Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Diplomacy with major while "at war until death"

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Diplomacy with major while "at war until death" Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Diplomacy with major while "at war until death" - 6/7/2020 8:07:25 PM   
Kamelpov

When it require 35 relation to peace out is weird even eu4 warscore work better in my opinion.
As AI now won't gift money so peace by increasing relation is a bit more harder + it look stupid to use only the gift system.
It should have more way to increase relation and also to get a third party at war like three kingdom total war if we wanted a fleshed diplomacy system with autobalance deal but you can delay that part as the war system isn't complete.
Post #: 1
RE: Diplomacy with major while "at war until death... - 6/7/2020 8:10:59 PM   
Bleek

I know what you're saying.

I have no idea how to peace out because I need a 'positive' 35 relationship... but, we're at war?

Perhaps we've misunderstood something.

(in reply to Kamelpov)
Post #: 2
RE: Diplomacy with major while "at war until death... - 6/7/2020 9:08:18 PM   
Kamelpov

Well in order to get a truce you know ? If you are at war with 2 major the only choice you get is to send gift to AI and fund their war economy...

(in reply to Bleek)
Post #: 3
RE: Diplomacy with major while "at war until death... - 6/7/2020 9:53:54 PM   
Cornuthaum

I kept looking through my Foreign Office options for some diplomacy stratagems to use to end a war but apparently once you'Re at war with a major you're at war with them literally forever because there's no peace stratagems?

(in reply to Kamelpov)
Post #: 4
RE: Diplomacy with major while "at war until death... - 6/7/2020 10:04:18 PM   
t1it

This is a big oversight. I hope it gets dealt with ASAP.

(in reply to Cornuthaum)
Post #: 5
RE: Diplomacy with major while "at war until death... - 6/8/2020 12:20:46 AM   
budd

I've seen propose peace offerings for both minor and major factions. I've only used the minor, and it didn't work, I rolled an 84 and needed above a 950 for the peace offerings to work. Think you need the right council to get them, but there in there.

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

(in reply to t1it)
Post #: 6
RE: Diplomacy with major while "at war until death... - 6/8/2020 9:42:40 AM   
Bleek

quote:

ORIGINAL: budd

I've seen propose peace offerings for both minor and major factions. I've only used the minor, and it didn't work, I rolled an 84 and needed above a 950 for the peace offerings to work. Think you need the right council to get them, but there in there.

Yep, even if you're smashing your opponent in to the dirt - the skill roles still remain impossibly high!

It forces you to remain at war indefinitely, which isn't ...fun? I want time to rebuild and recoup, deploy a bite more strategy and planning - not just steamroll the planet!

(in reply to budd)
Post #: 7
RE: Diplomacy with major while "at war until death... - 6/8/2020 11:29:01 AM   
KingHalford

I'm pretty sure that if you force your opponent into a corner their relation with you rises and you can get the peace deal. Nobody is going to give up on a war they're not losing though.

This is for the best. 4X games are notorious for the players being able to force peace way too easily when they're struggling, powering up a bit and then crushing the AI at a more convenient moment. The best ones have systems that only accept peace when a human would.

< Message edited by KingHalford -- 6/8/2020 11:30:11 AM >

Ben "BATTLEMODE"
www.eXplorminate.co

(in reply to Bleek)
Post #: 8
RE: Diplomacy with major while "at war until death... - 6/8/2020 11:53:19 AM   
budd

Been at war with a minor slaver regime for most of the game since they jumped me early. Sent them some free money 400 credits, failed the roll, they kept the money and sent back the head of my envoy...yikes....guess ill have to crush them

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

(in reply to KingHalford)
Post #: 9
RE: Diplomacy with major while "at war until death... - 6/8/2020 12:04:03 PM   
KingHalford

Ah, I was talking about the Majors... I think there's some work being done to Minor diplomatic actions, but I agree that you should have the option to force them to go to peace. Honestly, if you've been at war with them and they're beaten badly enough to surrender I'm not quite sure why you'd want to but it's a big game and I guess anything is possible!

Ben "BATTLEMODE"
www.eXplorminate.co

(in reply to budd)
Post #: 10
RE: Diplomacy with major while "at war until death... - 6/8/2020 12:15:55 PM   
Bleek

quote:

ORIGINAL: KingHalford

I'm pretty sure that if you force your opponent into a corner their relation with you rises and you can get the peace deal. Nobody is going to give up on a war they're not losing though.

This is for the best. 4X games are notorious for the players being able to force peace way too easily when they're struggling, powering up a bit and then crushing the AI at a more convenient moment. The best ones have systems that only accept peace when a human would.

Fair comment.

I'll have to play longer to see how resilient the AI is, thus far it seems suicidal.

(in reply to KingHalford)
Post #: 11
RE: Diplomacy with major while "at war until death... - 6/8/2020 1:06:05 PM   
springel

In my current game I get loads of 'Plea of Friendship' cards, improves relationship by a random number, cost 5 PP, easy 30 difficulty, and I improved my relationship with a major power at war up to 90, with two more cards to spare.

(in reply to Bleek)
Post #: 12
RE: Diplomacy with major while "at war until death... - 6/8/2020 1:15:12 PM   
ZygfrydDeLowe

quote:

ORIGINAL: springel

In my current game I get loads of 'Plea of Friendship' cards, improves relationship by a random number, cost 5 PP, easy 30 difficulty, and I improved my relationship with a major power at war up to 90, with two more cards to spare.

You cannot use "Plea of Friendship" on a faction you are at war with, and that's the situation OP is referring to.
Once at war, you seem to be stuck at war.I need to play more to see if beaten AI will really increase it's relations and peace will be finally available.

But KingHalford has a fair point. That way it's not easily exploitable with false peace offerings. In many games you can just dump cash on improving relations and basically buy the treaty you want.

(in reply to springel)
Post #: 13
RE: Diplomacy with major while "at war until death... - 6/8/2020 1:34:31 PM   
Cornuthaum

Managed to make peace with a major, at the low low cost of having to spam them with Gift Credits cards for several turns before *finally* getting a Propose Peace card to come out of my foreign office.

This ain't right. If it's working as intended, I will go on record saying i disagree with the intent, if it's *not* working as intended it needs fixing. I shouldn't have to throw credits at the people I'm fighting in order to generate at least a truce, especially not when I'm overwhelmingly winning.

(in reply to ZygfrydDeLowe)
Post #: 14
RE: Diplomacy with major while "at war until death... - 6/8/2020 2:04:41 PM   
Bleek

quote:

ORIGINAL: ZygfrydDeLowe
In many games you can just dump cash on improving relations and basically buy the treaty you want.

Which unfortunately seems like the only solution in this game!

(in reply to ZygfrydDeLowe)
Post #: 15
RE: Diplomacy with major while "at war until death... - 6/8/2020 2:05:29 PM   
W8taminute

I've also noticed that you cannot peace out with a major, even if you are winning the war, unless you have relations set at 35. Since there does not appear to be a way to raise relations other than showering the major with a lot of money I think this is not fun. If the player is clearly winning the war by taking ground and killing a lot of the major's units then the major should be the one asking the player for mercy.

This is a great game and I love it but to be constantly at war and under constant pressure to build military forces to ensure you are still alive to maybe build a candy store or two in one of you towns does not make for much fun. There is no time to build up your economy in peace. One thing that is certain however is that the player quickly learns how to balance building for war vs. building for economy while under constant pressure of war. I have learned a lot in this way and it's all due to literally someone holding a gun to my head.

(in reply to Cornuthaum)
Post #: 16
RE: Diplomacy with major while "at war until death... - 6/8/2020 2:05:33 PM   
Bleek

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cornuthaum

Managed to make peace with a major, at the low low cost of having to spam them with Gift Credits cards for several turns before *finally* getting a Propose Peace card to come out of my foreign office.

This ain't right. If it's working as intended, I will go on record saying i disagree with the intent, if it's *not* working as intended it needs fixing. I shouldn't have to throw credits at the people I'm fighting in order to generate at least a truce, especially not when I'm overwhelmingly winning.

Yep, if that's correct and the only method - it's worst than rubbish. In fact it's a big step backwards for gameplay.

Let's hope we're doing something wrong!

(in reply to Cornuthaum)
Post #: 17
RE: Diplomacy with major while "at war until death... - 6/8/2020 2:38:04 PM   
Vic

I am paying attention. Going to take a second look at this.

Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics

(in reply to Bleek)
Post #: 18
RE: Diplomacy with major while "at war until death... - 6/8/2020 2:54:20 PM   
Bleek

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vic

We don't want it to be made easy, however gaming the system by paying off the enemy seems really gamey.

Perhaps the enemy leader traits could sway the 'war score' i.e. if they're heroic they're more likely to fight to the death, or close to, etc.

Therefore, each AI's war behaviour is biased a certain way. Some will be happier to peace out than others.

For example certain traits should essentially ignore bribes (sending cash to raise relations), whereas others are more inclined to bend because of bribes.

The list goes on and on, of course.

Using a leader's traits to determine their behaviour like this would make for various war styles, keeping the player on their toes and second guessing.

This would also work for how biased an AI is to starting wars too, or how they approach warmongering.

I also appreciate this isn't a quick fix and is just my opinion.

(in reply to Vic)
Post #: 19
RE: Diplomacy with major while "at war until death... - 6/8/2020 3:01:57 PM   
Cornuthaum

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vic

Could you please up the likelihood of a Propose Peace card being generated? It is such a basic diplomatic tool that having to wait multiple turns (it took me from turn 48 to turn 63 in this game) for this one card to show up is just intensely frustrating.

(in reply to Vic)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Diplomacy with major while "at war until death" Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI