Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

(1.14) How to define circular areas

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> (1.14) How to define circular areas Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
(1.14) How to define circular areas - 2/19/2018 9:12:50 PM   
HalfLifeExpert

I don't seem to understand how to use the new feature of drawing a circular area as opposed to a rectangle.

This is what the patch notes say:

quote:

Users can now define circle-area in addition to existing rectangle-area (right click on empty map location).

I've tried right clicking on the map without anything pre selected, as well as right clicking after selecting "Define Area"

What am I missing here?
Post #: 1
RE: (1.14) How to define circular areas - 2/19/2018 11:36:17 PM   
thewood1

Did a quick search on "circle". This came up as the first return.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=4430845

(in reply to HalfLifeExpert)
Post #: 2
RE: (1.14) How to define circular areas - 2/20/2018 12:45:06 PM   
HercMighty

"Works same as a rectangle.

1. Use Cntl + right click to bring up menu (Unit, Reference Pt, Rectangle, Circle).
2. Select "Define Area - Circle"
3. When the "pointing hand" cursor appears place it where you want the center of the circle.
4. Hold the left button down and drag the "hand". It should create a circle around the area selected by the "hand" pointer. At least it does for me."

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 3
RE: (1.14) How to define circular areas - 2/20/2018 2:23:47 PM   
HaughtKarl

Holy crap, when did we get the ability to draw circles? Was it always there or was it introduced in a recent patch?

(in reply to HercMighty)
Post #: 4
RE: (1.14) How to define circular areas - 2/20/2018 2:29:39 PM   
Eggstor

Part of the 1.14 update.

(in reply to HaughtKarl)
Post #: 5
RE: (1.14) How to define circular areas - 2/20/2018 2:30:26 PM   
thewood1

If you follow the link, it tells you.

(in reply to HaughtKarl)
Post #: 6
RE: (1.14) How to define circular areas - 2/20/2018 4:56:11 PM   
SeaQueen

quote:

ORIGINAL: HaughtKarl
Holy crap, when did we get the ability to draw circles? Was it always there or was it introduced in a recent patch?

Seriously, I think this is the single most practical patch released yet. I'm already thinking of all the things I want to draw circles for.

(in reply to HaughtKarl)
Post #: 7
RE: (1.14) How to define circular areas - 2/20/2018 6:36:06 PM   
HalfLifeExpert

Thanks, that did it. I didn't know about ctrl+right click because I always used the drop down menus. I guess it's just a personal quirk that I am slow to use hotkeys, but with this new feature, it should be added to the drop down menu alongside the old 'define area' command.

quote:

ORIGINAL: SeaQueen

quote:

ORIGINAL: HaughtKarl

Seriously, I think this is the single most practical patch released yet. I'm already thinking of all the things I want to draw circles for.

Oh yes, In fact my favorite practical addition, by far, is the 'mark contact location' feature.

< Message edited by HalfLifeExpert -- 2/20/2018 6:37:16 PM >

(in reply to SeaQueen)
Post #: 8
RE: (1.14) How to define circular areas - 2/20/2018 9:36:51 PM   
ultradave

I can't make this work using Parallels Desktop on my Mac. I'll have to look into key mappings and report back. I don't know how many there are that play this way but no matter what I try it's like CTRL is not being pressed and the map just shifts to the cursor.

----------------
Dave A.
"When the Boogeyman goes to sleep he checks his closet for paratroopers"

(in reply to HalfLifeExpert)
Post #: 9
RE: (1.14) How to define circular areas - 2/23/2018 5:04:26 AM   
mavfin

quote:

ORIGINAL: ultradave

I can't make this work using Parallels Desktop on my Mac. I'll have to look into key mappings and report back. I don't know how many there are that play this way but no matter what I try it's like CTRL is not being pressed and the map just shifts to the cursor.

Is the Mac OS stealing your ctrl-clicks? Default on a mac is ctrl-click = right click/context menu, unless you tell the mouse control panel different. Under default behavior, it won't see ctrl-right-click.

Having said that, I don't play Command on Parallels, so I can't tell you much more than that. I own a Mac, but now that Apple no longer supports Metal on anything before 2012, this is a Windows 10 box 95% of the time.

(in reply to ultradave)
Post #: 10
RE: (1.14) How to define circular areas - 2/23/2018 9:24:29 AM   
Zaslon

IMHO the workflow is not very intuitive.
I think that is better use a modifier key to draw circles.

1. Select "Define Area".
2. When the "pointing hand" cursor appears place it where you want the center of the circle.
3. Hold left control key and the left button down and drag the "hand". It should create a circle around the area selected by the "hand" pointer.

left ctrl, left alt...or another modifier key.

Kids think about Iran and Amateurs think about Russia, but professionals think about China

(in reply to mavfin)
Post #: 11
RE: (1.14) How to define circular areas - 2/23/2018 11:53:55 AM   
ultradave

quote:

ORIGINAL: mavfin

quote:

ORIGINAL: ultradave

Is the Mac OS stealing your ctrl-clicks? Default on a mac is ctrl-click = right click/context menu, unless you tell the mouse control panel different. Under default behavior, it won't see ctrl-right-click.

Having said that, I don't play Command on Parallels, so I can't tell you much more than that. I own a Mac, but now that Apple no longer supports Metal on anything before 2012, this is a Windows 10 box 95% of the time.

Not sure what's happening. Right click = ctrl click or two fingers on the trackpad and that normally works just fine. For example the unit orders menu when right clicking on a unit on a map. No problems there. I'll keep digging.

----------------
Dave A.
"When the Boogeyman goes to sleep he checks his closet for paratroopers"

(in reply to mavfin)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> (1.14) How to define circular areas Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI