Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Advice for speeding up my turns.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Advice for speeding up my turns. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Advice for speeding up my turns. - 8/7/2020 12:54:44 AM   
HansLemurson

I love this game, but it is unfortunately taking me a really long time to play! And I'm not talking about the AI turn processing. The problem here is me.

I've had turns where I spend nearly an hour planning out my moves, but I don't feel like I've been using my time efficiently, and I'm worried about what might happen if I try to fight on a large world. I'd like to complete my current campaign in a timely manner, so I was wondering if you folks had any advice.

How long does a turn usually take for you guys, and what methods/plans/techniques do you use to make sure that you don't miss anything important while still finishing within a reasonable amount of time?
Post #: 1
RE: Advice for speeding up my turns. - 8/7/2020 1:17:52 AM   
Jdane

You're probably still learning the game. It is complicated, and it takes time to somehow figure out each of the mechanics and systems involved. But eventually, you'll go faster.

Once you've figured out a mechanic, you will find the issue and solve it faster when there is one. Maybe create a new game in which you do not worry about playing perfectly but fly by the seat of your pants to see what issues arise, to try and figure them out and solve them. Or focus on a specific topic you feel you have trouble with, whether it is logistics, model design, or leader management. The fun is not to win, but to learn the game.

My first turn lasted an hour because I was learning the user interface with chapter 3 of the manual open. Subsequent ones were quicker because I already knew at least where to look for some information I felt I needed. Last time I played, I could check all I felt I needed and give orders to the troops in a matter of minutes - granted, I played mostly small planets, occasionally normal ones, and I was knowing what reports to look at in which corners of the user interface.

You can search the forum for discussions on check lists and get some ideas from there.

There's a wealth of detail, but not all is that important to win the game. Try a speed run. Even if you fail, you will learn. At least what you really need to know and make sure of before pushing end turn.

< Message edited by Jdane -- 8/7/2020 1:20:59 AM >

(in reply to HansLemurson)
Post #: 2
RE: Advice for speeding up my turns. - 8/7/2020 3:58:39 AM   
HansLemurson

Oh, I've been reading a lot and asking questions that arise to help me get through dilemmas. I am actually trying to "wing it" this game and not play perfectly, but it's hard for me not to be a perfectionist.

The trouble is I think I approach my turns in a disorganized way, and end up checking and re-checking things that I've already checked before, and so I'm never really sure if I'm ready to end the turn or not. This has been a problem that's plagued me in other strategy games too, not knowing when I'm "done", but there's just so much to think about in this game. In Civilization at least it automatically selects a unit to move next that you haven't moved before. Civ6 actually went a bit overboard on this and wouldn't let you end your turn so long as there were unresolved choices.

(in reply to Jdane)
Post #: 3
RE: Advice for speeding up my turns. - 8/7/2020 4:20:10 AM   
Twotribes

The best way to speed up your turns is to develop a plan that you follow ever turn. Get a pattern of how you do the turn and when you get it right keep doing that.

Post #: 4
RE: Advice for speeding up my turns. - 8/10/2020 8:51:30 PM   
zgrssd

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansLemurson

I love this game, but it is unfortunately taking me a really long time to play! And I'm not talking about the AI turn processing. The problem here is me.

I've had turns where I spend nearly an hour planning out my moves, but I don't feel like I've been using my time efficiently, and I'm worried about what might happen if I try to fight on a large world. I'd like to complete my current campaign in a timely manner, so I was wondering if you folks had any advice.

How long does a turn usually take for you guys, and what methods/plans/techniques do you use to make sure that you don't miss anything important while still finishing within a reasonable amount of time?

I am trying to keep the order:
- History and Vid Screen
- Decisions
- Troop movement
- building projects

Stratagem playing can be mixed all over the place

There are exceptions to that pattern of course. Like moving units into a city before I hit "send in the troops". But overall it holds.

Decisions (like the "Explorers found location" one) can change how I want to move my troops. So I try to do most of them first.

Post #: 5
RE: Advice for speeding up my turns. - 8/10/2020 9:18:09 PM   
HansLemurson

I've been trying to focus on tackling my 4 different fronts one to be sure I've made all the moves that need to be made in a sector. Once I've done that, I move to the next front in a clockwise fashion. This has made it a lot easier to be "sure" that I haven't forgotten anything.

I do get distracted sometimes when moving my Tanks reminds me of the need to improve my logistics, which means I need to figure out why the Transport Hub has only partial workers, because the Governor can't recruit workers fast enough, but some can be freed up by delegating an Agri-dome to my Capital Zone, which is now suffering from Administrative Strain...Oh look, I have a bunch of outdated units in my SHQ, how should I make use of them?

Wait...did I finish the encirclement yet against the Mutants?

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 6
RE: Advice for speeding up my turns. - 8/10/2020 9:28:38 PM   
zgrssd

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansLemurson

I've been trying to focus on tackling my 4 different fronts one to be sure I've made all the moves that need to be made in a sector. Once I've done that, I move to the next front in a clockwise fashion. This has made it a lot easier to be "sure" that I haven't forgotten anything.

I do get distracted sometimes when moving my Tanks reminds me of the need to improve my logistics, which means I need to figure out why the Transport Hub has only partial workers, because the Governor can't recruit workers fast enough, but some can be freed up by delegating an Agri-dome to my Capital Zone, which is now suffering from Administrative Strain...Oh look, I have a bunch of outdated units in my SHQ, how should I make use of them?

Wait...did I finish the encirclement yet against the Mutants?

8+9 can be used to go through units with any move left. 0 puts units on guard mode, so it is skipped (usefull for SHQ's).

Post #: 7
RE: Advice for speeding up my turns. - 8/11/2020 3:38:41 AM   
coldiceEVO

You will get better overtime.
look up the hotkeys on the manuals, keep it open. for me, construction, move, road, and various display option, and hotkeys are usually faster than me doing hand eye coordination to click the button on the screen. There are also keys for various tabs so you can make a quick change from stratagem to decision or vice versa. Discover where all the frequently used informations are in the report tab, zone. Take your time to discover. If you feel hesitant about some move just save scum, take your chance, and see what you can get away with.
The more you play the faster and further you can plan.

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Advice for speeding up my turns. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI