Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Link starting factions to initial regime profile choices

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Suggestions and Feedback >> Link starting factions to initial regime profile choices Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Link starting factions to initial regime profile choices - 6/22/2020 11:59:24 PM   
LordAldrich

During new game creation, players make three choices to set the initial regime profile. These choices are not reflected in the generation of the initial political factions, which seem to be totally random.

This frequently results in situations where (e.g.) a "Democratic, Commerce, Heart" regime has only an Autocracy+++ party and an Enforcement+++ party. This *strongly* encourages the player to abandon their original regime concept and adapt to the factions.

To some extent adapting to sub-optimal situations is the game "working as designed", however it makes no sense to negate the player's initial choices in this way. Personally, I often restart the game using the world generation file until I get at least one faction that supports the way I'd like to play (which is exceedingly tedious).

It would make much more sense if one of the initial factions was heavily weighted to match (or at least support) the regime profile. That would allow for conflicts with an opposition party without completely weighting the game away from the player choices.
Post #: 1
RE: Link starting factions to initial regime profile ch... - 6/23/2020 12:15:16 AM   
MatthewVilter

quote:

It would make much more sense if one of the initial factions was heavily weighted to match (or at least support) the regime profile. That would allow for conflicts with an opposition party without completely weighting the game away from the player choices.

Agreed.

A more complex solution would be to throw a few more randomized questions on at the end of the initial regime profile history lesson. Stuff like "An opposition faction favoring Enforcement was on the rise! What did we do about it?" and "Some in our Democratic faction wanted to also focus on Mind. Did the faction shift its focus?"

(in reply to LordAldrich)
Post #: 2
RE: Link starting factions to initial regime profile ch... - 6/23/2020 1:27:58 PM   
zgrssd

I usually had 1-2 matching profile areas for any party. Usually I pick one as my "primary party", based on having more likes then dislikes with my aimed-for profile. I accept their leaders, etc.
The other ones I do not select leaders from, and try to get rid of any leaders - if the get no leader,the party vanishes.

I democracies, your profile seems to dictate vote shares.
I Autocracies, it is who you let into/keep in your Cabinet.
There is this one guy from a starting faction I really want to get rid of. But he is in the SCC, so I need a good replacement to sstill get enough PP.

If they just matched your seleciton, it would be too easy to keep them happy. Not a engaging mechanic at all.

< Message edited by zgrssd -- 6/23/2020 1:28:34 PM >

(in reply to MatthewVilter)
Post #: 3
RE: Link starting factions to initial regime profile ch... - 6/23/2020 1:45:56 PM   
Ekaton

We REALLY need this.

I need ten females for each male...

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 4
RE: Link starting factions to initial regime profile ch... - 6/23/2020 5:26:22 PM   
LordAldrich

quote:

ORIGINAL: zgrssd

I usually had 1-2 matching profile areas for any party...

While I agree with the rest of your post, this sentence is exactly what I'm talking about. We've had different experiences here: I very frequently do NOT have any matching profiles. I'm just saying that one of the two parties should weighted (maybe even gaurenteed) to have some of your profile in it.

If this is contraversial, it's a good candidate for a checkbox option during game creation.

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Suggestions and Feedback >> Link starting factions to initial regime profile choices Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI