Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Any plans for Steam? GoG?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Any plans for Steam? GoG? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Any plans for Steam? GoG? - 8/26/2020 5:53:46 PM   
purake

Hi,

Do you guys have any plans for making this available on any of the above platforms? I have tried to search for it but I can't seem to find it anywhere!
Post #: 1
RE: Any plans for Steam? GoG? - 8/26/2020 5:56:43 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: purake

Hi,

Do you guys have any plans for making this available on any of the above platforms? I have tried to search for it but I can't seem to find it anywhere!

Matrix games is a distributor - a competitor to Steam, etc. No chance they will give up as long as the game is attracting new players. It still is - pretty good for a game over 10 years old.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to purake)
Post #: 2
RE: Any plans for Steam? GoG? - 8/26/2020 6:02:25 PM   
purake

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

Hi,

Matrix games is a distributor - a competitor to Steam, etc. No chance they will give up as long as the game is attracting new players. It still is - pretty good for a game over 10 years old.

It looks interesting. Coming from someone who loved HOI3:BICE and loathed HOI4, I was lucky to discover WiTE and WiTW and I bought WiTW on steam. I'm really enjoying it so far. Then a while back, I also discovered this and while I would love to try it, I'm not really comfortable paying for something that might get corrupted and leave me SOL.

Why are these other games available on steam and not this one in particular? I find it very puzzling.

< Message edited by purake -- 8/26/2020 6:03:38 PM >

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 3
RE: Any plans for Steam? GoG? - 8/26/2020 6:42:08 PM   
RangerJoe

This is better than Steam.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to purake)
Post #: 4
RE: Any plans for Steam? GoG? - 8/26/2020 7:47:42 PM   

Well it would be for me if I could somehow get rid of the pixelated boxes when I hover the mouse over a base or a task force or whatever
and the screen does its weird flash it is driving me crazy.Any ideas?

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 5
RE: Any plans for Steam? GoG? - 8/26/2020 7:50:16 PM   
Cheesesteak

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

Matrix wins on a lot of fronts (pun intended), but I find the Steam ecosystem subjectively easier to use.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 6
RE: Any plans for Steam? GoG? - 8/26/2020 8:19:46 PM   
purake

quote:

I wouldn't know since I have never used it. Does the matrix store give me the ability to download my game anytime I want to or is it a one time thing at the time of purchase?

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 7
RE: Any plans for Steam? GoG? - 8/26/2020 8:25:07 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

quote:

I wouldn't know since I have never used it. Does the matrix store give me the ability to download my game anytime I want to or is it a one time thing at the time of purchase?

Pay for it once. Download anytime as far as I know. But you would have to ask customer service about that. But I have downloaded several times.

― Julia Child

(in reply to purake)
Post #: 8
RE: Any plans for Steam? GoG? - 8/26/2020 9:00:59 PM   
mind_messing

quote:

Hi,

I don't think you'll find it anywhere other than on Matrix.

Unsure about future plans, as I know other Matrix (or at least Slitherine) titles are on Steam. Shadow Empires and War in the West are both there.

quote:

Not sure what could possibly make you think that, given that the Steam environment is about twenty years ahead of the Matrix system...

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 9
RE: Any plans for Steam? GoG? - 8/26/2020 9:25:08 PM   
Lowpe

War in the East is on Steam.

(in reply to mind_messing)
Post #: 10
RE: Any plans for Steam? GoG? - 8/26/2020 9:28:38 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

Not sure what could possibly make you think that, given that the Steam environment is about twenty years ahead of the Matrix system...

Simple, I can't update steam. If I can't update it, I can't use it. The update always craps out on me.

Steam can also shut down so no more games from them.

― Julia Child

(in reply to mind_messing)
Post #: 11
RE: Any plans for Steam? GoG? - 8/26/2020 9:40:50 PM   
mind_messing

quote:

quote:

Simple, I can't update steam. If I can't update it, I can't use it. The update always craps out on me.

In which case, the problem isn't Steam, it's you

As for Steam shutting down, more chance of Matrix closing down that Steam.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 12
RE: Any plans for Steam? GoG? - 8/27/2020 5:50:41 AM   
Chris21wen

quote:

Much, much better. I avoid Steam if at all possible. It's just another layer of useless software.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 13
RE: Any plans for Steam? GoG? - 8/27/2020 8:40:24 AM   
purake

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chris21wen

quote:

Much, much better. I avoid Steam if at all possible. It's just another layer of useless software.

I find steam amazing. I don't need to worry about storage for my games, I install them and play as needed (1 click install). I never have to worry about my hard drive getting corrupted and losing all my data (cloud save). Updates through steam are seamless (auto-update). In short, it's a great piece of software.

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 14
RE: Any plans for Steam? GoG? - 8/27/2020 8:42:46 AM   
purake

One more question, any chance for a sale on Admiral's edition anytime soon?

(in reply to purake)
Post #: 15
RE: Any plans for Steam? GoG? - 8/27/2020 8:48:24 AM   
Ian R

quote:

quote:

quote:

What is steam? Some sort of cloud thing you can't access in offline mode?

< Message edited by Ian R -- 8/27/2020 8:49:47 AM >

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 16
RE: Any plans for Steam? GoG? - 8/27/2020 9:43:40 AM   
Rising-Sun

quote:

quote:

quote:

Hi,

It looks interesting. Coming from someone who loved HOI3:BICE and loathed HOI4, I was lucky to discover WiTE and WiTW and I bought WiTW on steam. I'm really enjoying it so far. Then a while back, I also discovered this and while I would love to try it, I'm not really comfortable paying for something that might get corrupted and leave me SOL.

Why are these other games available on steam and not this one in particular? I find it very puzzling.

That BlackIce for HoI3 look pretty, but unrealistic OOBs and installations. I tried to contact them to correct their mistake, but they blew me off with hostile remarks on Paradox forum. Also HoI IV is garbage.

You should try Darkest Hour on steam or gog, pretty good and most fan says that probably the best HoI Series there is.

(in reply to purake)
Post #: 17
RE: Any plans for Steam? GoG? - 8/27/2020 11:24:43 AM   
Grollub

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian R

Steam is those white fluffy things that becomes visible when you press the 'K' key.

“Not mastering metaphores is like cooking pasta when the train is delayed"

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 18
RE: Any plans for Steam? GoG? - 8/27/2020 12:47:25 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grollub

quote:

Steam is those white fluffy things that becomes visible when you press the 'K' key.

Steam is a company that sells games online that you have to load from their site everytime that you want to play. Their program on your computer needs to update and apparently needs to do so frequently. Mine won't do the update. It crashes when it tries to do the update and says that I need to be online.

― Julia Child

(in reply to Grollub)
Post #: 19
RE: Any plans for Steam? GoG? - 8/27/2020 12:51:30 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Steam is a software distributor, mostly for older games that the big software distributors do not want to carry any more. The idea is that you sign up with the company and download the client software that goes with your membership. Then you buy the games you want online at very reasonable rates (depending on how dated or popular they are) and you can download them at any time. The games have usually been modified to remove the old anti-piracy measures so you don't have to look up keywords or put in a serial number to get the game working.

As mentioned, you can save your game turns in your account (the cloud) or on your own computer. If the old game you want runs on DOS (pre-Windows), you can download a free DOS client that runs under Windows and lets you play the DOS game. It's a great way to play your old favorites without having to get an old floppy drive to load it up!

PS: GOG (Good Old Games) is another company similar to Steam.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 20
RE: Any plans for Steam? GoG? - 8/27/2020 3:08:09 PM   
Ian R

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grollub

quote:

Steam is a company that sells games online that you have to load from their site everytime that you want to play. Their program on your computer needs to update and apparently needs to do so frequently. Mine won't do the update. It crashes when it tries to do the update and says that I need to be online.

Cheers Ranger.

I have no interest in that sort of thing.

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 21
RE: Any plans for Steam? GoG? - 8/27/2020 3:16:16 PM   
Ian R

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Steam is a software distributor, mostly for older games that the big software distributors do not want to carry any more. The idea is that you sign up with the company and download the client software that goes with your membership. Then you buy the games you want online at very reasonable rates (depending on how dated or popular they are) and you can download them at any time. The games have usually been modified to remove the old anti-piracy measures so you don't have to look up keywords or put in a serial number to get the game working.

As mentioned, you can save your game turns in your account (the cloud) or on your own computer. If the old game you want runs on DOS (pre-Windows), you can download a free DOS client that runs under Windows and lets you play the DOS game. It's a great way to play your old favorites without having to get an old floppy drive to load it up!

PS: GOG (Good Old Games) is another company similar to Steam.

Ok, I can set up config.sys files in dosbox that give me one-click run shorties with everything on board for that.

Not meaning to be disparaging, but it looks like they are monetising a dos shell that is available for free.

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 22
RE: Any plans for Steam? GoG? - 8/27/2020 3:26:28 PM   
alimentary

quote:

Not meaning to be disparaging, but it looks like they are monetising a dos shell that is available for free.

Although one can run, e.g. Darklands, from Steam without knowing a config.sys from a hole in the ground, that is far from their bread and butter. Very few of the titles I have on Steam run under dosbox.

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 23
RE: Any plans for Steam? GoG? - 8/27/2020 3:46:23 PM   
Ian R

So what is the service they provide?

I don't mind paying for value - if I know what it is.

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to alimentary)
Post #: 24
RE: Any plans for Steam? GoG? - 8/27/2020 4:01:51 PM   
alimentary

quote:

For me, convenience. Click to buy, click to install, click to run.

The saved games in the cloud and the resulting ability to run on one's choice of machine or to upgrade to a new machine without losing one's library are nice to have. Note that even though the saved games are synched to the cloud, they are still stored locally. Running off-line is normally not a problem.

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 25
RE: Any plans for Steam? GoG? - 8/27/2020 5:03:32 PM   
Rising-Sun

I do have some old games from GoG, been so long i havent played them in years. I cant remember them all, but my fav is Falcon 3.0 and the older one. Call to Power II, Alpha Cent. (Alien Crossfire) and even the old Diablo too.

Sadly i couldnt use mods for that Morrowind, so have to use Steam for that one.

Was hoping they restore Birthright, Gorgon Alliance. Love that game back then, even got the boardgame too, but no one to play with :(

(in reply to alimentary)
Post #: 26
RE: Any plans for Steam? GoG? - 8/27/2020 5:28:23 PM   
purake

quote:

I don't mind paying for value - if I know what it is.

It's as convenient as hell. All my games in one place. Want to play a game you bought in 2009 but have switch computers 3 times since then? No problem, just click to install and run it. I have played my steam games on PC and on Mac for a decade plus through 6 computer upgrades.

And the workshop is fantastic too. 1 click install of all mods published on the steam workshop, like someone else said, you just click and it works. 90% of the time, you don't need to troubleshoot anything at all.

And steam is far from a platform that only hosts old games, all the latest AAA titles are published there because if you don't, you are missing out on a very large part of the gamer market. Just ask EA who removed most of their titles from it and tried to push their own distribution service instead. (Spoiler: They came back a few years later.)

< Message edited by purake -- 8/27/2020 5:30:19 PM >

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 27
RE: Any plans for Steam? GoG? - 8/27/2020 5:33:51 PM   
purake

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rising-Sun

quote:

quote:

quote:

Hi,

That BlackIce for HoI3 look pretty, but unrealistic OOBs and installations. I tried to contact them to correct their mistake, but they blew me off with hostile remarks on Paradox forum. Also HoI IV is garbage.

You should try Darkest Hour on steam or gog, pretty good and most fan says that probably the best HoI Series there is.

How does it compare to War in the west or War in the pacific?

(in reply to Rising-Sun)
Post #: 28
RE: Any plans for Steam? GoG? - 8/28/2020 5:55:54 AM   
mattj78

I bought the game in march of matrix games got an email with the install details worked no problems first go took a couple of months for the boxed edition to arrive I'm in Australia took
a while because of all the covid restrictions I couldn't be happier with the experience and matrix do have specials from time to time I also use steam for what its worth

(in reply to purake)
Post #: 29
RE: Any plans for Steam? GoG? - 8/28/2020 4:27:23 PM   
USSAmerica

quote:

One more question, any chance for a sale on Admiral's edition anytime soon?

Most likely, the next sale will be the Christmas Sale starting right around the end of November.

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to purake)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Any plans for Steam? GoG? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI