Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

[Answered] Passive Sonar Not Detecting Cavitating Vessels Until Extremely Close

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> [Answered] Passive Sonar Not Detecting Cavitating Vessels Until Extremely Close Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
[Answered] Passive Sonar Not Detecting Cavitating Vesse... - 6/20/2021 1:57:34 PM   
stww2

My guess is the answer to this is going to be the same as the answer to this thread here regarding SURTASS sensor issues (https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=5033202), but for the sake of due diligence:

In the attached scenario, a Sturgeon and a Udaloy are set to pass by each other. They start just outside of the Sturgeon's sonar range. The Udaloy is set to travel at flank speed, and thus should be easily detectable by the creeping Sturgeon. However, when I ran this, the Sturgeon only got a detection at 10nm. Setting the Sturgeon to shallow (instead of deep as possible) pushes that detection back to 15nm.

Sea State is 2 with very light rain. There is no layer in this area of the ocean.

Game Version: 1147.25
Database: DB3000 v488

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by WSBot -- 6/23/2021 2:00:43 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Passive Sonar Not Detecting Cavitating Vessels Unti... - 6/20/2021 5:15:30 PM   
c3k

My first thought is that it may be a geometry issue, but that wouldn't make sense...

(in reply to stww2)
Post #: 2
RE: Passive Sonar Not Detecting Cavitating Vessels Unti... - 6/20/2021 6:57:41 PM   
RoryAndersonCDT

The figures you mention sound correct.
Direct-path limit when out of the surface duct is never more than 9.5nm, and with ducting (when shallow) can boost to 12-15nm under excellent conditions.
Beyond direct-path range is the start of the shadow zone, which is only interrupted by CZ rings.

Command Dev Team
Technical Lead

(in reply to c3k)
Post #: 3
RE: Passive Sonar Not Detecting Cavitating Vessels Unti... - 6/20/2021 7:04:23 PM   
stww2

Good to know! After the most recent update I expected sonar to be less effective than it was before, but clearly I underestimated just how significant that change would be (or maybe it was always like that and I just never had cause to test things before).

(in reply to RoryAndersonCDT)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> [Answered] Passive Sonar Not Detecting Cavitating Vessels Until Extremely Close Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI