Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

JohnTillerSoftware

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> JohnTillerSoftware Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
JohnTillerSoftware - 1/17/2017 10:04:20 PM   
afspret

Has any body tried any of the games made by JohnTillerSoftware? If so, what did you think and are they worth investing the time in?
Post #: 1
RE: JohnTillerSoftware - 1/17/2017 10:16:01 PM   
gravyhair

Don't think they run on Win10 - did you check the website carefully? They were fun back in the day, especially PBEM, but lack AI in the worst way.

Wise Men Still Seek Him

(in reply to afspret)
Post #: 2
RE: JohnTillerSoftware - 1/17/2017 10:16:58 PM   
btd64

I have a few Tiller titles. Campaign Series, Campaign series Middle East, A few others I can't remember the names of. Yes, their good quality games....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to afspret)
Post #: 3
RE: JohnTillerSoftware - 1/17/2017 10:18:54 PM   
btd64

The AI in the Campaign Series is fine. I have never had a problem with the AI in any of tillers titles....GP

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 4
RE: JohnTillerSoftware - 1/17/2017 11:30:17 PM   
Rusty1961

The format of the game is stale. Was all the rage in 1999, but haven't changed much if at all in nearly 20 years. I played them to death and they are now old. NGP'85 still is good, but he rest are not holding up well.

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 5
RE: JohnTillerSoftware - 1/18/2017 6:52:04 AM   
Chris21wen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rusty1961

The format of the game is stale. Was all the rage in 1999, but haven't changed much if at all in nearly 20 years. I played them to death and they are now old. NGP'85 still is good, but he rest are not holding up well.

Everything is in in the eye of the beholder so you won't be surprised if I disagree, well partly. The interface particularly loading, saving etc could do with modernization but the games still play well. I've just bought Campaign Series - Middle East and quite happy with it other than that.

(in reply to Rusty1961)
Post #: 6
RE: JohnTillerSoftware - 1/18/2017 10:37:37 AM   
RFalvo69

To bring this thread more IT, "Midway" is great. The "arming/refueling/launching cycle" coupled with needs like turning into the wind (which makes one minute feel like five) make you understand the reality of carrier warfare better than any other game I tried. You really understand why five minutes can make the difference between victory and defeat.

If you have played NWS' "Steam and Iron", the feeling is quite similar - only with WWII carrier battles instead of WWI battlewagons.

"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 7
RE: JohnTillerSoftware - 1/18/2017 10:52:57 AM   
zwobot

quote:

ORIGINAL: gravyhair

Don't think they run on Win10 - did you check the website carefully? They were fun back in the day, especially PBEM, but lack AI in the worst way.

The JTS games I have run well on Windows 10 (e. g. Squad battles Falklands, First World War, Modern Campaigns Danube Front'85).

I like the games, they are reasonable sources for me for OOBs. I've read players criticising that JTS games all feel and play very similar regardless of which timeframe a particular game portrays. Although this may be true, I find myself coming back to some of them for a quick scenario because they are fun to play and that's what counts for me.

(in reply to gravyhair)
Post #: 8
RE: JohnTillerSoftware - 1/18/2017 1:56:03 PM   
crsutton

I recently jumped back into his games after a long hiatus. I just finished a scenario out of Tunisa 43 from the Panzer Campaign Series and found it to be great. The system is a bit simplistic but I have always found the game to be fun and visually easy on my eyes. I play in 2D and have never liked the 3D option. The best games of that series in my eyes are the ones that have lower unit density and allow for a lot of mobility. The East Front Slogging matches I find are a bit boring.

Much to my surprise, my buddy and I started playing the two WWI titles that they have. East Prussia 14 and France 14. These two games are actually quite fun and feature a full range of scenarios and full length campaigns to keep you happy. Actually the game engine is very well suited for WWI combat and the 1914 campaigns really do offer a lot of mobility and chance for maneuver. I really like them and we have been switching back and forth between east and west. The have a Civil War Series which is fairly good. There is a Napoleonic series which uses pretty much the same engine but quite frankly the graphics are so poor as to bother my eyes so I do not fool with them. Don't really under standwhy as the other games have decent graphics. The appeal is to gamers that cut their teeth on board games. I strictly play vs humans and can't say much about the AI. If you want to try one, I recommend that you go with the WWI games or one of the more fluid Panzer Campaign titles and then find a human to go head to head with.

They have added a lot more features over the years. They are easy to learn and play but also require some skill. Not WITP but OK with me.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to zwobot)
Post #: 9
RE: JohnTillerSoftware - 1/21/2017 8:27:53 PM   
JeffroK

I have a few JTS & HPS games, they are all pretty good though some make poor simulations (or just dont suit me)
The 2 WW1 games are great, but immense and the latest Normandy campaign at Company level can suck you in for months.

As for The format of the game is stale. Was all the rage in 1999, but haven't changed much if at all in nearly 20 years. I played them to death and they are now old. NGP'85 still is good, but he rest are not holding up well. do you have any idea when the PACWAR/UV/WITP/WITPAE chain begam?

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 10
RE: JohnTillerSoftware - 1/21/2017 10:00:58 PM   
btd64

Back in the 70's with the board game Pacific War....GP

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 11
RE: JohnTillerSoftware - 1/21/2017 10:34:13 PM   
rockmedic109

I think I sold that game back in the dice and cardboard counters age.

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 12
RE: JohnTillerSoftware - 1/21/2017 11:39:45 PM   
Rusty1961

The Tiller games are nowhere remotely balanced-very pro-German in the WW2 games.

Take the Kursk '43 game. We all know the Germans lost the battle of Kursk, but these games are so imbalanced as to be nowhere remotely near historical:

http://www.theblitz.org/scenarios/pzc-07-kursk-43/0705-03a-south-sector-campaign-welcome-to-the-fascists-alt/b-15.htm?action=scenario&id=6167

German wins: 75
Russian wins: 25.

http://www.theblitz.org/scenarios/pzc-07-kursk-43/0705-02-north-sector-campaign-not-one-step-back/b-15.htm?action=scenario&id=6141

German wins:78
Russian Wins: 17
Ties: 4

They are somewhat fun, but not nearly historical.

(in reply to rockmedic109)
Post #: 13
RE: JohnTillerSoftware - 1/22/2017 1:17:07 AM   
crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rusty1961

The Tiller games are nowhere remotely balanced-very pro-German in the WW2 games.

Take the Kursk '43 game. We all know the Germans lost the battle of Kursk, but these games are so imbalanced as to be nowhere remotely near historical:

http://www.theblitz.org/scenarios/pzc-07-kursk-43/0705-03a-south-sector-campaign-welcome-to-the-fascists-alt/b-15.htm?action=scenario&id=6167

German wins: 75
Russian wins: 25.

http://www.theblitz.org/scenarios/pzc-07-kursk-43/0705-02-north-sector-campaign-not-one-step-back/b-15.htm?action=scenario&id=6141

German wins:78
Russian Wins: 17
Ties: 4

They are somewhat fun, but not nearly historical.

You are citing one game. I have not found this in some that I have played. However, I own most of them but really have not played any of the East Front games.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Rusty1961)
Post #: 14
RE: JohnTillerSoftware - 1/22/2017 3:42:15 AM   
JeffroK

It could also be that the players use the Wehrmacht to its maximum potential, same as a JFB can ahistorically perform better than in real\life.

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 15
RE: JohnTillerSoftware - 1/23/2017 2:45:48 PM   
Omnius

John Tiller puts out pathetic garbage, don't buy unless you like being a fool soon separated from his money. Always a pathetic AI that can't follow roads and a worthless cookie cutter scenario design.

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 16
RE: JohnTillerSoftware - 1/23/2017 3:39:35 PM   
Chris21wen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Omnius

John Tiller puts out pathetic garbage, don't buy unless you like being a fool soon separated from his money. Always a pathetic AI that can't follow roads and a worthless cookie cutter scenario design.

Strong remarks here. They are not garbage nor pathetic. From your post I see you play Panzer Corp, I don't and could easily use your comments on that game but as I said earlier it's in the eye of the beholder. There's only one way to find out about any game, play it.

(in reply to Omnius)
Post #: 17
RE: JohnTillerSoftware - 1/23/2017 4:48:44 PM   
Alpha77

I have 2 older games from them, I think they are good if you like more oldstyled wargames...yes, the engine gets a bit old meanwhile but all the cookie cutter 3rd person shooter games are more redunant imo

< Message edited by Alpha77 -- 1/23/2017 4:49:48 PM >

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 18
RE: JohnTillerSoftware - 1/24/2017 1:27:28 AM   
geofflambert

Not John Tiller, but I have a friend who has been puttering around making an Eastern Front WWII game using the TOAW system for years. He's been playtesting it with his brother for about 6 months or so and when he's done fiddling with it I'll make it available in the WitP-AE forum somewhere.

(in reply to Alpha77)
Post #: 19
RE: JohnTillerSoftware - 1/24/2017 1:34:37 AM   
btd64

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Not John Tiller, but I have a friend who has been puttering around making an Eastern Front WWII game using the TOAW system for years. He's been playtesting it with his brother for about 6 months or so and when he's done fiddling with it I'll make it available in the WitP-AE forum somewhere.

I have a look at it....GP

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 20
RE: JohnTillerSoftware - 1/28/2017 4:40:05 PM   
IdahoNYer

HPS's Panzer and Modern Campaigns are perhaps showing a little age, but they are IMO still the best battalion level computer wargames out there. AI was never the series strong point, but I've played many PBEMs from both sides and have no complaints on the system. And amazingly for a 15+ year old system, it still runs fine on Win10.

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 21
RE: JohnTillerSoftware - 1/29/2017 1:05:16 AM   
crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: Omnius

Hmmmmm... I am playing the Race to the Sea campaign/scenario in France 1914 and loving the hell out of it. But I don't play vs the AI. Eye of the beholder, I suppose.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Omnius)
Post #: 22
RE: JohnTillerSoftware - 1/29/2017 8:33:51 PM   
rlm60

I have played and am still playing several of the JTS games. They work fine in windows 10 and I like them a lot. My only complaint was the lack of another level of 2d zoom. After contacting them they assured me they were retrofitting that detail in all their games.

Sure enough Leipzig campaign had the fix

As I said I like them a lot

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 23
RE: JohnTillerSoftware - 1/30/2017 2:18:34 AM   
Flicker

I have several of the John Tiller Battleground series published by Talonsoft (Waterloo, Prelude to Waterloo, Napoleon in Russia, Antietam, Bull Run, Gettysburg). All from the 1990s. My games won't run on Windows 10, so I kept an old PC just to play these games.

(in reply to rlm60)
Post #: 24
RE: JohnTillerSoftware - 1/30/2017 3:21:53 PM   
crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flicker

I have several of the John Tiller Battleground series published by Talonsoft (Waterloo, Prelude to Waterloo, Napoleon in Russia, Antietam, Bull Run, Gettysburg). All from the 1990s. My games won't run on Windows 10, so I kept an old PC just to play these games.

I have not tried to load up any of the older games that I have on disc. However, I have recently bought Leipzig, Tunisa 42, France 1914 and East Prussia 1914 and installed them via download. I have had no issues with Windows 10.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Flicker)
Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> JohnTillerSoftware Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI