Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

OT-This old veteran is pushing 95. Was he the greatest?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> OT-This old veteran is pushing 95. Was he the greatest? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
OT-This old veteran is pushing 95. Was he the greatest? - 7/26/2016 1:55:33 PM   
crsutton

Not one to worship weapons (well, in public) but the Browning M1921 .50 cal MG is pushing close to a century of service. Could this be the greatest weapon of the modern era? I think so. But you can talk among yourselves about this.

Attachment (1)

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
Post #: 1
RE: OT-This old veteran is pushing 95. Was he the great... - 7/26/2016 2:45:50 PM   
btd64

If it ain't broke, don't fix it....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 2
RE: OT-This old veteran is pushing 95. Was he the great... - 7/26/2016 3:06:28 PM   
LeeChard

Powerful punch and utterly reliable. Definitely should be on any greatest weapons list.

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 3
RE: OT-This old veteran is pushing 95. Was he the great... - 7/26/2016 3:10:05 PM   
Lecivius

Weapon? Or firearm? How modern do you want to go? Not trying to be a PIA here, but it's a pretty open question boss

(in reply to LeeChard)
Post #: 4
RE: OT-This old veteran is pushing 95. Was he the great... - 7/26/2016 4:33:24 PM   
bobdina

They recently came out with the M2A1 . Head space and timing isn't supposed to be such a hassle and it has a quick change barrel as well as some other small improvements so she'll be here at least another 50 or so years. Here's a link https://www.army.mil/article/92130/M2A1_Machine_Gun_features_greater_safety__heightened_lethality

< Message edited by bobdina -- 7/26/2016 4:37:51 PM >

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 5
RE: OT-This old veteran is pushing 95. Was he the great... - 7/27/2016 12:59:49 AM   
kbfchicago

M2 has my vote just from a longevity perspective.

From a U.S. only perspective (no personal expose to non-U.S. counterparts) as a tanker on M60A3 and M1s. The M60A3 had the M85 .50 cal (mounted upside down with a backwards feed) in the copula. Being anchored to the tank and hand cranked onto target with integrated day/night sight it was by far more accurate vs. the M1's pintle mounted M2.

Most folks hated the M85, bust your knuckles putting it in, loading, and clearing it, I loved it. With a little TLC (and a c#ap load of lube) it would fire all day long and did not have the same timing sensitivity it's bigger M2 cousin had. Much shorter barrel on the M85 so expect the effective range was shorter, too long ago to recall the specifics...but in a tank if it's bigger than a person out past a 1000 meters, put a 105 (or 120) round in it, don't bother with the small stuff. But then... the M60 tank also typically carried a variety of ammo types to include anti-personnel whereas standard load in the M1 was only HEAT and Sabot. Ammo was also a bit more of a challenge, M85 used trays that wrapped around the cupola, so a "quick" reload was not an option, in fact it was a pain in the butt. Much faster with the M2 (standard ammo can and clip up) but the TC is also exposed on the M1 to use it effectively.

Anywho...just my 2 cents on experience with the Maa Duce and my first .50 cal love, the usually forgotten M85..

Also a shout out to the M60 machine gun a firearm most references relate directly back to the venerable MG34/42 family of German WWII fame. The M60 is a elegant firearm, minimal parts, great rate of fire. I have not disassembled/assembled one for over 20 years but bet I could still do it, blind folded, it was that easy - considering I can't recall my kids names on most days that saying something. The M249, a minimalist version (no stocks, handles, etc) was the coax gun. Now that hummer would fire for days and throw some serious 7.62 down range...from a turret side bin with 1000s (well a sh#t load, if not 1000s) of rounds at the ready.

Tanks, more adrenaline and fun than an adult should be legally allowed to have...thanks CR for bringing back the memories!

Kevin

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 6
RE: OT-This old veteran is pushing 95. Was he the great... - 7/27/2016 3:35:20 AM   
geofflambert

I've always had a bit of a crush on the BAR. Not saying that constitutes a valid vote as I have little direct experience (actually none). I've also wondered about shotguns and the ammunition that might be used. I know they were used to good effect in WWI but I would think they would be of great value to rearward troops and forward officers.

My point on the shotgun ammunition is with deer slugs a pump action shotgun or a semiautomatic one could be both a good medium tactical range weapon as well as a short range one. I'd still want an M1911 in my holster.

< Message edited by geofflambert -- 7/27/2016 3:44:13 AM >

(in reply to kbfchicago)
Post #: 7
RE: OT-This old veteran is pushing 95. Was he the great... - 7/27/2016 4:43:26 AM   
robinsa

What about the 1911? I heard its making its way back into the marine corps. 1911 is and has always been my personal favorite. The smoothness of the .45 is something special.

Im sure the .50 cal will stay with us for many ears to come. Whats getting out dated is the gunner and he will likely be replaced by a computer in a couple of years..

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 8
RE: OT-This old veteran is pushing 95. Was he the great... - 7/27/2016 2:53:31 PM   
crsutton

Yes, the 1911 would be my second choice. Still used by some of our special forces guys due to its dependability and lack of bulk. The US government has about 100,000 M1911s in storage and just this year legislation was passed to reduce this inventory by moving 10,000 M1911s a year for ten years to the Civilian Marksmanship Program for sale to the public. If you want a piece of history, here is a chance to pick one up. I am not really into firearms but a fine old and rare colt automatic fell into my hands recently and it piqued my interest in 1911s. The last government 1911 was produced in 1945. However, many gun makers are still producing variants of this remarkable firearm. Check it out. http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/12/08/how-much-will-cmp-1911-pistols-cost/

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to robinsa)
Post #: 9
RE: OT-This old veteran is pushing 95. Was he the great... - 7/27/2016 4:20:32 PM   
robinsa

Thanks for the link. Looks like a lot of these older guns are about to hit the market. From what I understand (with no personal experience) those surplus sales can be real hit or miss.

< Message edited by robinsa -- 7/27/2016 4:21:22 PM >

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 10
RE: OT-This old veteran is pushing 95. Was he the great... - 7/27/2016 9:35:51 PM   
Macclan5

It is a broad category..

--

I might say the M1 Garand ; 1st ever semi automatic production rifle in the hands of the infantry. This was a huge competitive advantage over the Commonwealth Lee / Enfield and any other rifle by Axis design.

Sure there were other fine designs, and machine guns, and a number of (primarily German) early assault rifle but none of them were produced in the quantity of equipping most of nearly 8 Million US Soldiers in field by 1945.

Some 6 million Garand's were made in WW2 I recall off the top of my head.

The Garand gave the US Army fire superiority on every field of battle soldier vs soldier. Huge competitive advantage over the standard 'bolt action' and 'bolt-semi's' the vast majority other nations sent into battle.

--

The Colt ? Meh... Nice side arm with many advantages but no real distinct competitive advantages over German / Commonwealth standard issue. Some argue the Walther Fabrick P38 was more revolutionary. But in comparison of the two you cant point at one and say "that made the difference".

--

The Browning 50cal is certainly also up there and deserves mention in any list.

Its longevity as a relevant weapon speaks volumes.

Americans tended to equip the smaller cal BAR early; but the 50cal eventually gave men in the field something to stand off armored opposition. It could open up 'tin cans and doors'.

Again the question has to be whether it had a significant competitive advantage over the German MG 42 and if it was produced in sufficient quantities to make the difference. I don't really know the answer to that...

A People that values its privileges above it's principles will soon loose both. Dwight D Eisenhower.

(in reply to robinsa)
Post #: 11
RE: OT-This old veteran is pushing 95. Was he the great... - 7/28/2016 12:43:54 AM   
IdahoNYer

quote:

ORIGINAL: kbfchicago

M2 has my vote just from a longevity perspective.

From a U.S. only perspective (no personal expose to non-U.S. counterparts) as a tanker on M60A3 and M1s. The M60A3 had the M85 .50 cal (mounted upside down with a backwards feed) in the copula. Being anchored to the tank and hand cranked onto target with integrated day/night sight it was by far more accurate vs. the M1's pintle mounted M2.

Most folks hated the M85, bust your knuckles putting it in, loading, and clearing it, I loved it. With a little TLC (and a c#ap load of lube) it would fire all day long and did not have the same timing sensitivity it's bigger M2 cousin had. Much shorter barrel on the M85 so expect the effective range was shorter, too long ago to recall the specifics...but in a tank if it's bigger than a person out past a 1000 meters, put a 105 (or 120) round in it, don't bother with the small stuff. But then... the M60 tank also typically carried a variety of ammo types to include anti-personnel whereas standard load in the M1 was only HEAT and Sabot. Ammo was also a bit more of a challenge, M85 used trays that wrapped around the cupola, so a "quick" reload was not an option, in fact it was a pain in the butt. Much faster with the M2 (standard ammo can and clip up) but the TC is also exposed on the M1 to use it effectively.

Anywho...just my 2 cents on experience with the Maa Duce and my first .50 cal love, the usually forgotten M85..

Also a shout out to the M60 machine gun a firearm most references relate directly back to the venerable MG34/42 family of German WWII fame. The M60 is a elegant firearm, minimal parts, great rate of fire. I have not disassembled/assembled one for over 20 years but bet I could still do it, blind folded, it was that easy - considering I can't recall my kids names on most days that saying something. The M249, a minimalist version (no stocks, handles, etc) was the coax gun. Now that hummer would fire for days and throw some serious 7.62 down range...from a turret side bin with 1000s (well a sh#t load, if not 1000s) of rounds at the ready.

Tanks, more adrenaline and fun than an adult should be legally allowed to have...thanks CR for bringing back the memories!

Kevin

I'm in that M85 hater's club Kevin. U-Shaped feed tray around the commander's turret was a bear - only way to manage not to get a round hung up somewhere was too pour half a quart of lube from the feed tray to the last round - go down range with oil dripping on your neck and back! Good times, right!
Traverse and elevation was a heck of lot better than the original M1's joystick for its MaDeuce - but that was modified significantly for the better by the M1A1.

M2 gets my vote for top spot on this list - nothing sweeter than firing a MaDeuce from an M113 pintle mount!

(in reply to kbfchicago)
Post #: 12
RE: OT-This old veteran is pushing 95. Was he the great... - 7/28/2016 12:46:54 AM   
Mac Linehan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ranger5355

Powerful punch and utterly reliable. Definitely should be on any greatest weapons list.

Ranger5355 and kbfchicago-

Am with you all the way on this one.

Semper Fi!

Mac

LAV-25 2147

(in reply to LeeChard)
Post #: 13
RE: OT-This old veteran is pushing 95. Was he the great... - 7/28/2016 4:06:26 AM   
bigred

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

Yes, the 1911 would be my second choice. Still used by some of our special forces guys due to its dependability and lack of bulk. The US government has about 100,000 M1911s in storage and just this year legislation was passed to reduce this inventory by moving 10,000 M1911s a year for ten years to the Civilian Marksmanship Program for sale to the public. If you want a piece of history, here is a chance to pick one up. I am not really into firearms but a fine old and rare colt automatic fell into my hands recently and it piqued my interest in 1911s. The last government 1911 was produced in 1945. However, many gun makers are still producing variants of this remarkable firearm. Check it out. http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/12/08/how-much-will-cmp-1911-pistols-cost/

I qualified 38 out of 40 with the 1911. My favorite.

---bigred---

IJ Production mistakes--
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2597400

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 14
RE: OT-This old veteran is pushing 95. Was he the great... - 7/28/2016 3:07:39 PM   
crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: Macclan5

It is a broad category..

--

I might say the M1 Garand ; 1st ever semi automatic production rifle in the hands of the infantry. This was a huge competitive advantage over the Commonwealth Lee / Enfield and any other rifle by Axis design.

Sure there were other fine designs, and machine guns, and a number of (primarily German) early assault rifle but none of them were produced in the quantity of equipping most of nearly 8 Million US Soldiers in field by 1945.

Some 6 million Garand's were made in WW2 I recall off the top of my head.

The Garand gave the US Army fire superiority on every field of battle soldier vs soldier. Huge competitive advantage over the standard 'bolt action' and 'bolt-semi's' the vast majority other nations sent into battle.

--

The Colt ? Meh... Nice side arm with many advantages but no real distinct competitive advantages over German / Commonwealth standard issue. Some argue the Walther Fabrick P38 was more revolutionary. But in comparison of the two you cant point at one and say "that made the difference".

--

The Browning 50cal is certainly also up there and deserves mention in any list.

Its longevity as a relevant weapon speaks volumes.

Americans tended to equip the smaller cal BAR early; but the 50cal eventually gave men in the field something to stand off armored opposition. It could open up 'tin cans and doors'.

Again the question has to be whether it had a significant competitive advantage over the German MG 42 and if it was produced in sufficient quantities to make the difference. I don't really know the answer to that...

I would say the Garand was groundbreaking and one of my favorites but not the greatest because it is no longer in general use. The 50 cal is still used by many nations and is not even close to being considered obsolete. Amazing. If I had to pick a general infantry weapon then my choice would be the AK47. The Russians created a winner here. Cheap to make, totally reliable and useful in many functions. No other weapon in the past half century has given us (the US) more trouble.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Macclan5)
Post #: 15
RE: OT-This old veteran is pushing 95. Was he the great... - 7/28/2016 4:21:00 PM   
m10bob

John Browning never made trash.

While my dad preferred the Browning 9mm "Gran Puissance" and carried it in 2 wars, I preferred the M1911a1.(ser#2425471.)

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 16
RE: OT-This old veteran is pushing 95. Was he the great... - 7/28/2016 7:47:37 PM   
crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: m10bob

John Browning never made trash.

While my dad preferred the Browning 9mm "Gran Puissance" and carried it in 2 wars, I preferred the M1911a1.(ser#2425471.)

I have this really rare one. Manufactured in 1913.

Attachment (1)

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 17
RE: OT-This old veteran is pushing 95. Was he the great... - 7/29/2016 3:13:33 PM   
m10bob

It is rare and they later got rid of the lanyard ring on the clip itself because G.I.'s are taught to "palm" the bottom of it to make sure it takes a good "seat".

I have seen your model in both .45 AND .38....

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 18
RE: OT-This old veteran is pushing 95. Was he the great... - 7/29/2016 4:00:24 PM   
crsutton

Bob, only about 15-17,000 of the M1911 out of 2.7 million made had the US Navy stamp on the side. The last produced was in 1917 (my memory may be off a bit). I don't think they ever made a 38 caliber version with the US Navy stamp. Not a real expert though. Did you use the M1911 in your ranger days?

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 19
RE: OT-This old veteran is pushing 95. Was he the great... - 7/29/2016 8:05:59 PM   
Macclan5

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Macclan5

It is a broad category..

I would say the Garand was groundbreaking and one of my favorites but not the greatest because it is no longer in general use. The 50 cal is still used by many nations and is not even close to being considered obsolete. Amazing. If I had to pick a general infantry weapon then my choice would be the AK47. The Russians created a winner here. Cheap to make, totally reliable and useful in many functions. No other weapon in the past half century has given us (the US) more trouble.

Longevity certainly may be factored into question of "greatest" and I cannot entirely disagree with you.

Its a broad category.

--

However more than longevity I suppose I place emphasis on superiority and "just in time superiority through quantity".

What was Old Uncle Joe Stalin's quote ? Quantity (at the point of attack) is a form of quality ?

I put the Garand up there with with game changers that forced all other opponents to rethink battle i.e. the stirrup saddle / mounted combat.

The Garand may have been eliminated circa the Korean war but its superiority in its time period literally changed the concept of fire power soldier over soldier down to regiment / company level.

Everyone had to evaluate the Garand and adapt to it.

The AK47 (and successor AKM essentially very similar) are mentioned.

While both are "great / durable /highly rated" weapons with longevity neither over the long haul provided superior fire power over the American M16 on the battle field. Further there are sufficient other designs that are equal to or superior to the AK47 AKM (be it Israeli / German / etc) that may not have lasted as long in production.

No one had to rethink or adapt to the battle field after the introduction of the AK47.

Similar arguments to the Colt. The Browning noted is equally effective and although modified slightly from time to time almost as long enduring.

A People that values its privileges above it's principles will soon loose both. Dwight D Eisenhower.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 20
RE: OT-This old veteran is pushing 95. Was he the great... - 7/30/2016 2:01:55 PM   
Bearcat2

M2 gets my vote for "greatest weapon of the modern era"

M3 sub gets my vote for the worst weapon of the modern era; the safest place to be when facing that piece of junk is the place where the person was aiming.

"After eight years as President I have only two regrets: that I have not shot Henry Clay or hanged John C. Calhoun."--1837

(in reply to Macclan5)
Post #: 21
RE: OT-This old veteran is pushing 95. Was he the great... - 7/30/2016 2:50:00 PM   
m10bob

quote:

Bob, only about 15-17,000 of the M1911 out of 2.7 million made had the US Navy stamp on the side. The last produced was in 1917 (my memory may be off a bit). I don't think they ever made a 38 caliber version with the US Navy stamp. Not a real expert though. Did you use the M1911 in your ranger days?

I believe the Treasury Dept used the .38, and yes, I saw yours was a Navy model.

Yes, the M1911a1 was my sidearm in the Ranger program.
I was a big and stronger fellow back then and also liked to carry the M79 "thump gun", LOL

The M203 was crap, as was the "bayonet barrel" M16..

My working knowledge of military firearms began roughly 1953 when dad returned from Korea.
He taught brother and I everything he ever acquired, and this includes the French Chaut-Chaut with paper bullet separators in the feeder.
THAT was junk foisted onto the AEF in WW1 by the French (who have always had a sense of humor).

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 22
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> OT-This old veteran is pushing 95. Was he the greatest? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI