Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Night Air Campaign

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Night Air Campaign Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Night Air Campaign - 12/21/2015 1:56:27 PM   
Foxendown

I have made a start on a night-only air campaign starting August 1943 and running for 60 turns. I was planning to post updates on progress (or lack of it) from time to time.

A few headaches: I'm finding the editor less than easy to use. Just little things are capable of slowing you down bigtime e.g. if you want to assign a flak unit to a city the list of cities can't be sorted into alpha order. In fact there is a lack of sorting and filtering tools, though there is a "find" facility. Also no bare template, you have to use an existing scenario, but if you do that you need to remove existing data and then it's all or nothing, it's not easy to keep some data while ditching the rest. But maybe I am missing some features that are there somewhere. If I want to keep air groups on a selective basis I'm wondering if I could just use "disband" in the CR in editor mode.

So after a little research I started with getting the German Gruppe in the right places which went OK I found all but one of the airfields I needed in the database. The exception was Insterburg in East Prussia, apparently the home of VNJG5 in August 1943 which I will need to create (and I think I know how to do that now).

Minor issues, some German night fighter units had mixes of aircraft (e.g. Dornier 217 and Bf110) but I can't see how to achieve that-don't think it's possible. Also some Gruppe had squadrons at more than one base which may not be doable either.

Next it's all the flak units to position, I'm not sure how far down the road of researching where they all were, though is some cases their names make it obvious. Also wondering about the day HQs being eliminated and whether their flak units, shouldn't also be available at night.

Anyway still having fun puzzling all this out and would be very grateful for suggested short-cuts and the best order to do things in.

< Message edited by Foxendown -- 12/21/2015 3:07:23 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Night Air Campaign - 12/21/2015 5:39:22 PM   
RedLancer

If you split the Gruppe into Staffeln that would be a great game addition.

My advice is get your data straight first, then set units and finally the air groups.

John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev

(in reply to Foxendown)
Post #: 2
RE: Night Air Campaign - 1/14/2016 12:46:05 PM   
Foxendown

This is just to let you know that I'm still working on a "Nachtjagd" campaign and will get it done eventually. But...I underestimated just how much time is involved in doing one of these!

I've narrowed the time frame down now to January to March 1944 i.e. covering the last phase of the "Battle of Berlin", which includes the disastrous Nuremberg raid. I want to get the Allied side (if AI) to at least start with something resembling Harris's actual plans so I will need to introduce myself to scripting which I gather only involves playing and recording.

Currently checking each RAF squadron against its correct airbase for the period.

(in reply to RedLancer)
Post #: 3
RE: Night Air Campaign - 1/14/2016 12:49:34 PM   
RedLancer

Scripting doesn't work for air combat. All you need to do is set the ADs in the editor as if you were playing.

John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev

(in reply to Foxendown)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Night Air Campaign Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI