Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Rename "Guided RPG" to ATGM

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Suggestions and Feedback >> Rename "Guided RPG" to ATGM Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Rename "Guided RPG" to ATGM - 6/22/2020 7:37:17 PM   
JamesHunt

Sounds better
Post #: 1
RE: Rename "Guided RPG" to ATGM - 6/22/2020 11:22:36 PM   
GodwinW

I would have no idea what a ATGM is, while a Guided RPG is instantly clear to me.

(in reply to JamesHunt)
Post #: 2
RE: Rename "Guided RPG" to ATGM - 6/22/2020 11:33:05 PM   
wodin

With no air units then Air to ground missile makes no sense. Guided RPG is best.

(in reply to GodwinW)
Post #: 3
RE: Rename "Guided RPG" to ATGM - 6/22/2020 11:57:01 PM   
MatthewVilter

ATGM is standard nomenclature for anti-tank guided missile. They can be carried by infantry weapon teams or mounted on vehicles. They are a 1950's technology that has been refined and used ever since.

Honestly the idea of deploying companies of infantry specially equipped with "RPGs" is goofy and just makes me think of Advance Wars. RPGs are standard issue for cold war and modern infantry so that they can threaten armor at approximately assault rifle range. ATGMs are specialty weapons that have the potential to engage armor at or beyond main battle tank cannon range. At this sort of post-apocalyptic-operational-level it makes much more sense to manage the strategic deployment of ATGMs than RPGs.

I think it would be fun if assault rifles, light machine guns, designated marksman rifles, RPGs, grenade launchers, etc. could all be developed and integrated into infantry models but it doesn't make sense to field a formation of "RPG infantry". On the other hand I do think it is fun to see heavier weapons like HMGs in OOBs which I think of as representing organic support. Maybe we could get ATGMs and mortars (and maybe some others idk) represented that same way?

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 4
RE: Rename "Guided RPG" to ATGM - 6/23/2020 1:43:57 PM   
zgrssd

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

With no air units then Air to ground missile makes no sense. Guided RPG is best.

Usually words like "to" or "of" are omited in English Abreviations.
What you wrote would be a AGM or ASM.

Wikipedia lists it as:
"anti-tank guided missile (ATGM), anti-tank missile, anti-tank guided weapon (ATGW) or anti-armor guided weapon"

It would not be the worst term. As it refers to anythng from a small, man portable launcher to the stuff you mount on aircraft or ground vehicles (IFV particulary).
But the renaming would require the scope to expand accordingly. So it is quite a bit more then just a renaming thing.

< Message edited by zgrssd -- 6/23/2020 1:45:03 PM >

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Suggestions and Feedback >> Rename "Guided RPG" to ATGM Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI