Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Royal Navy submarines attack Soviet convoys

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Royal Navy submarines attack Soviet convoys Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Royal Navy submarines attack Soviet convoys - 10/24/2017 10:16:36 PM   
wildcolonialboy

Hello

I decided to create a scenario after being inspired by a documentary film on YouTube, a two-part filmed in 1983 aboard the Royal Navy nuclear hunter-killer SSN, HMS Warspite**. The documentary was made in the early 1980s and it depicts a large NATO naval exercise called 'Ocean Safari' where the Warspite is playing the "Orange" team (the Soviets). It really is quite fascinating watching them dodging various helicopters and naval patrols, and undertaking sub-Harpoon and torpedo attacks on convoys.

I also quite like that the submarine has a part-analog, part-digital feel. It's not a CIC that looks like the bridge of the starship Enterprise, it really does look like a submarine. I'm not allowed to post links until seven days after my tenth post, so if you would like to see this documentary if you search "HMS Warspite nuclear submarine" on YouTube the two episodes (each around 30 minutes) will appear in the list third from the top.

So I created a scenario where the Icelandic government is overthrown by communists, and they throw NATO out of their country. They then ask for aid from Moscow. Your job is to sink the Soviet cargo ships while avoiding their patrols. I really wanted a scenario that evokes the sort of cold, stormy North Sea a bit like Hunt for the Red October. It's also interesting because the nuclear submarines of the early-1980s Royal Navy still had unguided Mark 8 "straight runners" (which were used in the Falklands War to sink the Arg. cruiser General Belgrano; they were perceived as more reliable than the wire-guided Tigerfish).

Anyway, I'm not really sure if there's a way for me to submit my scenario before my seven days after ten posts is up. Any ideas?

**Why does the Royal Navy have the best ship names? Names like Conqueror, Thunderer, Ambush, Ajax, Temaraire, Swiftsure, Turbulent, Spartan, Valiant and Centaur

< Message edited by wildcolonialboy -- 10/24/2017 10:31:38 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Royal Navy submarines attack Soviet convoys - 10/25/2017 12:12:34 AM   
Gunner98

quote:

**Why does the Royal Navy have the best ship names?

Two reasons:

1. They invented the language; and
2. 500 years of practice

(in reply to wildcolonialboy)
Post #: 2
RE: Royal Navy submarines attack Soviet convoys - 10/25/2017 1:47:57 AM   
Airborne Rifles

If memory serves, Warspite was Winston Churchill’s compromise after he’d tried to name a dreadnought the HMS Oliver Cromwell. Apparently the monarch wasn’t amused with that one

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 3
RE: Royal Navy submarines attack Soviet convoys - 10/25/2017 2:55:05 AM   
Randomizer

Of course there have also been several HMS Dainty's, an HMS Ant and HMS Bee. WSC also wanted one of the QE's to be named HMS Pitt but the King, being very familiar with Royal Navy rhyming slang in the Lower Decks, understandably vetoed that as well.

To the OP, suggest make enough posts to get you over the anti-SPAM threshold and then zip up your scenario and post it in the Mods and Scenarios forum for feedback from the community. Good Luck.

-C

(in reply to Airborne Rifles)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Royal Navy submarines attack Soviet convoys Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI