Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Observations/suggestions/ideas/wishful thinking

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> The War Room >> Observations/suggestions/ideas/wishful thinking Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Observations/suggestions/ideas/wishful thinking - 10/11/2021 9:38:40 PM   
trevor999

Greetings to all

Just a few observations, suggestions, ideas and wish list items

Database:
AC-130J
Add GBU-69/B Small Glide Munition to load-out options
Add AGM-114 Hellfire to load-out options (I have seen several sources that indicate the AC-130J can carry these
Add AHEL Airborne High Energy Laser (future/hypothetical)

A-10C
Add 1 x GBU-31/B; 4 x GBU-58/B to load-out options

AGM-179 JAGM
Add MQ-9 Reaper, F-35, OH-58F Kiowa, MH-60R/S to launch platforms

AGM-114R9X, -114M, -114N to soft targets only
AGM-114K/K2/K2A/L/R to all targets (hard and soft)

Add:
BLU-126/B Low Collateral Damage Bomb
BLU-129/B Very Low Collateral Damage Bomb
BLU-114/B "Soft Bomb"
BLU-118/B Thermobaric Bomb
BLU-121/B Skip Bomb (I don't know if this can be modeled, or whether caves (the weapon's target) can be modeled)

Add:
Dash-8 STAMP (SOCOM Tactical Airborne Multi-sensor Platform)(although sensor details are sketchy)

Observations:
A. Why does it seem when there's a SAM launch every a/c in the area seems to evade, even those above the max altitude of the missile (usually MANPAD SAM)?
B. Why do these non targeted a/c end up evading to an altitude below the maximum altitude of the SAM?
C. Why does the evading a/c not take the best route possible away from the SAM threat? Often they seem to go out of their way to fly into a threat(s).
D. Why does it seem in a 3+ a/c formation there always seems to be one plane that's off by itself, out of weapons launch range? Is the pilot a coward? A malingerer? I'm tired of seeing I have munitions left, but the a/c is out of weapons range.
I've read several posts on a/c SAM evasion but none of them really helped.

Wish list:
An airbase creator tool in the Scenario Editor. Instead of adding each structure manually, a tool to add x# runways, x# access points, x# hangers etc would be nice. Sort of an box with a "fill in the blanks".

A ground forces template/tool. Something like CMO meets Operational Art of War. Battalion, brigade, division; Infantry, mechanized, armored, artillery. Generic? Specific to nation? One that models supply, proficiency, C3I levels. Like the above, the tool would be "fill in the blanks". However I have feeling that modeling the above units (and sub-units) would slow the game down to a snail pace, if not a super computer requirement...

Finally, a Time on Target tool. Maybe start with one weapon system, something simple, like cruise missiles. Done via the mission editor where one would select the platforms for the attack (ship/aircraft/sub), take into account launch and flight time for airborne platforms (at cruise speed), and provide a manual or automatic missile flight path (like in the manual attack option)from the point of launch, and would adjust the point of launch accordingly depending on the missile flight time.
It would also be nice to at least have the system calculate launch times for multiple launches from a single platform dependent on missile launch time (x seconds between launches) and missile flight time/distance. For example, if I want to launch 30 cruise missiles from an Ohio class SSGN with the missiles manually or auto programmed for different flight paths, the system should be able to launch those missiles at specific intervals to the all approach/hit the target at the same time, even from different directions.

Thanks for reading!

Post #: 1
RE: Observations/suggestions/ideas/wishful thinking - 10/11/2021 10:58:18 PM   
SeaQueen

quote:

ORIGINAL: trevor999
Observations:
A. Why does it seem when there's a SAM launch every a/c in the area seems to evade, even those above the max altitude of the missile (usually MANPAD SAM)?

Because they're a little overly vigilant. Ships do the same thing, where vessels which are well clear of the ASCM try to evade the ASCM (mission already accomplished!).

quote:

B. Why do these non targeted a/c end up evading to an altitude below the maximum altitude of the SAM?

The automatic SAM evasion logic is very formulaic. That being said, the general logic isn't terrible. It's attempting to defeat the seeker head by forcing a "look down" situation, thus raising the level of both IR and radar clutter.

quote:

C. Why does the evading a/c not take the best route possible away from the SAM threat? Often they seem to go ot of their way to fly into a threat(s).

You mean drag and kinematicly defeat the missile? That's a possibility at some ranges and it works. Since CMO/CMANO doesn't do a great job of modeling the energy state of the weapon it doesn't work as well as it should in real life. That might change in the future. For now, though in CMO/CMANO missiles fly at constant speed over the entirety of their flyout. In real life, that's not true. None the less, if you want to do it you can assume manual control by changing "Ignore Plotted Course" to "False," and direct the aircraft to do it.

The existing algorithm is based on descriptions of Vietnam era SAM evasion where F-4 pilots would "turn into" the missile, attempting to defeat their guidance and control by out maneuvering the missile.

Real life SAM avoidance is a minefield of "it depends," and there's multiple possible tactics that could be employed given different systems in different situations. The best thing to do is make sure they never shoot.

quote:

D. Why does it seem in a 3+ a/c formation there always seems to be one plane that's off by itself, out of weapons launch range? Is the pilot a coward? A malingerer? I'm tired of seeing I have munitions left, but the a/c is out of weapons range.
I've read several posts on a/c SAM evasion but none of them really helped.

It depends. It could be that a single got separated off in an air to air engagement, or it could have been due to SAM evasion. I've seen both situations evolve. If you want to keep your aircraft tightly grouped, maybe you should better address the forces which oppose them.

quote:

An airbase creator tool in the Scenario Editor. Instead of adding each structure manually, a tool to add x# runways, x# access points, x# hangers etc would be nice. Sort of an box with a "fill in the blanks".

Which airbase needs to be created? There's already a huge (and expanding) library of .inst files for airports around the world.

quote:

A ground forces template/tool. Something like CMO meets Operational Art of War. Battalion, brigade, division; Infantry, mechanized, armored, artillery. Generic? Specific to nation? One that models supply, proficiency, C3I levels. Like the above, the tool would be "fill in the blanks". However I have feeling that modeling the above units (and sub-units) would slow the game down to a snail pace, if not a super computer requirement...

I'm not into it. The problem with the aforementioned tool is that it'd fall into the trap of modeling doctrine. In historical situations that works well but in near future and speculative scenarios that tends to be extremely limiting. One of the advantages of CMO/CMANO is that it's doctrine independent and that allows you to model many different force structures. Furthermore, CMO/CMANO is a tactical game, so trying to do things like model divisions is probably unwise, not so much for runtime issues, but because at that level a division commander isn't interested in platoon level maneuvers. That just wouldn't make sense. None the less, that is precisely the focus of Command. It's the old "too many hats" problem. In Command, you frequently represent a whole committee of officers. At some point it's just too many to even make sense.

What I would like to see is more .inst files for ground units. For example, I recently submitted a Russian Battalion Tactical Group .inst template, which I felt would help people build larger scenarios in many contemporary theaters.

quote:

Finally, a Time on Target tool.

Be careful what you ask for. Don't think a computer is going to do your thinking for you.

quote:

It would also be nice to at least have the system calculate launch times for multiple launches from a single platform dependent on missile launch time (x seconds between launches) and missile flight time/distance. For example, if I want to launch 30 cruise missiles from an Ohio class SSGN with the missiles manually or auto programmed for different flight paths, the system should be able to launch those missiles at specific intervals to the all approach/hit the target at the same time, even from different directions.

Doing a little trigonometry will reveal that you can fire them at the same interval and by changing their waypoints, have them all arrive at the same time. The last missiles go straight in. The first missiles need to add time to their time of flight so that the last missiles can catch up. If you figure it takes five seconds between the first shot and the last shot, the first missile needs to pick a waypoint so that it adds five seconds worth of flight time to the flyout.

It's not that hard. You should be able to do it in a spreadsheet. The interesting question is, how far out do you want the missile to turn in? Well... it depends. One possible way to pick them is to figure at which altitude the missile flies at, then figure the radar line of site to that altitude (AGL, remember, because it's probably terrain following). You can go at the target at an angle as long as it doesn't have a line of sight to you, but once it has a line of sight you need to worry about radar cross section. So you probably want to turn in and present the minimum radar cross section no closer to the target than the maximum radar line of sight distance.

All that thinking I just did, that's called tactics. I solved a problem for you. Go do some math and rock stuff with your awesome cruise missile strikes.

I guarantee that any built in tool you make is going to have a bunch of built in, hard coded assumptions that eventually you'll look at and take issue with (very much like... the SAM evasion logic!). Given that the guys are working on incomplete information, that kind of problem is inevitable. I really chafe at this stuff because in a certain sense you're asking the guys to do your thinking for you, and avoid the actual substance of the game, which is the development of your own tactics.

< Message edited by SeaQueen -- 10/13/2021 1:44:02 AM >

(in reply to trevor999)
Post #: 2
RE: Observations/suggestions/ideas/wishful thinking - 10/12/2021 9:45:10 AM   
trevor999

My apologies. I'm sorry for making you "chafe". Silly me, I wasn't aware that when I bought this simulation I'd have to dust off my high school trig books and take a course on Excel. Nor am I asking for anyone to anything for me that probably isn't available in the real world. I find it doubtful most players want to spend hours making spreadsheet calculations for one simulated attack, probably among many, nor do they likely have the time or ambition for such a thing. Unless of course you're saying CMO is for "hard core" players only, and all other amateurs need not apply. And if one is using trigonometry and spreadsheets to make these calculations, then why not have a tool that lets the system do it for the user? I don't think anyone is asking for CMO to take into account every single real world variable. That would be an unrealistic request at best, absurd at worst. I think most users want an enjoyable but challenging simulation that's as close to real world as within reason, but without having to go through too many cerebral gymnastics. And considering that in the last vote a ToT tool was the most requested addition to the game, I know I'm not alone.

You're probably right about division sized ground units. It was just a thought. I was recently playing CoW "Korean Ground Game" and thought it might have been more of a challenge trying to destroy an NK mech or tank Bn/Regt with their organic AAA and SAM's etc than just a bunch of three unit formations. Once their nearest SA-2's and then air force was destroyed it was like shooting fish in a barrel with the Apache's.

(in reply to SeaQueen)
Post #: 3
RE: Observations/suggestions/ideas/wishful thinking - 10/12/2021 11:21:37 AM   
thewood1

"I don't think anyone is asking for CMO to take into account every single real world variable."

Actually, if you read through some of the advanced mission planner discussions, you'll see that are some people who are. Check out some of the older threads on modeling A2A combat. They are basically asking for DCS in CMO, minus the cockpit. Its hard to separate the rivet counters and the people who are just looking for help.

And I think your comment on the trig book is actually what I talk about a lot. This is a game/sim that is going to force you to do a lot of thinking and planning. There are other games out there that take a different approach and hide all of it from you. The more detail people ask for in all aspects of the game will make it that much more out of reach for anyone not able or willing to put in the planning work.

You are like puss filled boil on nice of ass of bikini model. You are nasty to everybody but then try to sweeten things up with a nice post somewhere else. That's nice but you're still a boil on a beautiful thing! - BDukes

(in reply to trevor999)
Post #: 4
RE: Observations/suggestions/ideas/wishful thinking - 10/12/2021 6:06:46 PM   
trevor999

Good points, however I think users need to realize that the developers of this simulation are running a business, and expect to remunerated for their work, which comes from sales. I'm sure they didn't creat this game for a chosen few. Therefore, they have to balance the wants of minority ("rivet counters" as you so eloquently put it) and the wants of the majority of users who just want a challenging (but not a completely vertical learning curve)game, but an ultimately rewarding and gratifying game. (And I do get a great deal of gratification when I get a victory). Also a game that will run on the majority of the rigs out there, instead of being limited to very high end and expensive rigs. I'm sure you could build a game that takes into account every rivet, every hour of wear and tear, availability of spares, the interaction of the environment on flight (humidity, temperature, cross wind etc), but how many users could run such a simulation? Very few, I think. Very few, I think, could afford such a game either. I think the developers of this game realize that their game appeals to a pretty limited market, not much more than a niche, as opposed to, say, Fallout, or Civ, or a multitude of other games. So there has to be a balance between ease of use and realism, specifically aimed at attracting new users, and therefore generating more revenue (ie a pay cheque).

Based on the arguments I've seen, maybe the dev's should add to the Recommended Requirements: "A college level degree in trigonometry and geometry and a high level working knowledge of Excel spreadsheet use."

In any event, nothing prevents the developers from making a ToT tool/interface optional for those who wish to use it if they want to make their experience a little more enjoyable.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 5
RE: Observations/suggestions/ideas/wishful thinking - 10/12/2021 7:39:34 PM   
thewood1

Something does prevent them from doing it: business priorities, cost, market expansion, etc. All the usual suspects that players never consider.

You are like puss filled boil on nice of ass of bikini model. You are nasty to everybody but then try to sweeten things up with a nice post somewhere else. That's nice but you're still a boil on a beautiful thing! - BDukes

(in reply to trevor999)
Post #: 6
RE: Observations/suggestions/ideas/wishful thinking - 10/12/2021 7:41:04 PM   
thewood1

I'll also point out the game was doing pretty well before anyone even talked about canopy visibility or an APM. In fact, it sure looks like its doing very well in the professional sector.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 7
RE: Observations/suggestions/ideas/wishful thinking - 10/12/2021 8:05:51 PM   
Randomizer

quote:

Based on the arguments I've seen, maybe the dev's should add to the Recommended Requirements: "A college level degree in trigonometry and geometry and a high level working knowledge of Excel spreadsheet use."

Passive/aggressive BS like this is why we can't keep nice things since solving distance over time problems has never required trig, geometry or EXCEL. To draw inspiration from the film The Friends of Eddy Coyle, CMO's hard but it's harder when you're stupid.

-C

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 8
RE: Observations/suggestions/ideas/wishful thinking - 10/12/2021 8:39:26 PM   
thewood1

I just ignored the passive aggressive stuff because he probably doesn't even know he's doing it. He's made his mind up and there's know changing it.

(in reply to Randomizer)
Post #: 9
RE: Observations/suggestions/ideas/wishful thinking - 10/13/2021 1:41:40 AM   
SeaQueen

quote:

ORIGINAL: trevor999
Good points, however I think users need to realize that the developers of this simulation are running a business, and expect to remunerated for their work, which comes from sales. I'm sure they didn't create this game for a chosen few.

Actually, the guys created the game they wanted to play. The game they wanted to play demanded a lot of thinking for you to get good at it. It forced people to confront real tactical problems and understand how technology impacted tactics in a fairly sophisticated way.

quote:

Therefore, they have to balance the wants of minority ("rivet counters" as you so eloquently put it) and the wants of the majority of users who just want a challenging (but not a completely vertical learning curve)game, but an ultimately rewarding and gratifying game. (And I do get a great deal of gratification when I get a victory). Also a game that will run on the majority of the rigs out there, instead of being limited to very high end and expensive rigs.

And I think that they've done that. The thing is, there's enough depth in CMO/CMANO that learning to manipulate the game itself is in a lot of ways the least challenging thing. That's just buttonology, but that's the beginning. The real substance isn't just operating the software. It's making the most use of all the information you've got in the database viewer, and on the map to plan and execute a course of action, and having a deep understanding of why you did the things you did. Because there is a relatively sophisticated understanding of the technical phenomenology in the simulation, the person who is willing to sit down and understand that, is often rewarded with greater tactical effectiveness.

quote:

I'm sure you could build a game that takes into account every rivet, every hour of wear and tear, availability of spares, the interaction of the environment on flight (humidity, temperature, cross wind etc), but how many users could run such a simulation?

CMO/CMANO doesn't do every rivet, but cloud cover and temperature matter. So does wind.

quote:

So there has to be a balance between ease of use and realism, specifically aimed at attracting new users, and therefore generating more revenue (ie a pay cheque).

I think the appeal of games like CMO/CMANO is that they offer the potential to learn things, and experiment with ideas. The buttonology of CMO is pretty straight forward. It's sort of death by menu options, for sure, but I think they're all worth it. They're all at least potentially important, and need to be understood. But like I said, that's really just the beginning. It's like chess. You start off just learning how the pieces move. Then maybe you start learning a few combinations. Decades later you might be a grand master and still be learning new stuff. CMO has enough depth to almost be like that.

quote:

High school math and basic use of a spreadsheet can help, as well as being a hopeless bookworm.

-Sarah

(in reply to trevor999)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> The War Room >> Observations/suggestions/ideas/wishful thinking Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI