Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

map improvements

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> map improvements Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
map improvements - 1/26/2022 5:03:38 PM   
calcwerc

One of the many improvements of this game since it initial release, is that a lot of the "hidden" information is now displayed at the map, for instance which cities in Manchuria Japan must garrison to avoid rising the russian war readiness.
It is also a great improvement with the lines in Mediterranean, marking how many allied units can be where without triggering Italian war entry.
I wish that even more of the game features are marked in this way:
- a line in China where Japanese advance must halt before rising American war readiness
- Text messages in Australia (and other places?) where Axis naval presence will spawn Allied units - many players dont know that the allies get among other a tank unit when they raid the waters around Australia
- a line which marks where the Japanese naval vessels can go without triggering american war readiness, not only in the pacific (where it already exists) but also between Indian Ocean and Atlantic

I also would love if the decision events could be even more clear about the war readiness implication of the decisions, for instance in the notes. Managing war readiness is one of the most important aspects of the game, and I am often in doubt, especially now after a break and new patches has come in and perhaps altered how things were balanced. Wouldn`t it be great if the information was more available directly in the game?
Post #: 1
RE: map improvements - 1/27/2022 12:24:06 AM   
archmache

I agree - I wish the "notes" section was really a "details section" that gave the exact & change outcome etc. along with this maybe even a event list to scroll through to know which ones have been triggered (for example in the WW1 knowing how much NM loss was gained or lost each turn and from where would be a huge benefit).

(in reply to calcwerc)
Post #: 2
RE: map improvements - 1/27/2022 5:55:19 AM   
gpcgarag

very good point here

(in reply to archmache)
Post #: 3
RE: map improvements - 1/27/2022 8:55:01 AM   
EarlyDoors

I would love to see a map overlay for 'intelligence' that shows predicted enemy supply routes that is updated based upon locations revealed from fog of war

A number of times, I'll perform an action such as cut a rail line expecting a town to drop to supply 3 and it stays at 5 and i've no idea why

would be great if you could click an enemy resource and have it display its supply pipeline back to capital | secondary supply | industrial center etc

18-17 PBEM++
-----------
Honours the game
-----------
http://scwaw-rankings.s3-website.eu-west-2.amazonaws.com

(in reply to gpcgarag)
Post #: 4
RE: map improvements - 1/27/2022 2:56:56 PM   
taffjones

A great idea, especially for those of us with our eyesight getting worse.

One I would like to see is the Hexes from Warsaw that trigger Russian mobilisation increases. I find it difficult to count back the hexes each turn

(in reply to EarlyDoors)
Post #: 5
RE: map improvements - 1/27/2022 5:03:22 PM   
archmache

quote:

ORIGINAL: taffjones

A great idea, especially for those of us with our eyesight getting worse.

One I would like to see is the Hexes from Warsaw that trigger Russian mobilisation increases. I find it difficult to count back the hexes each turn

yup having an additional view would be great. In the civ 6 games they have filters you can turn on an off that show diff colors on the map for different things. Could implement a similar idea here.

< Message edited by archmache -- 1/27/2022 5:04:10 PM >

(in reply to taffjones)
Post #: 6
RE: map improvements - 1/28/2022 8:54:18 PM   
DrZom

quote:

ORIGINAL: calcwerc

One of the many improvements of this game since it initial release, is that a lot of the "hidden" information is now displayed at the map, for instance which cities in Manchuria Japan must garrison to avoid rising the russian war readiness.
It is also a great improvement with the lines in Mediterranean, marking how many allied units can be where without triggering Italian war entry.
I wish that even more of the game features are marked in this way:
- a line in China where Japanese advance must halt before rising American war readiness
- Text messages in Australia (and other places?) where Axis naval presence will spawn Allied units - many players dont know that the allies get among other a tank unit when they raid the waters around Australia
- a line which marks where the Japanese naval vessels can go without triggering american war readiness, not only in the pacific (where it already exists) but also between Indian Ocean and Atlantic

I also would love if the decision events could be even more clear about the war readiness implication of the decisions, for instance in the notes. Managing war readiness is one of the most important aspects of the game, and I am often in doubt, especially now after a break and new patches has come in and perhaps altered how things were balanced. Wouldn`t it be great if the information was more available directly in the game?

Unless in real life such clear lines existed, I see no reason for them to exist in the game. Uncertainty is part of both diplomacy and war, so it should also be part of the game.

My two cents.

(in reply to calcwerc)
Post #: 7
RE: map improvements - 1/28/2022 9:07:00 PM   
calcwerc

But these lines are not random in the game, changing from each challenge, but fixed. My point is that many players dont know about them because they havent studied or learned the scripts by heart, and because of this they are at disadvantage in a match which might otherwise be even. This is particularly frustrating for new players, or players like myself who havent played for a few patches and want to dive back into the game.

Talking about improvements, I would really like to be able to send longer chat messages to my opponent.

(in reply to DrZom)
Post #: 8
RE: map improvements - 1/28/2022 9:49:49 PM   
ThunderLizard11

Agree and didn't know there was a line for Axis ships off India raising US mobilization

(in reply to calcwerc)
Post #: 9
RE: map improvements - 1/29/2022 8:02:21 PM   
DrZom

quote:

But these lines are not random in the game, changing from each challenge, but fixed.

Maybe some variation would add even more uncertainty. I see that as a good thing.

quote:

My point is that many players dont know about them because they havent studied or learned the scripts by heart, and because of this they are at disadvantage in a match which might otherwise be even. This is particularly frustrating for new players, or players like myself who havent played for a few patches and want to dive back into the game.

Players who study the game that intently will always have an advantage, which is as it should be. No? But make these scripts more variable and your objection is resolved; even the most extreme student of the game will be uncertain how far he can push the envelope.

quote:

Talking about improvements, I would really like to be able to send longer chat messages to my opponent.

I agree, but probably because I am verbose.

(in reply to calcwerc)
Post #: 10
RE: map improvements - 1/29/2022 9:02:44 PM   
Raptor341

quote:

ORIGINAL: DrZom

quote:

But these lines are not random in the game, changing from each challenge, but fixed.

Maybe some variation would add even more uncertainty. I see that as a good thing.

Players who study the game that intently will always have an advantage, which is as it should be. No? But make these scripts more variable and your objection is resolved; even the most extreme student of the game will be uncertain how far he can push the envelope.

That is exactly the point. This is a wargame - there should always be high levels of uncertainty. If anything, I believe that the series is at its strongest when random or unexpected events happen, as it forces players to react. Coding in more randomness would be a good thing, as well as acting to level the playing field against more experienced players. There is nothing I dislike more than watching someone maximise a script, or even for myself, knowing exactly what I can get away with or not based on something that I KNOW will occur. Add in just a bit of randomness and it all changes.

For example, - % chance that the invasion of Norway will fail in the event. Now the axis player must reinforce the position in Norway or have it lost to the Allies. For many war-related events, you could have something like this to keep it variable and forcing players to react.

(in reply to DrZom)
Post #: 11
RE: map improvements - 1/29/2022 9:19:21 PM   
calcwerc

Bit apples and oranges we are discussing here.

There is a lot of randomness in the game: the dices rolled in battles, in diplomacy, weather and so on. I am not against that at all. I just think it is good when the map informs about some of the crucial game mechanics, which btw are without randomness. It already does, I pointed out a few examples in the first post. Why not expand a bit upon that where it seems appropriate?

(in reply to Raptor341)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> map improvements Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI