Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Win 10 Hard drive 100% bug

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Win 10 Hard drive 100% bug Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Win 10 Hard drive 100% bug - 8/4/2016 6:33:19 PM   
Lowpe

Egads, man! I have been struck by the 100% hard drive bug.

The hard drive runs at 100% no matter what.

Start task manager and shut the program that is using the hard drive down and the 100% usage jumps to another program.

Windows lists 3 fixes, all of which are simple and no problem (according to windows) but they don't work.

Will I have to reinstall windows, and will that pain and misery get rid of the bug.

I have tried other non-microsoft fixes to...no joy.

Anybody suffer something like this and have a fix?

Post #: 1
RE: Win 10 Hard drive 100% bug - 8/4/2016 9:13:42 PM   
geofflambert

Your machine is a slacker. It should be operating at at least 120%. PM me to get my inexpensive PC Buck-er-Up fix app.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 2
RE: Win 10 Hard drive 100% bug - 8/5/2016 12:16:38 AM   
Shark7

Hmm, seems to me that Win 10 doesn't have a bug...it IS the bug.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 3
RE: Win 10 Hard drive 100% bug - 8/5/2016 1:46:57 AM   
CaptBeefheart

I recently upgraded my RAM to 24GB and subsequently found out I can only use 16 of that in Win7, and that I'd need to "upgrade" to Win10 to take advantage of all that extra RAM. Something tells me that extra 8GB of RAM might be best left untapped.

Cheers,
CC

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 4
RE: Win 10 Hard drive 100% bug - 8/5/2016 4:33:34 AM   
rustysi

quote:

Something tells me that extra 8GB of RAM might be best left untapped.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 5
RE: Win 10 Hard drive 100% bug - 8/5/2016 1:01:11 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Commander Cody

I recently upgraded my RAM to 24GB and subsequently found out I can only use 16 of that in Win7, and that I'd need to "upgrade" to Win10 to take advantage of all that extra RAM. Something tells me that extra 8GB of RAM might be best left untapped.

Cheers,
CC

Interesting.

I recently built a new behemoth with 32g of ram running WIN7 and I'm only getting the use of 24g out of the 32g total.
Was wondering what was up.

Have WIN10 on my puny 2g laptop and its OK but not sure I want in on the desktop.

Hans

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 6
RE: Win 10 Hard drive 100% bug - 8/5/2016 2:05:58 PM   
Lowpe

I just wanted to mention this problem is on an upgraded win7 to win10 computer. The clean installs are doing very well, other than the normal junk microsoft makes you suffer.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 7
RE: Win 10 Hard drive 100% bug - 8/5/2016 2:16:10 PM   
zakblood

have no issues what so ever on 8 windows 10 pc's i own, all for testing, a few tips for windows

clean install is always better than any upgrade

for hard drives

HDD need defragging to make them keep in top form, SDD don't, hybrid tech also doesn't, as that's a standard HDD with a bolt on SDD for speedier access.

windows 10 hard drive tip

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/prevent-hard-drive-going-sleep-windows

and then,

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/4-tips-fix-100-disk-usage-improve-windows-performance/

normally if you have a laptop or a desktop with 2 drives in it, windows 10, and also other version of windows will make one (run as default anyway) run in sleep mode after a given time, which then slows down the whole system, and also if you like me who has steam on the second drive plus games etc, hits there performance as well, as it will take time to wake up and make a extra hit on the C (main drive) for cache and temp use plus other stuff etc etc.

running the windows 10 system as default also slows windows down, try and learn how to use it, and turn off as many unneeded and unwanted apps and programs from starting each load, this way the full performance can be given back to your system and not used on loading stuff you hardly use...

the list is too long to go into, but it's easy and only takes less than a min to alter and do, nothing hard either, taking a tick out of a box etc and your done...

< Message edited by zakblood -- 8/5/2016 2:21:47 PM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 8
RE: Win 10 Hard drive 100% bug - 8/5/2016 2:31:38 PM   
Lecivius

quote:

ORIGINAL: zakblood

running the windows 10 system as default also slows windows down, try and learn how to use it, and turn off as many unneeded and unwanted apps and programs from starting each load, this way the full performance can be given back to your system and not used on loading stuff you hardly use...

the list is too long to go into, but it's easy and only takes less than a min to alter and do, nothing hard either, taking a tick out of a box etc and your done...

I can +1 this. This has vastly improved the performance of my machines.

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 9
RE: Win 10 Hard drive 100% bug - 8/5/2016 4:06:39 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

quote:

Cheers,
CC

Interesting.

I recently built a new behemoth with 32g of ram running WIN7 and I'm only getting the use of 24g out of the 32g total.

Have WIN10 on my puny 2g laptop and its OK but not sure I want in on the desktop.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/max-memory-limits-for-64-bit-windows-7/
quote:

Here are the upper RAM limits for the different editions of Windows 7:

Starter: 8GB
Home Basic: 8GB
Home Premium: 16GB
Professional: 192GB
Enterprise: 192GB
Ultimate: 192GB

That's from 2009 so not sure if it changed.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 10
RE: Win 10 Hard drive 100% bug - 8/5/2016 4:10:09 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

quote:

Cheers,
CC

Interesting.

quote:

Thanks for the info.

I'm running WIN7 Professional and the system tells me I only have 24g of ram available out of the 32g installed.

Hans

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 11
RE: Win 10 Hard drive 100% bug - 8/5/2016 4:12:52 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

have no issues what so ever on 8 windows 10 pc's i own, all for testing, a few tips for windows

for hard drives

HDD need defragging to make them keep in top form, SDD don't, hybrid tech also doesn't, as that's a standard HDD with a bolt on SDD for speedier access.

and then,

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/4-tips-fix-100-disk-usage-improve-windows-performance/

normally if you have a laptop or a desktop with 2 drives in it, windows 10, and also other version of windows will make one (run as default anyway) run in sleep mode after a given time, which then slows down the whole system, and also if you like me who has steam on the second drive plus games etc, hits there performance as well, as it will take time to wake up and make a extra hit on the C (main drive) for cache and temp use plus other stuff etc etc.

Many thanks Zak...some things I have done, and this is a 1 ssd, 2 hd machine, but only 1 windows 10 install and no other operating system.

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 12
RE: Win 10 Hard drive 100% bug - 8/5/2016 4:17:03 PM   
witpqs

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Cheers,
CC

Interesting.

quote:

Thanks for the info.

I'm running WIN7 Professional and the system tells me I only have 24g of ram available out of the 32g installed.

Then I'm guessing it has changed, at least from 16 to 24 GB. I really hate those artificial limits that manufacturers sometimes put on things.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 13
RE: Win 10 Hard drive 100% bug - 8/5/2016 4:19:51 PM   
zakblood

dual boot is different than what i was mentioning tbh, 1 hard drive and 1 SDD is a normal mix, with one of these being asked to sleep after a given time, which is why i mentioned it, altering it so neither sleeps make both work better, and then less 100% will be seen, unless you really hammer it that is.

a fresh install of windows 10 is better than a upgraded to windows 10 version, as you take too much junk over that way, better to use the free install option then when your ready back up and wipe and download the windows 10 iso and install a fresh new version wiping the previous one in the process, that's how i do it anyway.

options are download a iso from M/S or the tool, either way its free, the tool can be on a external thumb drive or even another HDD for that matter, or the DVD if you wish to burn a copy.

always keep it updated, as yet so far 3 version of windows 10 have been released, so always keep the iso / image updated to the latest version, then once installed you don't have to update it it apart from minor updates that it each time..

latest version is WINDOWS 10 ANNIVERSARY EDITION version version 1607, build 14393, not a pre view release either, a full RTM version i always mean

< Message edited by zakblood -- 8/5/2016 4:26:19 PM >

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 14
RE: Win 10 Hard drive 100% bug - 8/5/2016 5:00:42 PM   
Lowpe

This computer isn't a dual boot, dedicated win 10 machine - a pretty good racing machine even with the latest AMD graphics card.

Anyhow, I am moving and saving and preparing for a clean re-install. Now, having gone thru the process on two previous machines I kind of sorta know what to look for.

I am running the anniversary edition now...I don't see how you can avoid running it, to be honest.

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 8/5/2016 5:01:57 PM >

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 15
RE: Win 10 Hard drive 100% bug - 8/5/2016 5:03:48 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Your machine is a slacker. It should be operating at at least 120%. PM me to get my inexpensive PC Buck-er-Up fix app.

Gorn, you crack me up!

My computer never played high school sports....

Post #: 16
RE: Win 10 Hard drive 100% bug - 8/5/2016 8:44:07 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

for hard drives

and then,

Nobody likes you, Bill, you know that.

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 17
RE: Win 10 Hard drive 100% bug - 8/5/2016 8:45:58 PM   
geofflambert

Oops, I saw moderator and thought it was wdolson. I'm sure everybody loves you zakblood.

Post #: 18
RE: Win 10 Hard drive 100% bug - 8/5/2016 8:55:19 PM   
RedLancer

I thought you meant Bill Gates.

Zak is spot on. I had a similar problem to Lowpe with an update to Win10. A completely fresh install later and it was solved.

John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev

Post #: 19
RE: Win 10 Hard drive 100% bug - 8/5/2016 9:08:09 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

Egads, man! I have been struck by the 100% hard drive bug.

The hard drive runs at 100% no matter what.

Start task manager and shut the program that is using the hard drive down and the 100% usage jumps to another program.

Windows lists 3 fixes, all of which are simple and no problem (according to windows) but they don't work.

Will I have to reinstall windows, and will that pain and misery get rid of the bug.

I have tried other non-microsoft fixes to...no joy.

Anybody suffer something like this and have a fix?

The easiest solution is to open a DOS prompt, and type 'format C:'.
Your computer will trouble you no longer.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 20
RE: Win 10 Hard drive 100% bug - 8/5/2016 9:09:34 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

This computer isn't a dual boot, dedicated win 10 machine - a pretty good racing machine even with the latest AMD graphics card.

Anyhow, I am moving and saving and preparing for a clean re-install. Now, having gone thru the process on two previous machines I kind of sorta know what to look for.

I am running the anniversary edition now...I don't see how you can avoid running it, to be honest.

Users don't run Windows. It runs them.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 21
RE: Win 10 Hard drive 100% bug - 8/5/2016 9:18:14 PM   
zakblood

windows 10 is the best gaming platform of any windows version imo,

xp was really good for gaming,

vista was poor

win2k and nt4 were hopeless

win 7 and 8 were good but not as well designed imo as win xp was, but win 10 seems to have been thought of a lot better, seems the xbox and xbox1 side of things helped that along, using the same more basic version, now after 3 major upgrades, win 10 seems to be coming along much better than many had guessed or hoped.

quote:

The Xbox One console runs on an operating system that includes the Windows 10 core, although initially it included the Windows 8 core at the Xbox One's release. The Xbox One system software contains a heavily modified Hyper-V hypervisor as its host OS and two partitions

now with the latest version of win 10, and what's planned in the future, imo it's all ahead full steam to a better gaming future, i might have liked 2 version, a pure 32bit & hybrid one using dual boot tech, and a pure 64bit version with no outdated and backwards compatibility built in, faster and more stable with less old code running, would have been the better way forward imo, but too many companies would have complained, and many home uses as well, so we get a updated and slightly faster and better version of windows than previous versions, but maybe not as good as it could have been...

< Message edited by zakblood -- 8/5/2016 9:20:19 PM >

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 22
RE: Win 10 Hard drive 100% bug - 8/5/2016 11:07:27 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Cheers,
CC

Interesting.

quote:

Thanks for the info.

Could the other 8 GB be allocated to another user profile on your PC?

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 23
RE: Win 10 Hard drive 100% bug - 8/6/2016 12:20:40 AM   
1EyedJacks

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Cheers,
CC

Interesting.

quote:

Thanks for the info.

Your memory might not be seated correctly. turn off and unplug your PC and then try re-seating your memory (guessing that you have 4 slots with 4 sticks of 8 meg each). If your memory is not all of the same size, check your motherboard documentation.

TTFN,

Mike

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 24
RE: Win 10 Hard drive 100% bug - 8/6/2016 6:30:08 AM   
wdolson

This has the max memory for all editions of Windows released in the last 15 years or so:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366778(v=vs.85).aspx

The 4GB limit in 32 bit Windows is a physical limitation of the 32 bit OS. The limits in 64 bit OSs are imposed by Microsoft. The theoretical limit of a 64 bit OS is 18 EB (1 million TB).

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to 1EyedJacks)
Post #: 25
RE: Win 10 Hard drive 100% bug - 8/6/2016 7:08:30 AM   
zakblood

having more memory installed in a given pc only lets you run more apps at once on a 64bit O/S, as each process can use a given amount of memory, but as pointed out above, no one 32bit app can use any more, so if you only use one game / process, the background not counted etc, having more just won't get used by one 32bit program, and while it makes sense for everyone to know program in 64bit, the amount of extra time versus the amount of users who wouldn't be able to use it makes it not worth while.

the amount of 64bit programs out there are rather smaller atm, and games are even smaller, but it's getting better, but will be years before it's even at lets guess a number of 25% etc of the total if even then.

examples of silly effects of older past architecture in place on modern O/S#s even today

quote:

On a computer that is running Windows 7, the usable memory (RAM) may be less than the installed memory.

For example, a 32-bit version of Windows 7 may report that there is only 3.5 GB of usable system memory on a computer that has 4 GB of memory installed.

Or, a 64-bit version of Windows 7 may report that there is only 7.1 GB of usable system memory on a computer that has 8 GB of memory installed.

quote:

For example, if you have a video card that has 256 MB of on-board memory, that memory must be mapped within the first 4 GB of address space. If 4 GB of system memory is already installed, part of that address space must be reserved by the graphics memory mapping. Graphics memory mapping overwrites a part of the system memory. These conditions reduce the total amount of system memory that is available to the operating system. so the larger the video card memory, the less memory the system can use, odd and strange but true

and best one of all,

Hardware Reserved, Memory that is reserved for use by the BIOS and some drivers for other peripherals

In Use, Memory that is used by process, drivers, or the operating system

Modified, Memory whose contents must go to disk before it can be used for another purpose

Standby, Memory that contains cached data and code that is not actively in use

Free, Memory that does not contain any valuable data and that will be used first when processes, drivers, or the operating system need more memory

windows 10 on release has the best memory management of any released version of windows so far, so if you have a windows 7 or 8 pc, a fresh install of win 10 will make the pc a % quicker 99.9% of the time, on a win xp pc, the age of the hardware effects the % a bit more.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 26
RE: Win 10 Hard drive 100% bug - 8/6/2016 8:02:41 AM   
Denniss

Does the motherboard Bios show all 32 Gigs?
Any change if you boot into safe mode (assuming Wincrap 10 still has it) ?

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 27
RE: Win 10 Hard drive 100% bug - 8/6/2016 9:18:40 AM   
Rising-Sun

I build a pc for my girlfriend in the other room, she had a similar problems. While she is playing World of Warcraft, it was slow as hell and I checked the task manager to see what going on. CPU and other devices were almost 100 usages and that is weird. So I told her may need to reboot and took few turns, finally it went back to normal. At first though it was a virus and/or spy/malwares going on. Look like it was Wins 10 x64 update (hidden).

Sometimes the drives need to be replace, they don't last forever you know. Run check disk and see if you have bad sectors on that drive. Drives are cheap anyway and you may have to start all over from scratch.

(in reply to Denniss)
Post #: 28
RE: Win 10 Hard drive 100% bug - 8/6/2016 10:32:10 AM   
wdolson

For years when I hard drive starts to whine, or just because every 18 months or so, I clone all my drives and replace then with new ones. Last time I did it, I replaced them with SSD drives. However two days ago one of the new SSD drives just quit with no warning. No OS can see it even exists. It's under warranty so I'll get it fixed or replaced, but it's annoying. I last did a drive clone back in February, so I was able to clone that to a new drive and I didn't lose much.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to Rising-Sun)
Post #: 29
RE: Win 10 Hard drive 100% bug - 8/6/2016 11:03:58 AM   
zakblood

quote:

ORIGINAL: Denniss

Does the motherboard Bios show all 32 Gigs?
Any change if you boot into safe mode (assuming Wincrap 10 still has it) ?

will depend on M/B and model and also Bios version

oh and O/S used as well, so win 10 isn't a problem

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by zakblood -- 8/6/2016 11:04:47 AM >

(in reply to Denniss)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Win 10 Hard drive 100% bug Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI