Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Pregen Earth Map?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Pregen Earth Map? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Pregen Earth Map? - 5/25/2021 5:01:47 PM   
Tomn

Would it be possible to create a pregenerated map of Earth for Shadow Empire, cities appropriately located and named and all? There's not that many games that do a grand strategy treatment of a post-apocalyptic empire and the idea of ruling the wastelands from the shattered wreck of, say, Chicago while skirmishing with the Neo Maine Confederacy over the ruins of NYC would add a little extra frisson to the game.
Post #: 1
RE: Pregen Earth Map? - 5/25/2021 10:51:21 PM   
zgrssd

Not without side effects. Stratagems, Events, Models, Model Links - those and many more thing are currently stored in the savegame. Which includes the default scenario. And especially the planet creation savegame.

(in reply to Tomn)
Post #: 2
RE: Pregen Earth Map? - 5/26/2021 2:34:42 PM   
zgrssd

Anotehr Problem would be the lack of a Navy System.
Earth has at least 3 Seperated Landmasses. Even if you could connect to the other Continents via transport airplanes, I am 90% sure the game needs a road connecting to the SHQ to work.
And you can not exactly put roads on water.

< Message edited by zgrssd -- 5/26/2021 2:35:04 PM >

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 3
RE: Pregen Earth Map? - 5/26/2021 11:33:52 PM   
Tomn

Not really sure why you'd need to change the strategems or events or anything - the default stuff works fine for depicting a sci-fi post-apocalyptic Earth. And by the same token, there's no reason why you can't handwave that "the apocalypse boiled the oceans away" and just have the seas be notably lower in level, enough to allow most landmasses to connect with each other. All I'm really asking for is a chance to play out the aftermath of the Dissolution War on Terra itself - sure, specific events relating to Earth could be nice but that's a bonus compared to just having the same basic map (minus a lot of water) and the same basic cities and ruins placed where they should be.

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 4
RE: Pregen Earth Map? - 5/27/2021 12:03:58 AM   
DanieltheJew

He's saying that, even if someone did generate a perfect earth-like world, it would be impossible to share that planet in a way that doesn't preserve some of aspects generated after planet creation, such as the ones described above. It'd be possible to add it as a feature, but not currently possible with the current game version.

(in reply to Tomn)
Post #: 5
RE: Pregen Earth Map? - 5/27/2021 11:01:06 AM   
zgrssd

quote:

Not really sure why you'd need to change the strategems or events or anything - the default stuff works fine for depicting a sci-fi post-apocalyptic Earth.

You do not understand:
Stratagems are part of the savegame.
Including the Planet Generation Savegame.
Including the very Scenario File the Planet is generated from.

The single most common thing in the Patchnotes is: "*=requires a new savegame to take effect".
If the savegame/planet generation save was generated by a old version using a old Scenario File, it contains every last bug fixed since then.

quote:

And by the same token, there's no reason why you can't handwave that "the apocalypse boiled the oceans away" and just have the seas be notably lower in level, enough to allow most landmasses to connect with each other.

Good idea to just boil away the oceans. However it needs to be all Landmasses, not just most. I doubt single part of the game is designed to account for even a single hex of land that is not reachable by all other hexes of land.
The need to avoid seperated landmasses is a major limiter during planet generation.

(in reply to Tomn)
Post #: 6
RE: Pregen Earth Map? - 5/27/2021 2:46:59 PM   
BlueTemplar

quote:

"the apocalypse boiled the oceans away" and just have the seas be notably lower in level

Heh, Niourk, anyone ?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niourk

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 7
RE: Pregen Earth Map? - 5/27/2021 9:05:08 PM   
Tomn

quote:

ORIGINAL: DanieltheJew

He's saying that, even if someone did generate a perfect earth-like world, it would be impossible to share that planet in a way that doesn't preserve some of aspects generated after planet creation, such as the ones described above. It'd be possible to add it as a feature, but not currently possible with the current game version.

I mean...yes? I sure as heck wasn't thinking of some maniac repeatedly hitting the generate world option until they just so happened to miraculously recreate Earth and all its cities with the coding of an infinite number of monkeys and then pass the file on to everyone else. I was thinking of Vic adding it in as a game start option for those who'd like to play Shadow Empire on more familiar terrain, because that seems like it'd be fun. Like how Civilization commonly features "Real World Start" options during their own mapgen.

(in reply to DanieltheJew)
Post #: 8
RE: Pregen Earth Map? - 5/28/2021 2:41:33 PM   
zgrssd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tomn

quote:

ORIGINAL: DanieltheJew

I mean...yes? I sure as heck wasn't thinking of some maniac repeatedly hitting the generate world option until they just so happened to miraculously recreate Earth and all its cities with the coding of an infinite number of monkeys and then pass the file on to everyone else. I was thinking of Vic adding it in as a game start option for those who'd like to play Shadow Empire on more familiar terrain, because that seems like it'd be fun. Like how Civilization commonly features "Real World Start" options during their own mapgen.

Currently the only way to share planets is the Planet Generation Save. Which contains all that excess inforamtion.

The ability to only share the map (and nothing else) would be a major additional faeture. One that would require a relevant rework of the whole Savegame/Scenario/Planet Generation system. So I would not expect it to happen anytime soon.

(in reply to Tomn)
Post #: 9
RE: Pregen Earth Map? - 5/30/2021 4:22:31 PM   
zgrssd

I just stumbeled over something odd in the gamefiles.
Debug Mode -> Management -> Debug -> Library 2 SE_Random -> Table 26 "NOT USED FOR INPUT".
It lists the planet classes.
One of them is "Gaia Class" or "Earth Class".
Currently set to the require the non-existing "DLC Number 3". So basically hidden from view.

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Pregen Earth Map? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI