Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Is there a more detailed explanation for ground combat system?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> The War Room >> Is there a more detailed explanation for ground combat system? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Is there a more detailed explanation for ground combat ... - 1/6/2022 3:46:06 AM   
adam4lexander

Hello. I picked up War In The East 2 a couple of weeks ago. It's the first game Ive played in the Gary Grigsby series. I'm enjoying it but something that's bugging me is the mystery of what happens during ground combat. I've viewed the detail screens in the battle report and read the relevant sections of the manual in detail. They give hints to what is going on, but still leave so many questions. This is specifically about the combat system where elements take shots at each other at decreasing ranges. Are there any resources that explains it in more detail?

Some specific questions I have:
- When an element is activated at some range and fires, will all elements of that type fire all weapons from that range? Or is this the indicated range they start firing, but will continue firing at closer ranges?

- How do elements choose their targets? Will a heavy gun prioritize firing at heavy targets or does it fire at targets randomly?

- If I face an army of light tanks and heavy tanks, and my anti-tank guns begin firing at a range that will destroy light tanks but not heavy, will that mean all elements of this type in the battle will only fire from this range and only hope to hit the light ones?

- Tanks have armour scores listed for Front, Side and Top. In what conditions are the sides chosen to determine damage? If I attack a tank army from multiple sides during a Planned Attack will there be a higher proportion of side-armour attacks?

- Weapons have 3 different penetration scores: Pen, HEAT and HVAP. How are these scores compared to the armour on a tank to determine damage?

- Weapons also have an Anti-Armour efficiency score. What is this used for and how does it relate to the penetration scores above? Some weapons such as the Bazooka seem to have a high Penetration score (80) but an AArm score of 0. Does this mean its good against armour or not?

That's a lot of questions so I'll stop there. If anyone can shed some light it would be highly appreciated. There's so much detail on all the equipment and weapons in-game that its a shame its not clear how they affect the simulation.

Post #: 1
RE: Is there a more detailed explanation for ground com... - 1/6/2022 6:49:57 AM   
loki100

actual combat is out of your control

better than the cross-tab tables in the report is to watch a few battles at speed 7. You don't want to do this very often but it will give you an insight into what actually happens

in the main if combat (ground or air) interacts with facing (or altitude), you'll find that experience is a very important variable.

also every combat has a lot of dice rolls as the elements in action interact with their leadership chain - one reason why you may well see very different outcomes for the same battle if you repeat it

(in reply to adam4lexander)
Post #: 2
RE: Is there a more detailed explanation for ground com... - 1/6/2022 10:00:15 AM   
Stamb

Unfortunately as a player you can not see how many rolls were failed. And it is very important, according to a manual. It would be nice to have such an information somewhere in a battle report.
It would give an idea that "ok, i failed 50% of my rolls - might try again next turn" or "i have 85% successful rolls but it is not even close to a 2:1 ratio that is required to win a battle and no reasons for hitting this wall next turn"

P.S

This is simplified and do not count reserve activation/weather/CPP/fatigue/ but you got the idea :)

< Message edited by Stamb -- 1/6/2022 10:01:43 AM >

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 3
RE: Is there a more detailed explanation for ground com... - 1/6/2022 9:45:12 PM   
adam4lexander

I tried running a few battles with message level 7. It shows a ton of to-hit rolls for the air battle but nothing for the ground battle. The only message for the ground battle is what range it ended.
I'm not sure if it's a bug or something, was expecting that it would show all the to-hit rolls for the ground elements as well.

edit: Weirdly I'm getting more details from message level 4 then 7. Level 4 at least shows some to-hit rolls.

< Message edited by adam4lexander -- 1/6/2022 9:50:58 PM >

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> The War Room >> Is there a more detailed explanation for ground combat system? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI