Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

USS Scorpion 1968

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Command: DLCs >> Command: The Silent Service >> USS Scorpion 1968 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
USS Scorpion 1968 - 5/21/2018 9:56:32 PM   
elxaime

Just curious whether folks think this story has validity...that the loss of USS Scorpion was due to Soviet action in retaliation for the sinking earlier by the US of one of their own subs.

http://www.historynet.com/the-uss-scorpion-buried-at-sea.htm
Post #: 1
RE: USS Scorpion 1968 - 5/24/2018 9:08:50 AM   
Rory Noonan

It’s pretty contentious. I came across this theory a few times while researching for The Silent Service; the most reliable sources seem to refute it (Norman Polmar in particular who is a very reliable source).

The other theories seem to make more sense and don’t rely on as many ‘moving parts’ compared to a widespread conspiracy.

(in reply to elxaime)
Post #: 2
RE: USS Scorpion 1968 - 5/24/2018 10:51:33 PM   
elxaime

How likely is it that the USN torpedoes of the era would loop around to hit the sub that launched them? I thought this was a WW1/WW2 type thing, Hollywood movies aside. Is that sort of thing still possible in 2018?

(in reply to Rory Noonan)
Post #: 3
RE: USS Scorpion 1968 - 5/25/2018 7:24:54 PM   
OldSarge

quote:

ORIGINAL: elxaime

How likely is it that the USN torpedoes of the era would loop around to hit the sub that launched them? I thought this was a WW1/WW2 type thing, Hollywood movies aside. Is that sort of thing still possible in 2018?

The torpedoes at the time had a safety switch that would activate on a hard turn to prevent that from happening. Of course, the switch could fail.

An excellent book "Blind Man's Bluff" contains a chapter "Death of a Submarine" that details the events surrounding the loss of the USS Scorpion and her crew. It also covers the search for the Scorpion. The Scorpion's torpedo room is still intact and did not implode with the rest of the sub, suggesting the compartment was already flooded when the sub hit crush depth. The Mk37 torpedo had batteries that were known for overheating and producing cook-offs and a theory posited by Dr. John Craven (and discussed in the book) is that the torpedo exploded in the tube.

< Message edited by OldSarge -- 5/25/2018 7:25:25 PM >

(in reply to elxaime)
Post #: 4
RE: USS Scorpion 1968 - 5/25/2018 9:07:11 PM   
elxaime

Wow - thanks, came to the right place...you guys know your stuff!

(in reply to OldSarge)
Post #: 5
RE: USS Scorpion 1968 - 5/26/2018 3:16:40 AM   
Rory Noonan

Yup Blind Man's Bluff presents the most believable story IMO

(in reply to elxaime)
Post #: 6
RE: USS Scorpion 1968 - 6/23/2018 6:53:05 PM   
i224747

This documentation is based on the book "Blind Man's Bluff: The Untold Story of American Submarine Espionage

Link => https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGGSJEp0cXA

(in reply to Rory Noonan)
Post #: 7
RE: USS Scorpion 1968 - 1/28/2019 7:16:13 PM   
AdmiralFatcat

I was in the Navy and served in submarines in 1968. I went through sub school and another school with one of the men on the Scorpion when it was sunk. This brings back a few unpleasant memories of those days.

The enemy invariably attacks on one of two occasions: 1. When you're ready for them. 2. When you're not ready for them.

(in reply to elxaime)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Command: DLCs >> Command: The Silent Service >> USS Scorpion 1968 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI