Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Largest Map Size Possible Using The In Game Editor?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command: World War I >> MODS and Scenarios >> Largest Map Size Possible Using The In Game Editor? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Largest Map Size Possible Using The In Game Editor? - 12/27/2019 2:09:39 PM   
seydlitz22513

Over the festive period, I have been experimenting with creating a very large in-game world map using the editor, the stated largest map size is 512 x 256? Well I managed to exceed that size by a big margin, the image below is for a map size of 739 x 437 Hexes, so you see the maps can be made much much larger than previously stated by the game designers. Merry Christmas everyone.

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Largest Map Size Possible Using The In Game Editor? - 12/27/2019 2:48:46 PM   
seydlitz22513

Info for anyone interested in creating a new map or scenario from scratch, I find the best thing to do is in the top left-hand corner of the game map is to list the 10 Major power Capitols first, before you start working on fine-tuning the game map adding in Mountain ranges or roads and rail line, etc.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to seydlitz22513)
Post #: 2
RE: Largest Map Size Possible Using The In Game Editor? - 2/23/2020 8:43:51 AM   
FOARP

Out of interest, how did you make the map that big?

Am thinking about doing a North America scenario stretching from Bermuda in the east to Hawaii in the west, and Anchorage in the north west to the Dominican Republic in the south east, and with 20 mile hexes that’s going to be difficult to do with the standard sized map.

Post #: 3
RE: Largest Map Size Possible Using The In Game Editor? - 10/26/2021 4:08:25 PM   
seydlitz22513

Sorry I took so long to reply to how to make the map as large as possible process listed below in easy steps.

1 = Open editor and create new scenario, don't copy any campaigns, just create new.

2 = After you have created a new scenario the editor screen will display a 10 x 10 hex, use the arrow keys to increase the map size to 512 x 256

3 = Using the map hex layer add 2 land hexes.

4 = Now set hex owner/controller for 2 Countries. You can always add more Countries later, but for now add just 2.

5 = You now need to add a Capital City for each of the Countries via resources option.

6 = You now need to edit Major Country IDs Data from the Campaign drop down menu.

7 = From the list of 10 Major Countries delete 8 you should get some messages pop up regarding other Countries link to some Countries, select yes to apply as you want to work from a clean slate for this new campaign.

8 = The final step you now need to edit the Country Data menu, and make one of your Countries Allied and the other Axis then name the scenario and save.

(in reply to FOARP)
Post #: 4
RE: Largest Map Size Possible Using The In Game Editor? - 10/26/2021 7:45:36 PM   
FOARP

Thanks for the reply. How did you make the map 739 x 437 hexes?

American Front: a Work-in-progress CSA v USA Turtledove mod for SC:WW1 can be seen here.

Post #: 5
RE: Largest Map Size Possible Using The In Game Editor? - 10/27/2021 1:03:12 AM   
Elessar2

Yes, you actually didn't mention how you did that. [/highlyinterestedparty]

will it break the editor or the game engine I wonder?

(in reply to FOARP)
Post #: 6
RE: Largest Map Size Possible Using The In Game Editor? - 10/27/2021 2:45:49 AM   
seydlitz22513

I have made a larger map than previously it is now 1199 x 715 hexes.

To make the map this size you need to use Map Scanner software that is in the Extras folder.

C:\Users\-----\Documents\My Games\Strategic Command WWII - World at War\Extras\Map Scanner\SC3 Map Scanner_Data\Resources

You can copy the World map from within then resize it 8100 x 5700 then save it as Massive World Map for example, once you have the map saved you then have to run the Map Scanner software and select the new map you created from the list,and click on the button Create Map Indexes. Then go into the editor and under the FILE MENU select Import Map Indexes. Please note at this stage the map is a blank canvas with land and sea, you need to add Capitals etc.

So far I have not run into any issues using the editor or testing the map in game.

I would post more images but for some reason the forum is not allowing me, maybe the issue is with my browser.

(in reply to Elessar2)
Post #: 7
RE: Largest Map Size Possible Using The In Game Editor? - 10/27/2021 7:15:08 PM   
Elessar2

I'm going to have to check this out.

Imagine a world map with a 20 km or even 10 mi scale... Tho maybe 1 out of 10 Matrix gamers would have a rig with enough oomph to actually run the thing.

Post #: 8
RE: Largest Map Size Possible Using The In Game Editor? - 10/27/2021 8:58:42 PM   
Elessar2

Yep, you apparently do NOT need to make the map size in the editor to match.

Oh, man, the tools are now available to make the most monsterist of monster wargames. Hundreds of divisions, ships, and such all scurrying around the map. Made a world map of 1000 x 400 (based on a PNG map that I had already been toying with). To get a 10 mi scale likely would need to be 2500 x 1000 or so.

Would like to hear from TPTB. Will this break anything within the executables? Will it eat up too much memory, RAM or video? Can the AI handle it?

(in reply to Elessar2)
Post #: 9
RE: Largest Map Size Possible Using The In Game Editor? - 10/28/2021 1:50:24 AM   
Elessar2

Welp, my system couldn't handle an attempt at 2500 x 1000, but 1250 x 600 [20 mile scale] worked just fine. Now, if I could just find a source map which is that big; I'll have to spring for a map projection program, since the best projection for the game's needs would be the Equal Earth one:

But I need the software because every single map I can find is centered on the prime meridian. [Americas need to be on the edges]

(in reply to Elessar2)
Post #: 10
RE: Largest Map Size Possible Using The In Game Editor? - 10/28/2021 5:01:08 AM   
seydlitz22513

Google World Map search gives a lot of maps to choose from.

https://www.google.com/search?q=world+maps&rlz=1C1VDKB_en-GBGB937GB937&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=2ahUKEwj4ureFqezzAhUIEhQKHfC6B0UQ_AUoAXoECAEQAw&biw=1920&bih=937&dpr=1

(in reply to Elessar2)
Post #: 11
RE: Largest Map Size Possible Using The In Game Editor? - 10/28/2021 5:12:38 AM   
seydlitz22513

I'm guessing here but I think the game designers use smaller maps as they don't take near as long to work on as a huge map would, plus I'm pretty sure having a great many more units of Division size on the map at one time would slow the processing time for the AI, and programming the AI would take a lot of work, but given the time and the patience a modder should be able to create whatever he or she wants.

Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command: World War I >> MODS and Scenarios >> Largest Map Size Possible Using The In Game Editor? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI