Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Air Unit Spotting Ranges

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> The War Room >> Air Unit Spotting Ranges Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Air Unit Spotting Ranges - 10/5/2018 6:44:22 PM   
Bolko

I know air units do most of their spotting by conducting missions. But what about "passive spotting" based on enemy activity and proximity during the enemy turn? Is this range the same or greater than for land units? I'm not talking about Spying and Intel sightings but just what you see during the replay and what you see at the start of your turn.

3.3.3 states, "On land, most units have a Spotting Range of 2 hexes while at sea it is normally 1 hex, though air units tend to have longer Spotting Ranges."

Does this refer to the "passive" spotting range? If, so what is it. Is it variable? Other than subs does this "longer" Spotting Range include all other types of units.

6.1.4 States, "All units can spot enemy land or naval units according to their set spotting ranges.
Land units can generally spot enemy land and air units that are within 2 hexes of them, while air
units can spot further when they launch attacks or reconnaissance missions.

This rule indicates to me that 3.3.3 was a generalization and that air units spot exactly like ground units except they can also perform spotting missions. If this is so, does their passive spotting extend two hexes out to sea, unlike land units which only spot adjacent hexes when across water.

I know that CV/CVL have some capacity to passively spot nearby enemy naval units. I'm pretty sure this doesn't extend to nearby enemy land units. I know that Reconnaissance units can spot land and air out to 3 hexes but I'm pretty sure they don't do so vs naval units at sea. Is this correct?

I know that investing in Long Range Aircraft tech will increase how much is spotted Naval Air spots when performing a mission as well as the number of spotting missions for all air. But again I'm asking about passive spotting that happens during enemy movement.

My experience has been that in terms of passively spotting what the enemy player does during his turn, it is really dependent on the type of moving unit not the type of spotting unit. With the exceptions above, naval units are only spotted if adjacent and ground and air units are spotted two hexes out.

< Message edited by Bolko -- 10/5/2018 8:01:26 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Air Unit Spotting Ranges - 10/5/2018 7:47:10 PM   
Ktonos

From my experience the more air units are in an area the more enemy units beyond your normal spotting range are detected. The enemy units seem to be detected in the same manner Spy & Intel works - their position and unit type is given away but not their strength (There is a "-" in their str)

So for example when about to do Overlord, the Allied player typically amasses his air in England. This usually results in the entire channel and French coast being "passively" scouted.

(in reply to Bolko)
Post #: 2
RE: Air Unit Spotting Ranges - 10/5/2018 7:55:12 PM   
Markiss

The spotting range of aircraft is increased by "Long Range Aircraft" tech. If you have a few pips of it, you can spot quite far... they all start with a spotting range of 2 I believe.

< Message edited by Markiss -- 10/5/2018 7:57:52 PM >

(in reply to Ktonos)
Post #: 3
RE: Air Unit Spotting Ranges - 10/5/2018 8:10:42 PM   
Taxman66

I believe that only applies to sea spotting. Land spotting doesn't seem to change.

"Part of the $10 million I spent on gambling, part on booze and part on women. The rest I spent foolishly." - George Raft

(in reply to Markiss)
Post #: 4
RE: Air Unit Spotting Ranges - 10/6/2018 1:56:40 AM   
Markiss

I bow to your knowledge and experience Taxman.

(in reply to Taxman66)
Post #: 5
RE: Air Unit Spotting Ranges - 10/6/2018 5:30:51 AM   
Sugar

[image][URL=http://www.bild.me][/URL][/image]

Spotting range 7 at LR 5 (passive) on land hexes only.

[image][URL=http://www.bild.me][/URL][/image]

Indeed.

(in reply to Markiss)
Post #: 6
RE: Air Unit Spotting Ranges - 10/7/2018 3:42:28 AM   
Bolko

Thanks Sugar, that's the stuff. Appreciate the knowledge

(in reply to Sugar)
Post #: 7
RE: Air Unit Spotting Ranges - 10/7/2018 4:37:37 AM   
Ktonos

Whats up with the situation in the screenshot? My only guess is that you got the Soviet objectives but were defeated early in Egypt in early game, so you're doing the whole late Sea Lion thing?

(in reply to Bolko)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> The War Room >> Air Unit Spotting Ranges Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI