Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

long term play feedback and issues in 44

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> long term play feedback and issues in 44 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
long term play feedback and issues in 44 - 12/23/2016 1:06:45 PM   
Cavalry Corp

PBEM , 2 DAY TURNS SEPT 44 SCN 2 - same 2 players since Dec 41
NO HOUSE RULES - IS THAT THE BIG MISTAKE??

I have messed up the economy a bit ( as never managed it so long before and its only later you find out) so have little production the allies have stated bombing japan. and have overrun all se asia with ease as they have 10 x as many troops.
I expanded the navy too much - I still though have that big navy - 10 cv but no real fuel!!
these are the big issues that destroy some of my faith in the game - 41-43 worked it seemed ok.

The allies have I think at least 10 x as many land units available every where, my units take massive casualties even in an even fight - why is that?? supply weapons. Is it important for land units to all be attached to the same HQS? ON DEFENCE??
They get surrounded all the time - when the allies I think do not control all the hexsides- why is that? what in the game system makes that possible??
Why can the allies launch a massive invasion from Burma in 43 when I should be the one attacking up until mid 44??
I think units use to much supply as the JAPS have no chance to keep forces in supply for any long campaign.
If I rebuild a unit it always come back as restricted I think and I never have any PP points. what is the reasoning behind this?

What house rules should we have had and I like to believe in game systems but this one is cracking???

I would like some feedback from long term players

Thanks and comments much apprecited
Post #: 1
RE: long term play feedback and issues in 44 - 12/23/2016 1:20:12 PM   
Cavalry Corp

Guys, I would like tips on how to save supply in combat units (does rest use a lot less supply and what units should be on rest??, how to stop using so much oil and fuel in the HI?? Should I be turning some things off in 42 43 etc??

(in reply to Cavalry Corp)
Post #: 2
RE: long term play feedback and issues in 44 - 12/23/2016 1:21:34 PM   
Canoerebel

1. I think learning the Japanese economy is a master's-level project. Managing it for 1942 is a different animal than managing it for 1945. It's probably not broken. It's probably a case of you not understanding what it takes to run Japan in '44 and '45. You'll learn a lot this go 'round and be a better player next time.

2. Allied (especially American and Commonwealth) units in 1944 are different beasts from '42 and even '43. Those '44 components - infantry, engineers, antitank weapons, etc - are beasts! All things being equal, Japanese units should have a hard time standing up to Allied units in late '44. You are not longer fighting on even terms. You goal is no longer to defeat the enemy. Your goal, rather, is to slow them down.

3. The Allies don't have 10x land units everywhere, though it may seem that way.

4. Prepped HQs in the hands of good commanders can make a difference for both sides.

5. You must think Burma in '43 and '44 is required to model the real war. It can vary dramatically. Most IJ players aren't fighting there in '44, just as most Allied players aren't defending Port Moresby in early '42. The game varies depending on a lot of things. It's up to us commanders to analyze and adapt.

6. You're learning that bringing home supply is critical to your longterm survival. Many IJ players might think that the naval war is the most important aspect of the game (its certainly the most exciting!). But with experience you'll understand that it's just one of many important aspects. You'll begin next game with a much better understanding of your need to get your supply train functioning early and efficiently.

7. When you rebuild a destroyed unit, the cost to purchase it is minimal.

8. The game isn't cracking because of house rules. It's cracking because a player accustomed to warfare in '42 is encountering warfare in late '44 for the first time. Don't fight the game. Learn from it.

Post #: 3
RE: long term play feedback and issues in 44 - 12/23/2016 1:34:13 PM   
Cavalry Corp

Right thanks for that. Yes for certain 44 is a new and steep curve. So its not just me its about evolving to cope. I had the allied player on the rails in 42 and thought about an auto victory - got complacent I guess. Just like they did...

yes I am just trying to slow them. Everywhere my land units have no supply I have almost no oil and no fuel coming in except from the lcal area. Not sure how I can reorganise anything other than turning off every single thing I do not now need - already done that.

when you say prepped HQ - what about on defence - should and HQ be prepped to the defence target and all land units attached to that HQ prepped for the location or not ? That is a ton of PP to keep doing that.

Yes for certain learning now is invaluable for next time.

Thanks for taking the trouble to post this. want to see the actual game?

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4
RE: long term play feedback and issues in 44 - 12/23/2016 1:40:35 PM   
sprior

Have you checked out some of the AARs?

"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

Post #: 5
RE: long term play feedback and issues in 44 - 12/23/2016 1:51:12 PM   
HansBolter

What do you mean by PP cost for preparation?

There is no PP cost to prepare for a target.

Yes, you get the same bonuses for Corps and Army level HQs prepped for the same target as the land units within their range for defense as you get for offense.

Units do NOT have to be under the command of an HQ to benefit from being prepped for the same target as the HQ.

Any unit can benefit from ANY HQ that it is in range of and prepped for the same target as.

Hans

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 6
RE: long term play feedback and issues in 44 - 12/23/2016 1:57:01 PM   
Canoerebel

I'm just a man with an opinion. I think I've steered you right, but my play has been limited to the Allied side. I've played deeply into games, and I've read IJ AARs many times, so that's where I got the information I used in replying to your post.

For economic information, you'd do best to consult with an IJ player who has played deeply into the game. There are many. Lowpe is one who recently went through what you're going through. NYGiants has often helped John III with the economy (in addition, NYGiants has a good handle on HQ use, so he can help you in that regard too).

If you solicit input from experienced IJ players, I bet you'll get some help.

You've hit a bumpy road in your game. That's to be expected your first time through. It's very late in the game. Keep going, learn as much as you can, finish with your head up, and then kick butt when you begin your next game. :)

Post #: 7
RE: long term play feedback and issues in 44 - 12/23/2016 3:17:10 PM   
Cavalry Corp

Ok thanks guys

I do look at AAR.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 8
RE: long term play feedback and issues in 44 - 12/23/2016 3:22:11 PM   
crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: cavalry

I have messed up the economy a bit ( as never managed it so long before and its only later you find out) so have little production the allies have stated bombing japan. and have overrun all se asia with ease as they have 10 x as many troops.
I expanded the navy too much - I still though have that big navy - 10 cv but no real fuel!!
these are the big issues that destroy some of my faith in the game - 41-43 worked it seemed ok.

The allies have I think at least 10 x as many land units available every where, my units take massive casualties even in an even fight - why is that?? supply weapons. Is it important for land units to all be attached to the same HQS? ON DEFENCE??
They get surrounded all the time - when the allies I think do not control all the hexsides- why is that? what in the game system makes that possible??
Why can the allies launch a massive invasion from Burma in 43 when I should be the one attacking up until mid 44??
I think units use to much supply as the JAPS have no chance to keep forces in supply for any long campaign.
If I rebuild a unit it always come back as restricted I think and I never have any PP points. what is the reasoning behind this?

What house rules should we have had and I like to believe in game systems but this one is cracking???

1. Common Japanese mistake is to bang away and give no thought to the economy in the late war. Probably because so many games and AARs end before this time that few have the real experience. You only get so much money in the bank. Spend it all in 42 and 43 and then your economy will collapse. Just because you can build 300 Frank fighters a month does not mean that it is a good idea. Two or three experience Japanese players should write a sticky on how to survive in the late war and preserve resources.

2. You can't have it all when it comes to the Navy. Slinging those BBs around in 42 and 43 will eat up a lot of fuel. This is how the real war worked and how the game should work.

3. The Allies have fewer land units than Japan until late in the game, but the Allies can move theirs about fairly easy and it becomes harder for Japan to do so as her fleet shrinks. This is pretty historical. Japan had no shortage of troops in the war, just could no longer supply them or move them.

4. The Allies can choose to do what they did not do and invest heavily in the India Burma theater. (Both players have more flexibility) I favor this approach as an Allied player because it forces Japan into a cycle of continuous fighting. This puts a heavy strain on Japanese economy. Historically, Japan just did not have the resources for another sustained major theater. China was enough.

5. See above, Japan could not afford long campaigns historically. This is why I think invasions of Australia and India unless done quick and very well are a big problem for Japanese players

6. Use PP to buy out the units you want before rebuilding them. It cost virtually nothing to buy out a cadre.

7. As few HR as possible. However, requiring the Allies to pay PP and buy out restricted units before they can enter Burma or leave China is a reasonable one. This might help you in Burma. And no white restricted units can move into Burma at any time. I do not like restrictions to strategic bombing as it allows the Japanese player to ignore defending their vital oil centers and massing their air units at the front.

But in the end, the Japanese player has to be like a good retirement plan. There has to be something left over at the end when little or nothing is coming in....

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

Post #: 9
RE: long term play feedback and issues in 44 - 12/23/2016 3:51:46 PM   
Cavalry Corp

Yes all well said I suppose.

What about the issue of units getting surrounded by an attack in a hex where they do not control all the exits. Have players found that a problem for me it destroyed the army in Burma in short order, how does that happen. I know if you enter from each hexside but how else.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 10
RE: long term play feedback and issues in 44 - 12/23/2016 3:58:03 PM   
Lokasenna

Well, I think your first mistake was playing 2-day turns. I would never do that.

If by "units surrounded" you mean the "Japanese unit(s) surrounded at [location]", that's a message that doesn't have anything to do with hexside control. Hexside control is related to, but not everything to do with, the retreat path of a unit. A unit can only retreat if there is a valid supply path towards a friendly base. If that supply path is cut off by enemy units or bases, they won't retreat because there is no supply path. That's my understanding, anyway, and my experiences in-game have matched it.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 11
RE: long term play feedback and issues in 44 - 12/23/2016 3:59:29 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: sprior

Some of the good ones by good players, I think he means.

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 12
RE: long term play feedback and issues in 44 - 12/23/2016 4:02:30 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

What about the issue of units getting surrounded by an attack in a hex where they do not control all the exits. Have players found that a problem for me it destroyed the army in Burma in short order, how does that happen. I know if you enter from each hexside but how else.

My guess is that you're misinterpreting hex side control. To talk specifics about a given attack (or defense), we would need a screenshot of hex side control for the hex in question.

Post #: 13
RE: long term play feedback and issues in 44 - 12/23/2016 5:02:26 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

My guess is that you're misinterpreting hex side control. To talk specifics about a given attack (or defense), we would need a screenshot of hex side control for the hex in question.

Yeah, the "surrounded" message has to do with supply on hand and a supply path. I've noticed that retreats can go farther than supply, so if the unit is not retreating through an open hex side - which means the path is too long for retreat - then you know the path is also too long for supply.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 14
RE: long term play feedback and issues in 44 - 12/23/2016 5:20:17 PM   
Cavalry Corp

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

Well, I think your first mistake was playing 2-day turns. I would never do that. I would never play one day as it allows too much mico magaing and we would still be in 1942 plus it cuts both ways. I have 3 games as 2 day turns and all players have liked it.

If by "units surrounded" you mean the "Japanese unit(s) surrounded at [location]", that's a message that doesn't have anything to do with hexside control. Hexside control is related to, but not everything to do with, the retreat path of a unit. A unit can only retreat if there is a valid supply path towards a friendly base. If that supply path is cut off by enemy units or bases, they won't retreat because there is no supply path. That's my understanding, anyway, and my experiences in-game have matched it.

So when attacked they get auto surrounded sometimes even if not made to retreat? That is the bit I do not understand and I am sure I have had retreat paths uncut I would never play one day as it allows too much micro managing and we would still be in 1942 plus it cuts both ways. I have 3 games as 2 day turns and all players have liked it. Players who play one day should try running a business I have 4 part timers here and never know whats going on every day and we all work tpgether via the net. One day is un realistic. BUT I do agree the game is set up to offer one day turns by the settings it seems to want to offer. I hope one day some company will build a witp 2 - if there is even a marginal profit I would invest - so I do not keep paying so much cooperation tax - any takers :)

< Message edited by cavalry -- 12/23/2016 5:25:25 PM >

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 15
RE: long term play feedback and issues in 44 - 12/23/2016 6:08:10 PM   
crsutton

quote:

1.If the army has low enough morale or is just fragmented as the Allies, it will surrender. I suppose that a Japanese unit will be destroyed instead.

2 Even with a green hexside if the there are enemy units in the next hex they cannot retreat even if friendly units are there.

3. Retreat is not to the next hex but towards a friendly base. No friendly bases around, the unit will be eliminated. I have had this happen in China when I have no bases left.

These might all be factors but without a screenshot nobody would know for sure.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

Post #: 16
RE: long term play feedback and issues in 44 - 12/23/2016 7:13:05 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: sprior

Some of the good ones by good players, I think he means.

He can look at mine, too. He'll learn all kinds of irrelevant stuff. On a need to know basis of course.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 17
RE: long term play feedback and issues in 44 - 12/23/2016 7:44:52 PM   
oaltinyay

quote:

I'm playing as the Japanese in exactly the same settings with the same results. However I'm prepping for the last battle with N1K1s and Ki84s in abundance. As for the fuel, if you have enough for the submaries that that's all you need. Taking the fleet out in '44 is a risky affair bc of the submaries. Make sure that you produce only what is needed and not what is coded in as default. For my case I'm building lots of subs and small combatants for littoral warfare since I know where this last battle will be : very near the home islands.

Good luck !

Post #: 18
RE: long term play feedback and issues in 44 - 12/23/2016 11:09:19 PM   
obvert

quote:

You have a lot of questions. To answer any of them I'd need to see actual screenshots or info about your economy.

If you have no fuel that would most likely be one of two things;

1. you either kept your fleet and many other ships steaming continually throughout the campaign

2. you expanded industry too much and used it all up

You are almost in 45, though, and remember, the game is set up to be a somewhat accurate depiction of conditions during the war. The situations you're describing are actually what did occur in the war. So maybe there is no problem.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

Post #: 19
RE: long term play feedback and issues in 44 - 12/24/2016 7:38:47 AM   
ny59giants

When I play Japan, it's a MUST to have Tracker up and running to manage my economy. Since you haven't posted specific data on what your fuel, oil, supply, armament, and vehicle it's hard to offer feedback. If armament is over 75k, shut it down or reduce it significantly. Same for vehicles if its around 15k. This will allow you to build up heavy industry stockpiles. By this time you should be able to steadily shut down naval shipbuilding and save more HI. Merchant shipbuilding?

If you have been running the economy without any utility program to help you, you may have dug a hole that is too late to recover from.

Post #: 20
RE: long term play feedback and issues in 44 - 12/24/2016 3:46:28 PM   
PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

quote:

1. Common Japanese mistake is to bang away and give no thought to the economy in the late war. Probably because so many games and AARs end before this time that few have the real experience. You only get so much money in the bank. Spend it all in 42 and 43 and then your economy will collapse. Just because you can build 300 Frank fighters a month does not mean that it is a good idea. Two or three experience Japanese players should write a sticky on how to survive in the late war and preserve resources.

2. You can't have it all when it comes to the Navy. Slinging those BBs around in 42 and 43 will eat up a lot of fuel. This is how the real war worked and how the game should work.

3. The Allies have fewer land units than Japan until late in the game, but the Allies can move theirs about fairly easy and it becomes harder for Japan to do so as her fleet shrinks. This is pretty historical. Japan had no shortage of troops in the war, just could no longer supply them or move them.

4. The Allies can choose to do what they did not do and invest heavily in the India Burma theater. (Both players have more flexibility) I favor this approach as an Allied player because it forces Japan into a cycle of continuous fighting. This puts a heavy strain on Japanese economy. Historically, Japan just did not have the resources for another sustained major theater. China was enough.

5. See above, Japan could not afford long campaigns historically. This is why I think invasions of Australia and India unless done quick and very well are a big problem for Japanese players

6. Use PP to buy out the units you want before rebuilding them. It cost virtually nothing to buy out a cadre.

7. As few HR as possible. However, requiring the Allies to pay PP and buy out restricted units before they can enter Burma or leave China is a reasonable one. This might help you in Burma. And no white restricted units can move into Burma at any time. I do not like restrictions to strategic bombing as it allows the Japanese player to ignore defending their vital oil centers and massing their air units at the front.

But in the end, the Japanese player has to be like a good retirement plan. There has to be something left over at the end when little or nothing is coming in....

+1

Pax

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 21
RE: long term play feedback and issues in 44 - 12/24/2016 4:05:42 PM   
PaxMondo

quote:

No, it is even. You just really need to understand the Allied OOB to know what they are going to do, just like the allied player needs to understand the IJ OOB to know what they will likely do.

quote:

If you look through the OOB's you will find that the two sides are relatively balanced in numbers. HOWEVER, the allied quality increases significantly throughout the war, whereas the IJ stay relatively static. This lulls the IJ player into a false sense of security as what is needed in '44 based upon his '42 results. The issue is that those same allied troops in '44 are more than twice as strong.

quote:

Common mistake. It isn't the game, it was your strategy. You were stealing from your left hand to give to your right, meaning you were spending supply and fuel that you didn't really have.

quote:

They dont' have 10x troops, it only feels like it as their units are focused on attack and yours are spread out over too large an area on defense. HQ attachment has no impact for LCU's that I am aware of. Base Prep for all units does matter. Have sufficient support units does matter. Command HQ prepped and in range is HUGE. IJ only has a few, allies have a lot. You must choose where to use these in defense. Good allied players will always have either (or both) an amphib HQ and command HQ prepped for their chosen beachhead. This is the bonus that is hard to overcome when trying to eject a beachhead.

Retract your perimeter. Defend what you need and where you can hurt the allies. Sept '44 you should be retreated to the PI, no further out. Any oil centers you haven't lost should be just garrisoned with kami troops. Try to hold PI/Formosa/HK/Korea/Hokkaido perimeter. Retract inwards, do not allow units to be destroyed. As you collapse in, your force ratios increase to the point where your defense is much better.

Supply is a big topic. First, you need to be sure that the HI has enough supply. STOP all factory repairs and upgrades. ALL. Go to the industry screen, at the bottom left choose stop all repairs. Each factory repairing eats 1000 supply/day. In '44, depending upon your HI/LI expansion and what you still control, you are only making ~35K supply/day, could be as low as 24K/day. You can easily burn up all your supply in factory repair.

Second, when Tokyo has +750K supply (this is indicator that the entire HI has sufficient supply) and MORE IS BETTER, then you can start exporting supply. Never drop below 750K. You should know at this point in a game I would have +4M in Tokyo.

Ship it to your inner perimeter, NOT Java. Move your outer units in. Use naval asset and air transports. Air uses a LOT of supply in moving units, not as much as rebuilding ones, but still a lot.

Stop all reinforcements and upgrades for LCU's. This uses a LOT of supply. Go to the Unit screen (G), then on the bottom toggle upgrades OFF and reinforcements OFF for all units. Turn on only those that you need and only in the HI and don't allow Tokyo to drop below 750K.

Ships: use fuel whenever in a TF, even in port. Anything not on a specific mission needs to be disbanded in a port. Historically, the KB spent 2/3's of the time disbanded in port due to fuel conservation. Yeah, they only sailed 10 days/month on average for the war. The BB's? try like 2 days/month average.

Fuel, whatever DEI oil/fuel centers you still have, at this point, you can try kami fuel runs of single tanker TFs. Good luck. A few will get through. The others will become allied VP's in a few months no matter what you do, I would try to get some fuel back to the HI before that happens. Conserve your AK's. Nemo has shown that desparate amphib operations can still be successful against the allies in late '45 to maintain the inner perimeter ... you may want that option.

quote:

Without screen shots and a fair amount of specific game history, I can't answer that.

quote:

Just because that happened historically does not mean those circumstances will repeat. In '43, the allies get their first major LCU upgrade. If the allies invest in Burma, contrary to history, and with no HR's, IJ cannot hope to compete unless China has been taken out of the game.

quote:

Answered by other posts, buy out points are based upon actual, not future, unit size.

quote:

however you like to play. There are few HR's that favor one side over the other for the entire game. EX: I feel that PDU ON favors IJ early, but allies later. Early, it allows the IJ to get better aircraft into use when on attack. Later, it allows the allies to get their best aircraft when they have production to support that into their units on attack. Pretty balanced, BUT not for the entire game ...

< Message edited by PaxMondo -- 12/24/2016 4:58:27 PM >

Pax

Post #: 22
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> long term play feedback and issues in 44 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI