Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Quick Question - Periscope Depth

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> The War Room >> Quick Question - Periscope Depth Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Quick Question - Periscope Depth - 1/28/2016 5:00:13 PM   
AlGrant

Am I correct in assuming that every time I send a sub up to periscope depth that the masts are automatically deployed (even if I don't want them up) ?

Wondering if there is any way I can put a sub at periscope depth but not actually raise the masts

When searching I found this thread that suggests there may be some changes to sub mast radar cross sections in 1.10 http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=3924321 but don't think anything is due to change about masts up/down.

Thanks
Post #: 1
RE: Quick Question - Periscope Depth - 1/28/2016 5:13:34 PM   
Dysta

Yes, they're always operational even you're manually disabled all the sensors.

My suggestion to make it have shallow depth without using it, is manually override its depth 1ft deeper than the periscope depth, so to make it non-functional.

(in reply to AlGrant)
Post #: 2
RE: Quick Question - Periscope Depth - 1/29/2016 12:54:22 AM   
mikmykWS

quote:

ORIGINAL: AlGrant

Am I correct in assuming that every time I send a sub up to periscope depth that the masts are automatically deployed (even if I don't want them up) ?

Wondering if there is any way I can put a sub at periscope depth but not actually raise the masts

When searching I found this thread that suggests there may be some changes to sub mast radar cross sections in 1.10 http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=3924321 but don't think anything is due to change about masts up/down.

Thanks

No. We don't model down that level of detail. Maybe one day.

(in reply to AlGrant)
Post #: 3
RE: Quick Question - Periscope Depth - 1/29/2016 9:39:06 AM   
AlGrant

OK thanks.
Never really been an issue and only got thinking about it when plotting a course through a narrow/shallow channel.

(in reply to mikmykWS)
Post #: 4
RE: Quick Question - Periscope Depth - 2/5/2016 8:38:00 PM   
PaulCharl

If you think about it there is no point in being so close to the surface if you are not going to stick something up out of the water. That something will always include at least one of the periscopes and the ESM mast (which will detect radar transmissions from well over any visual horizon you will have from a periscope). The radar and ESM are often combined on one mast. I doubt if adding a snorkel to that array of masts will make it much more of a radar target. The only weakness with the current modelling that I can see is that you do not get given a choice about whether to stay on batteries or start up the diesels to recharge. Starting the diesels is the big give-away since your super quiet SSK hole-in-the-water suddenly turns into Farmer Moe's tractor on any local sonar.

< Message edited by PaulCharl -- 2/5/2016 9:39:42 PM >

(in reply to AlGrant)
Post #: 5
RE: Quick Question - Periscope Depth - 2/6/2016 2:37:35 PM   
Luidzi

I believe that increased acoustic (or thermal) signature when running on diesels is not currently modeled.

(in reply to PaulCharl)
Post #: 6
RE: Quick Question - Periscope Depth - 2/24/2016 6:47:46 PM   
magi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Luidzi

I believe that increased acoustic (or thermal) signature when running on diesels is not currently modeled.

Really.... I didn't know this....

(in reply to Luidzi)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> The War Room >> Quick Question - Periscope Depth Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI