Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

ASW mission question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> ASW mission question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
ASW mission question - 1/17/2018 7:45:23 AM   
Phoenix100

Relative novice question - but, when playing through Duellists I noticed that the 3 helo ASW missions were chained to the carrier they were protecting - ie; when the carrier moved the tracks for the ASW missions also automatically moved, relative to it. I've tried to work out how to set up this kind of tracking, but can't. Can anyone help? How do I set up ASW missions that will keep a fixed distance and bearing from a certain unit? Thanks.
Post #: 1
RE: ASW mission question - 1/17/2018 7:59:32 AM   
rmunie0613

There may be other ways to do it...but what I do is
1-create reference points
2- (under same tab) with those (and- important- ONLY those reference points) selected, choose "make selected reference points relative (fixed or rotating- your option here) to -----" then select which unit or group that you want the reference points to "follow"...and then use them to create an ASW or AAW mission.

< Message edited by rmunie0613 -- 1/17/2018 8:01:23 AM >

(in reply to Phoenix100)
Post #: 2
RE: ASW mission question - 1/17/2018 8:06:43 AM   
rmunie0613

If your unit is on the same trajectory/path, then you probably want the reference points 'fixed' so they will remain, for example, at a specific bearing as your unit or group proceeds along its path from point A to point B...but if the unit (or the threat axis) is changing directions much along the path, then 'rotating' may work better, where if an enemy threat is from point X, say...and your unit is moving along a bearing where the direction to point X will change, for example...then you would choose the 'rotating' choice to keep the patrol mission between your unit, and that "point X"

(in reply to rmunie0613)
Post #: 3
RE: ASW mission question - 1/17/2018 9:26:47 PM   
FTBSS

Generally speaking I use the rotating reference points in ASW patrols to search area in front of my surface groups and slightly off to the side, this keeps those low and slow subs from sitting in my path silent until you hear the torpedo doors opening or spot missiles breaching the surface. If subs approach from rear or sides at speed you can usually detect them on the way in and fire "long range" rocket torpedoes or ready 5 helicopters to strike them before they get in torpedo kill range.

Fixed reference point I use to set up my cap and aew and would OECM (if it worked properly for screening surface vessels) this is to keep the detection of incoming bogies at extended range from most likely threat axis (enemy airfield, most likely transit for enemy SAGS).

(in reply to rmunie0613)
Post #: 4
RE: ASW mission question - 1/18/2018 1:00:32 PM   
Phoenix100

Thanks guys. But I don't seem to be able to find those additional options, rmunie0613. Pic below of what I have in my new mission dialogue. Did you mean choose 'highlight + centre on selected point'? Then where are the additional options - fixed or rotating to be found.

I have tried selecting the ref points and clicking highlight + centre on selected point, and that seems to work. But puzzled about those other options. Thanks.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to FTBSS)
Post #: 5
RE: ASW mission question - 1/18/2018 2:26:40 PM   
Gunner98

Phoenix100

You need to take a step backwards, you make the RPs referential in the main game area not the mission editor. Am not at the game right now so cannot give a screenshot but:

-On the main map screen go to the Mission editor menu
-about half way down the menu are some options to make the RPs referential either fixed or rotating.

B

(in reply to Phoenix100)
Post #: 6
RE: ASW mission question - 1/18/2018 3:03:32 PM   
thewood1

from the manual page 75...

6.7.1. CHANGING REFERENCE POINT PROPERTIES

You can change several properties of reference points in the game in the Mission and Ref. Points drop-down.

Making Reference Points Relative: These properties give you the
ability to anchor reference points to moving surface unit of your or
a friendly side. These are set by selecting reference points, choosing
the property in the drop-down list and then selecting the unit or
group in the display they will be relative to. This allows you to create
mission(s) with defined areas that move relative to a certain unit or
its course, such as assigning any aircraft to a mission that protects
a moving surface unit (AAW, ASW) or units.

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 7
RE: ASW mission question - 1/18/2018 4:40:48 PM   
Schr75

Hi Phoenix100

See attached picture.
Highlight the proper waypoints.
Select the relevant "make relative" option in the dropdown menu.
Then select the unit the waypoints should be "relative" to.

That´s it.

You can then assign the waypoints to any mission you want,

Søren

Attachment (1)

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 8
RE: ASW mission question - 1/18/2018 5:29:06 PM   
Phoenix100

Ah! Thanks so much. Sorry to have been so dense as to miss the dropdown options in that menu. Thanks.

(in reply to Schr75)
Post #: 9
RE: ASW mission question - 1/18/2018 7:12:57 PM   
rmunie0613

These guys beat me to it, thank you guys.

One of the best things about this game is the support- both from the devs, and in the forum... if one is polite, as you have been, rather than coming in "yelling" about "this is broken"...there is a lot of help here...Good luck.

< Message edited by rmunie0613 -- 1/18/2018 7:13:40 PM >

(in reply to Phoenix100)
Post #: 10
RE: ASW mission question - 1/18/2018 7:16:35 PM   
rmunie0613

***Very important*** when you do the above, to be sure that only the Ref Points you intend are highlighted when you make them linked to a group or unit...a lesson I learned the hard way when I accidently left one highlighted from an earlier mission, and pulled an ASW patrol linked to that reference point, into a new pattern as that point began moving, and got several Helos shot down as their patrol began stretching into a high threat area.

(in reply to rmunie0613)
Post #: 11
RE: ASW mission question - 1/19/2018 5:13:48 PM   
Schr75

quote:

ORIGINAL: rmunie0613

***Very important*** when you do the above, to be sure that only the Ref Points you intend are highlighted when you make them linked to a group or unit...a lesson I learned the hard way when I accidently left one highlighted from an earlier mission, and pulled an ASW patrol linked to that reference point, into a new pattern as that point began moving, and got several Helos shot down as their patrol began stretching into a high threat area.

This is the exact reason why the "De-select all reference points" option was added
I always de-select all RPs before I select the RPs I want to use. I have all too often forgot about a selected RP and messed up a mission

(in reply to rmunie0613)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> ASW mission question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI