Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Bombing Poll results

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Bombing Poll results Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Bombing Poll results - 6/1/2003 1:20:29 AM   
Mr.Frag

Seems with the threads here and in WitP, folks are pretty equally matched in agreeing that things are not right, but vary in where they need to be fixed.

To condense the opinions into a simple list:

(a) Too accurate against naval targets.

(b) Too effective at inflicting ground casualties.

(c) Operate too easily at small bases.

(d) AA losses not on par with reality. (units being destroyed on the ground too quickly)

(e) Immunity to fighters too high still (non-B-17).

(f) Raid sizes too large.

(g) Overuse of low level attacks.

(h) Supply loss due to damage is too high.

These issues all relate to each other to some degree or another as far as cause and effect. For example, a smaller raid size would reduce naval hits obviously.

Possible solutions:

(a) limit raid sizes to finite numbers of planes OR dynamically adjust range and weapon load based on number of planes.

(b) limit basing of Medium/Heavy bombers to larger bases OR increase the operational loss rate penalty to a higher base size to increase the cost of operation.

(c) Double the intercept rates on large raids (ie: raid is so large that fighters get 2 chances to intercept and do damage).

(d) Increase the supply use of bombers to realistically cause forward basing to be a drain on other assets.

(e) Disallow basing at *overbuilt* bases. Use SPS value as limiting factor.

(f) Introduce a finite number of squadrons to a base rule or change the # planes = size x 50 rule to # engines = size x 50.

(g) Increase the chance of a raid not finding it's target. This should be a combination of range/weather/interception/fatigue.

(h) Increase runway repair rate but counter this with service repair rate decrease (you can fly what's working, but repairs take longer at damaged base).

(i) Decrease damage taken to ground units. Disruption should be a factor still (small harrassment raids to prevent folks from being able to sleep was used historically).

(j) Decrease damage taken to naval targets by forcing larger raids to break up into sections per target (ie: it took 9 B-17's to drop a pattern large enough to ensure a ship could not move out of the spread. For each group of 9, you have a sure hit, but the game doesn't work the math that way.)

(k) Increase AA effectiveness against slow flying level bombers (forcing them up higher for safety). Damaged planes should abort and not continue on to target.

As you can see, a lot of these possible solutions intermix with each other as to overall effects. For example, (k) would result in (j) & (i) not being required.

No one person is going to agree exactly what show or could be done, and not all folks will agree that something actually needs to be done based on the poll results of only 80% wanting something done. I think we can safely agree to disagree on this topic.

One of the toughest things to manage is the fact that we have history to look back on and not make the same mistakes so we already start with a huge advantage.

Being honest about this, I have a vested interest in shifting the game towards a naval focus as thats where my interests happen to be. Air Force domination in the latter part of WW II is well documented, but so is it's ineffectiveness during the early years as it's needs outgrew it's availability as technology continued to show what it could do.

A perfect example of this is the B-17 in 1942, where it was tasked with naval search, not because it was a naval search aircraft, but simply because it could shoot down intercepting fighters and still continue the search. PBY's (the search plane of the time) used in that roll were a one way trip, get spotted and pray there is a cloud to hide in or die. Air Force records document that 80% of all B-17 missions flown were search and early on, they did not even carry bombs much to the frustration of the aircrew who would spot something and be able to do nothing.

When used in a naval attack capacity, due to many factors that actually had nothing to do with the aircraft itself, results were in the 1% - 2.5% range at putting bombs on target. I need to stress that these results were not at all due to the plane itself, but a cronic shortage of fuel and bombs for training, extreme fatigue on the aircrews due to the long missions flown as all missions were always at long range, lack of spare parts to keep aircraft flight worthy, poor airfield control resulting in wasting hours of fuel forming raids up (which reduced the range and increase fatigue), etc.
Post #: 1
Re: Bombing Poll results - 6/1/2003 1:34:57 AM   
denisonh

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mr.Frag
[B]Seems with the threads here and in WitP, folks are pretty equally matched in agreeing that things are not right, but vary in where they need to be fixed.

To condense the opinions into a simple list:

(a) Too accurate against naval targets.

(b) Too effective at inflicting ground casualties.

(c) Operate too easily at small bases.

(d) AA losses not on par with reality.

(e) Immunity to fighters too high still (non-B-17).

(f) Raid sizes too large.

(g) Overuse of low level attacks.

(h) Supply loss due to damage is too high.

These issues all relate to each other to some degree or another as far as cause and effect. For example, a smaller raid size would reduce naval hits obviously.

Possible solutions:

(a) limit raid sizes to finite numbers of planes OR dynamically adjust range and weapon load based on number of planes.

(b) limit basing of Medium/Heavy bombers to larger bases OR increase the operational loss rate penalty to a higher base size to increase the cost of operation.

(c) Double the intercept rates on large raids (ie: raid is so large that fighters get 2 chances to intercept and do damage).

(d) Increase the supply use of bombers to realistically cause forward basing to be a drain on other assets.

(e) Disallow basing at *overbuilt* bases. Use SPS value as limiting factor.

(f) Introduce a finite number of squadrons to a base rule or change the # planes = size x 50 rule to # engines = size x 50.

(g) Increase the chance of a raid not finding it's target. This should be a combination of range/weather/interception/fatigue.

(h) Increase runway repair rate but counter this with service repair rate decrease (you can fly what's working, but repairs take longer at damaged base).

(i) Decrease damage taken to ground units. Disruption should be a factor still (small harrassment raids to prevent folks from being able to sleep was used historically).

(j) Decrease damage taken to naval targets by forcing larger raids to break up into sections per target (ie: it took 9 B-17's to drop a pattern large enough to ensure a ship could not move out of the spread. For each group of 9, you have a sure hit, but the game doesn't work the math that way.)

(k) Increase AA effectiveness against slow flying level bombers (forcing them up higher for safety). Damaged planes should abort and not continue on to target.

As you can see, a lot of these possible solutions intermix with each other as to overall effects. For example, (k) would result in (j) & (i) not being required.

No one person is going to agree exactly what show or could be done, and not all folks will agree that something actually needs to be done based on the poll results of only 80% wanting something done. I think we can safely agree to disagree on this topic.

One of the toughest things to manage is the fact that we have history to look back on and not make the same mistakes so we already start with a huge advantage.

Being honest about this, I have a vested interest in shifting the game towards a naval focus as thats where my interests happen to be. Air Force domination in the latter part of WW II is well documented, but so is it's ineffectiveness during the early years as it's needs outgrew it's availability as technology continued to show what it could do.

A perfect example of this is the B-17 in 1942, where it was tasked with naval search, not because it was a naval search aircraft, but simply because it could shoot down intercepting fighters and still continue the search. PBY's (the search plane of the time) used in that roll were a one way trip, get spotted and pray there is a cloud to hide in or die. Air Force records document that 80% of all B-17 missions flown were search and early on, they did not even carry bombs much to the frustration of the aircrew who would spot something and be able to do nothing.

When used in a naval attack capacity, due to many factors that actually had nothing to do with the aircraft itself, results were in the 1% - 2.5% range at putting bombs on target. I need to stress that these results were not at all due to the plane itself, but a cronic shortage of fuel and bombs for training, extreme fatigue on the aircrews due to the long missions flown as all missions were always at long range, lack of spare parts to keep aircraft flight worthy, poor airfield control resulting in wasting hours of fuel forming raids up (which reduced the range and increase fatigue), etc. [/B][/QUOTE]

Not a bad list, although you were right about not everybody agreeing.

[QUOTE](a) Too accurate against naval targets.[/QUOTE]

I do not disagree sopme adjustments can be made, but do not beleive it to be as bad as some portray it. I still think it is in excess of historical, but not by much.

[QUOTE](c) Double the intercept rates on large raids (ie: raid is so large that fighters get 2 chances to intercept and do damage).[/QUOTE]

This one presents problems when applied to naval air combat.

With IJN ver 2.3 uber-Zeros decimating Allied fighters, giving them another chance will imbalance air combat IMHO.

[QUOTE](d) AA losses not on par with reality.[/QUOTE]

I think this one is a function of base supply. Some bases with no/low supply have their AA effectiveness reduced. Well supplied bases with adequate AA are deadly. This is particularly true fro AA Units droped in an invasion, as they don't seem to get supply to allow them to function correctly.

As for AA losses, I recently had a raid in a PBEM game of 39 B-17s lose 10 A/C against a target without CAP (@ 11,000 ft from Luganville to Lunga, with all units 5 or less fatgue). Can't tell me AAA isn't getting the job done.

And also, implementing some of the above may be good, but some of theese "overlap" in addressing the issue and may result in "over-compensation".

"Life is tough, it's even tougher when you're stupid" -SGT John M. Stryker, USMC

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 2
- 6/1/2003 2:02:22 AM   
Mr.Frag

Guess I should have worded (d) better, I meant the fact that you can 100% disable AA units with just a few round of bombardment, not that they were not effective at hitting planes. The planes are too effective at hitting THEM :D

I agree with all the overlap, thats why just a few of the suggestions made by folks should be looked at, as they obviously cause overlap. Implementing more then two would probably go too far in the other direction.

I'll edit (d)

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Bombing Poll results Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI