian paradise government is weak. I'd rather play gizurean.

(in reply to Guardian54)
Post #: 4
RE: What Settings are the Tutorials under? - 1/26/2016 8:08:13 PM   
Hattori Hanzo

maybe you can find interesting this thread:

"How to play an Easy Introductory Game in the Pre-Warp Age of Shadows"

in the Matrix forum.

sorry I cannot post the link 'cause I have too few posts on the forum..

< Message edited by Hattori Hanzo -- 1/26/2016 9:14:13 PM >

(in reply to Retreat1970)
Post #: 5
RE: What Settings are the Tutorials under? - 1/30/2016 6:39:20 PM   
Seraph86

i can recommend das24680 how to play DW:U series:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGB6RkFB7ZmNxjw-XsdpbmTfYStObtNFc

the difference in the races are their traits, bonuses and special government types. you understanding the game on a good level will help you play any race!

(in reply to Hattori Hanzo)
Post #: 6
RE: What Settings are the Tutorials under? - 1/30/2016 7:33:37 PM   
Hattori Hanzo

really impressive, this DW:U series should really help a slow-learner as I am..

(in reply to Seraph86)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> What Settings are the Tutorials under? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI