Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Is this Correct?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> Is this Correct? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Is this Correct? - 7/17/2020 5:14:07 AM   
surfcandy

I just purchased War in the Pacific - Admiral's Edition and installed the Unofficial Public Beta - 1126b and then WinExplorer, then SeaBee Alpha.

Looks good 2560 x1440. Is this where I need to be with this game or is there something else?
Post #: 1
RE: Is this Correct? - 7/17/2020 5:42:03 AM   
Alfred

Switches allow for different resolutions. Plenty of threads on the subject and "SeaBee Alpha" simplifies much of the relevant work.

If the question isn't about resolution, then you need to specify what is the issue. Plenty of guides available on the forum.

Alfred

(in reply to surfcandy)
Post #: 2
RE: Is this Correct? - 7/17/2020 6:42:26 AM   
surfcandy

To begin with out of the box this game is unplayable on Windows 10. That being said what is required to keep the game as is not altering any original gameplay mechanics and allowing it to be played full screen 2560x1440 is my question.

Like I said in the OP did I install the things to do this?

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 3
RE: Is this Correct? - 7/17/2020 3:33:32 PM   
Admiral DadMan

The mechanics are the mechanics. All you're talking about is display, which doesn't affect the mechanics of the game.

Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

(in reply to surfcandy)
Post #: 4
RE: Is this Correct? - 7/17/2020 4:02:21 PM   
surfcandy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Admiral DadMan

The mechanics are the mechanics. All you're talking about is display, which doesn't affect the mechanics of the game.

So then If I understand what you are saying then this Unofficial Public Beta - 1126b does not alter the game files in ANY way except for display resolution.

(in reply to Admiral DadMan)
Post #: 5
RE: Is this Correct? - 7/17/2020 4:28:55 PM   
Yaab

"What we have here is..."

(in reply to surfcandy)
Post #: 6
RE: Is this Correct? - 7/17/2020 5:59:54 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: surfcandy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Admiral DadMan

So then If I understand what you are saying then this Unofficial Public Beta - 1126b does not alter the game files in ANY way except for display resolution.

Have you started the game and tried to play?
If so, have you had a problem?
What are the symptoms of that problem? No one can venture a diagnosis or suggestions to fix a problem before you describe it adequately.

If you are just asking "Can I start the game now after setting my resolution in Seabee Alpha", the answer is "Yes, but you will likely have problems with slow performance if you do not set other switches to help your system run the game."

As Alfred said, there is good advice about switches in this Tech Forum in the stickied area. Read until you understand, then set what you think you need and try it out. Repeat until you get what works for you.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to surfcandy)
Post #: 7
RE: Is this Correct? - 7/17/2020 6:08:18 PM   
surfcandy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Korvar

I think 1.26a is technically "unofficial" as well - or at least it began that way. I'm not sure why 1.26a is made available via the Matrix member's page but 1.26b is not.

As you said, there is only the amphib port unloading fix in 1.26b (vs. 1.26a). It's up to you whether you want to use it or not - you're benefiting from the bulk of the "unofficial" fixes by using 1.26a.

The brief version of the reason why there are "official" and "unofficial" versions is that the "official" changes stopped once the Admiral's Edition dev group (i.e. Henderson Field Designs) disbanded. AE is itself an official "mod" of War in the Pacific which was originally developed by 2x3 Games - it's why both groups appear on the intro video. Henderson went through the process of obtaining permission and access to do the development work for Admiral's Edition. When AE was released and Henderson later disbanded, a member of the group, Michael, generously continued to patch the game on his own time. His work became the "unofficial" patches. Eventually he had to move on to other projects, and no one who has access to source code is currently working on the game. Now with three groups of stakeholders (including the publisher, Matrix) needing to sign off on a new dev project, any further development is not likely.

quote:

ORIGINAL: BillBrown

Version 1126a is a comprehensive update, it has all the patches included from the original release.

Version 1126b is only an .exe update, no data files are updated.

So this seems to be "the answer" concerning the Beta Patch.

What is meant by 1126b is only a .exe update?

Thanks, though I didn't pay full price for WITP AE I was a bit taken back by Matrix asking $79. for a game that doesn't work out of the box and requires mods just to get it to work. Don't get me wrong I really like the game only very rarely if ever experienced a game just bought that never no way being able to be played right out of the box for the price.

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 8
RE: Is this Correct? - 7/17/2020 6:35:26 PM   
Voltreffer

Surfcandy,

My understanding of the topic -

An .exe update/patch just updates the game's executable file itself, whereas a 'full/comprehensive' patch updates various supporting data files beyond the main .exe file.

In the SeaBee app, there is a 'Performance' section which has options for all of the relevant performance related switches. If you hover your mouse over the options, it will also briefly explain what each does. By using the app, you also don't have to worry about mistyping something, which was a potential problem doing it manually.

For me, the switches that got the game working well in Windows 10 are:
1) SingleCpuOrders
2) pick a 'cpu' option other than #1; #3 or #4 works nicely
3) deepColor
4) dd_sw
5) WINDOWED mode for display mode.

Use the above as a starting point, then experiment if necessary by turning each on/off one at time. Once the game is confirmed running well, optionally do:
6) Following the guide HERE to optimize the resolution and positioning of the game window.

(in reply to surfcandy)
Post #: 9
RE: Is this Correct? - 7/18/2020 12:16:16 AM   
surfcandy

Just wondering are most people playing with Version 1126b or just Version 1126a?

(in reply to Voltreffer)
Post #: 10
RE: Is this Correct? - 7/18/2020 1:26:14 AM   
Kull

quote:

Just wondering are most people playing with Version 1126b or just Version 1126a?

There's almost no difference between the two (it will probably take you human YEARS of game play before you notice the single fix that's present in 1126b). The important thing for somebody just starting out is that each executable is located in a DIFFERENT folder. "a" is in the game's root directory. "b" is in a subfolder called "Beta2". So if your shortcut is pointing toward the wrong folder, yes, the game won't even start.

(in reply to surfcandy)
Post #: 11
RE: Is this Correct? - 7/18/2020 4:03:02 AM   
Ian R

Surfcandy, I'll give you the TLDR version - You said you have applied the 1.26b beta patch.

Go to the WITPAE shortcut on your desktop - the one for the beta patch exe. Right click and look at properties. On a standard install, the path should be "C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\Beta2\War....

Then paste the below line including switches over the target line, and then make sure the dashes are all the short version dash (not big hyphens).

quote:

"C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\Beta2\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -wd -skipVideo -deepColor -dd_sw -cpu2 -pxf1920-pyf1080 -archive -altFont -autosave

I would be surprised if the game doesn't run faster than a gypsy with a mortgage with that switch set.

Note - the forced window size switches in the above line are set to work with a 16:9 aspect ratio monitor, which your 2560 x1440 screen appears to be. Playing around with forced windows sizes is a subtopic you can avoid for now, but the game has a default maximum display size unless the forcing switch is used.

< Message edited by Ian R -- 7/18/2020 4:05:14 AM >

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 12
RE: Is this Correct? - 7/18/2020 6:35:57 AM   
surfcandy

Thanks for all the help. I finally got to where I wanted using SeaBee and winexp (Ian R I think SeaBee does the same thing that you added to the patch exe. properties). I ended up setting the 1126b beta to 2560x1440 and my 1126a to 1920x1080 both in full screen modes for when my eyes are tired. Everything works as it should and the mouse is precise and fast.

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 13
RE: Is this Correct? - 7/18/2020 8:08:58 AM   
Ian R

quote:

Thanks for all the help. I finally got to where I wanted using SeaBee and winexp (Ian R I think SeaBee does the same thing that you added to the patch exe. properties). I ended up setting the 1126b beta to 2560x1440 and my 1126a to 1920x1080 both in full screen modes for when my eyes are tired. Everything works as it should and the mouse is precise and fast.

"Thrusters on full."

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to surfcandy)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> Is this Correct? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI