Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Love the Game need some help

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> The War Room >> Love the Game need some help Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Love the Game need some help - 7/28/2017 1:36:01 PM   
lekw

Hi all I love this game although I am not that good at it. I have been reading the forums and have been playing as the Axis in the 1939 campaign so far I got to 1943 several times but was more or less finished on both fronts by then. Was hoping for some general advice:

Africa- I always have gone with the Africa Corps option and usually reinforce Africa with a few more Italian and one or two German units. In my last few games by the end of 41 I actually broke the British and was able to conquer Egypt, Palestine and then move into Iraq. I thought this would be terrible for the British but they still seem to have tons of ability to reinforce their navy. Also once I moved into Persia I was confronted by a huge Russian force and was forced to go on the defensive with my units slowly being destroyed. Any advice for a successful Africa/Middle East strategy? I am starting to think I should just defend in Libya and use all resources in the East?

Russia- I have tried several different methods but the Russians seem to have millions of troops. I develop huge pockets seem to destroy twenty or thirty units after four or so turns but am then met with a counter attack in another sector. I do the same again a huge tactical victory but then just another push by the Russians. I see to always destroy hundreds of Russian units by 43 but fail to get to Moscow. And then I am met with huge Russian armies in Persia and a Russian offensive into Finland and an American landing in France? Also even though I am taking cities and destroying tons of Armies by 43 the Russians seem to be up to me technologically. I would have thought they are buying massive replacements?

The Atlantic- Following the advice on the forum by 42 I am able to really hold my own with my uboats. I destroy a good portion of the British navy yet by 43 the British, Americans and Canadians start sending unlimited number of transports to France. My battleships and uboats must have destroyed 30 or so transports yet we need to resupply and they keep coming. By mid 43 they are still able to land a massive force in France?

Sorry for all the questions, I love the game and thank you all for all the help on the forum. I need all the help I can get!!!
Post #: 1
RE: Love the Game need some help - 7/29/2017 5:19:08 AM   
Amadeus

Maybe time is a problem with you. You should control how many units the Allies or any nation has. Please watch the Reports and compare its developement over the playing time. This could help. If your grey charts are not going well you are to slow maybe. What difficulty level are you playing?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Amadeus -- 7/29/2017 5:20:53 AM >

"You have to practice what you preach"(RONALD BELFORD SCOTT)

(in reply to lekw)
Post #: 2
RE: Love the Game need some help - 7/29/2017 5:56:32 AM   
lekw

Thanks for the advice. I am playing on low difficulty. Not the lowest but the one after that. Like I said I am just not that good at the game although by reading the forum I think I am getting better. I take a lot of time in Russia because these opportunities to destroy large pockets of Soviet units seem to present themselves. I understand that the Russians have tons of reserves but destroying like 15-20 Soviet units at a time seems to do nothing to slow down either their tech development or new units. Perhaps I should hold defensively and just attack on one front? Problem is this would cause me to lose MPP's I get from taking more Russian cities and I assume give the Russians even more ability to reinforce?

Interested if anyone concentrates on Africa? With all the Russian units engaged in Europe I was surprised to see these large Russian armies in Persia pushing me back into Iraq? Also seems like even though I take the British oil fields in the Middle East they still have the ability to build tons of fighters and bombers and ships.

Thanks in advance for the help, can't wait to try again hopefully some point this weekend!!!

(in reply to Amadeus)
Post #: 3
RE: Love the Game need some help - 7/29/2017 6:58:47 AM   
Amadeus

I assume you did it well in Egypt. Late 41 even 42 to beat the Allies there is good. But you have to attack strong in Russia. Not waiting because the enemy will grow stronger. On lower levels you should be able to beat the Russians in first half of 42. As I said before time is critical for Axis.

"You have to practice what you preach"(RONALD BELFORD SCOTT)

(in reply to lekw)
Post #: 4
RE: Love the Game need some help - 7/30/2017 5:37:48 PM   
lekw

Thank you so much for the help. I guess my question with Egypt is how do I exploit my success? After destroying the British forces in Africa is the best option to go for Iraq and Persia?

(in reply to Amadeus)
Post #: 5
RE: Love the Game need some help - 8/13/2017 1:20:04 AM   
kcole4001

You can really only venture into Persia once the Russians are fully engaged: fighting to keep you out of Moscow and the Caucasus.
They do indeed have millions of troops.
You have to eliminate their units, not damage them.
Pick a target and kill it, rather than damage three or four.
They can afford the reinforcements, they can't afford to wait for the months required for unit production delay to fill the gaps in their lines.

If you can't kill a unit, it will get away, another unit will plug the hole and then next turn the first unit will be reinforced to full strength again.
If you can't kill the unit and you will take damage, you may well be better off not attacking until you can kill your target.
You cannot afford the extra time and MPP to reinforce your damaged units like the Russian can, not to mention the loss of experience.
If you can't kill it, but won't take damage you might as well attack to gain a little experience.

The war in Russia is a long grind, there's no way around it and you have to make the most of what you have every single turn.

When the weather turns bad I try to fly my air units south where they can still operate.
You then have to anticipate when the weather will improve in spring to bring them back up north where they'll be needed again.

< Message edited by kcole4001 -- 8/13/2017 1:22:41 AM >

(in reply to lekw)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> The War Room >> Love the Game need some help Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI