Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

targets selection for each nuclear MIRV (each warhead). Possible?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> targets selection for each nuclear MIRV (each warhead). Possible? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
targets selection for each nuclear MIRV (each warhead).... - 7/26/2021 9:42:09 PM   
gsalvar

Hello everyone.

Sorry if this has already been asked. I made a search but I didn't find anything.

I'm playing a mission where an american submarine launches Trident II nuclear missiles against a targets concentration.
Each Trident II missile has 8 MIRV. (8 warheads)

My question is whether it is possible to target each warhead to a different target (one directed to an airport, other to a close city, etc).
Command automatically selects the targets for each MIRV, but I would like to change the pre-selected targets by the program. Is this possible?

Thank in advance.
Post #: 1
RE: targets selection for each nuclear MIRV (each warhe... - 7/27/2021 10:50:59 AM   
tylerblakebrandon

quote:

ORIGINAL: gsalvar

Hello everyone.

Sorry if this has already been asked. I made a search but I didn't find anything.

I'm playing a mission where an american submarine launches Trident II nuclear missiles against a targets concentration.
Each Trident II missile has 8 MIRV. (8 warheads)

My question is whether it is possible to target each warhead to a different target (one directed to an airport, other to a close city, etc).
Command automatically selects the targets for each MIRV, but I would like to change the pre-selected targets by the program. Is this possible?

Thank in advance.

Answer here. https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4290414&mpage=1&key=MIRV�

(in reply to gsalvar)
Post #: 2
RE: targets selection for each nuclear MIRV (each warhe... - 7/27/2021 1:33:52 PM   
gsalvar

Thanks for the info. It seems it is not possible.

Anyway when I release several missiles at the same time, all the MIRVs adquires the same target.. strangle behavoir.

I will check if this is normal.
Thanks

(in reply to tylerblakebrandon)
Post #: 3
RE: targets selection for each nuclear MIRV (each warhe... - 7/27/2021 5:03:04 PM   
Randomizer

It might help if you post a save.

Part of the problem is that ballistic missile warheads are on fixed ballistic trajectories once ejected from the warhead bus. Because the bus itself has only very limited scope for manoeuvre, the reentry vehicles must all land in a relatively small footprint. If only a single target is present within the footprint, then all of the reentry vehicles will be aimed at it. It should be remembered that each warhead had been allotted its own target within the MIRV footprint, which was itself dependent on a large number of factors driven largely by the mathematics of orbital geometry. While ten 100-KT warheads would do far more total damage than one 1-MT weapon, the actual total damage area from the former would not cover a significantly greater area but the destruction within that zone would be far greater and more uniform with the multiple, smaller warhead detonations vice the single, large weapon.

When I build targets for nuclear weapons' scenarios, they are almost inevitably composed of groups consisting of city and town markers and assorted infrastructure all within usually <15-km and have had satisfactory result from MIRVed ICBMs targeted by strike missions on these type of targets as the individual reentry vehicles select their own targets within the target group. Last time I tried this was several updates ago so there may have been subsequent changes to the MIRV model but remember that the MIRV footprint would almost invariably be relatively small. They were never intended to target separate cities (for example), rather they would be targeted at discrete and specific DGZ* within a single city.

-C

*DGZ = Designated Ground Zero, nukespeak for a target once a nuclear weapon has been allocated to it.

< Message edited by Randomizer -- 7/27/2021 5:06:48 PM >

(in reply to gsalvar)
Post #: 4
RE: targets selection for each nuclear MIRV (each warhe... - 7/27/2021 9:05:16 PM   
BDukes

quote:

Anyway when I release several missiles at the same time, all the MIRVs adquires the same target.. strangle behavoir.

Thanks

Just did a quick test. Autoattacked 4 UK airbases with a 4 Mirv weapon and three of the airbases were attacked (think 1 got 2 mirvs while the other 2 got 1). This is in build 1147.29

How did you build the attack? Auto-attack, manual or a strike in the mission editor.

As Rando mentioned a save file would be handy.

Thanks!

Mike

(in reply to gsalvar)
Post #: 5
RE: targets selection for each nuclear MIRV (each warhe... - 7/27/2021 9:29:51 PM   
Randomizer

Here's a test scenario that I call "A Bad Day for Targetville".

It consists of the Player's side with two early Ohios, one (USS Nevada) in the Western Pacific about 4500 nm from the targets and another (USS Michigan) in the Bering Sea. This places the direction of attack at close to 90-degrees so you can see how target aspect and range in relation to the trajectory of the reentry vehicles affects the MIRV impact pattern.

The target is called Targetville and consists of 23-city markers grouped inside a 10-nm radius circle. When the scenario is loaded a teleport event will fire to scatter all but the centre marker randomly in the circle. You can rearrange the city markers as desired but it appears as though all will land within the 20-nm circle. Outside of that you may not get hits but it's clear that the MIRVs seem to be working as intended in CMO and that this accurately reflects their utility in the real world.

-C

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Randomizer -- 7/27/2021 9:35:31 PM >

(in reply to BDukes)
Post #: 6
RE: targets selection for each nuclear MIRV (each warhe... - 7/28/2021 10:09:23 AM   
p1t1o

quote:

Thanks

Hi gsalvar,
If no suitable targets within the footprint, all warheads will attack the same target. You will need to use a bit of trial and error to find the limits of the footprint, Im not sure if it varies.

Try my scenario "Set Defence Condition One" (in the latest scen pack) - the AI on both sides use MIRVs extensively, check out the missions in the editor.

(in reply to BDukes)
Post #: 7
RE: targets selection for each nuclear MIRV (each warhe... - 7/28/2021 9:43:45 PM   
gsalvar

Hi,
quote:

ORIGINAL: p1t1o

quote:

Thanks

Hi gsalvar,
If no suitable targets within the footprint, all warheads will attack the same target. You will need to use a bit of trial and error to find the limits of the footprint, Im not sure if it varies.

Try my scenario "Set Defence Condition One" (in the latest scen pack) - the AI on both sides use MIRVs extensively, check out the missions in the editor.

Hello all,

I did some testing and indeed if there is no similar target within the attack zone it places all the MIRVs to the same target.
Anyway when you launch two missiles at the same time (16 MIRVs in flight) one of the missiles distributes the MIRVs to several targets and the other one places all to the same target.

I suppose that having two missiles (16 MIRVs) assigned to a small area does not find other targets to which to distribute the MIRVs of the second missile.

I attach the scen. More than playing it, I'm using it for testing.

Many thanks to you and the rest of the forum members for the information and interesting answers.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to p1t1o)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> targets selection for each nuclear MIRV (each warhead). Possible? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI