Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Announcement of Retirement

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Announcement of Retirement Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Announcement of Retirement - 9/26/2001 2:31:00 AM   
Wild Bill

I wanted to let you all know that effective September 30th of this year, I am retiring from Matrix Games. What that means is that I will no longer be an integral member of the business. I will, however, finish all projects currently related to Steel Panthers World at War and will serve on a limited basis as an independent consultant for wargaming, including of course, Matrix Games. I just won't be a direct part of the organization. I will still be visiting the forum and hopefully will have a chance to contribute to the development of the fantastic upcoming games from Matrix. The current project, a new Mega Campaign, will be completed. I think you will be quite pleased with this third one, and probably more than ready by then to get off the East Front (G). The next Mega Campaign to come out will be Lost Victories, headed up by Brent "Grenadier" Richards and his daredevil team of designers and testers, a must have for all SPWAW lovers. Some time after that, you'll have the opportunity to enjoy the next offering in a Mega Campaign format done by my team. Finally, let me say that working with David Heath, Paul Vebber, and the other members of Matrix has been a great experience for me. I'll be forever grateful for the opportunity they have given me. David and I have worked as a team for nearly four years now. We have covered a lot of ground and seen a lot of action together. It's been fun, Chief! Please know also that though my status is changing, I'm the same old "Wild Bill" and I am not going to disappear any time soon, God willing. Just so you know, the WBR team will continue to function as always upgrading and maintaining the four sites we sponsor on the Military Gamer site. Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant
Post #: 1
- 9/26/2001 2:45:00 AM   
Charles2222

Ah, more time to actually 'play' the games, huh? Fare thee well. I thought you was going to tell us what the 3rd MC was for a minute.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 2
- 9/26/2001 2:56:00 AM   
Neil Stalker

It has been an honour to work with you over the last couple of years at Matrix, I have learned a lot from you Master. The cry of we need more articles for MCs rings still in my ears - hell where to find something else to write about - gee would the readers be interested in the Composition of Sand or the sex life of the South Pacific Earth Worm. bg. Anyway mate looking forward to continue working with you on WBR may your imagination and pen never run dry aged warrior.

Neil "Dingo" Stalker
Wild Bill's Raiders
http://www.militarygamer.com/raiders/

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 3
- 9/26/2001 3:04:00 AM   
Gallo Rojo

Pues un fuerte abrazo y nos seguimos viendo por aquí!
Que todo sea para mejor.
Saludos Guille!

The bayonet is a weapon with a worker on each end

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 4
- 9/26/2001 3:05:00 AM   
David Heath

Bill and I been working together just about everyday for the last five years and no one will miss him more then me. Let me be the first to say Bill's input on SPWaW has been priceless and many gamers would not have the SPWaW they do with out him. I very happy that Bill will still be working with us on some of our future projects. So has Bill gets ready his fishing poll and ask everyone to give a standing salute!

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 5
- 9/26/2001 3:32:00 AM   
Warhorse

Kunel,it's been real good working with you and the others, man the time has flown!!! Please keep in touch fellah!!

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 6
- 9/26/2001 3:55:00 AM   
Red Baron

Ateeeeeension!!!
When i first saw the headline "Announcement of Retirement" My thought was "Oh no!! How shall i manage without Bill´s never ending encouragement and support whenever the probs seems to great to overcome!?? Well, i put on my glasses and read the post; What a relief, you will still be out there It´s now around 3 years ago i had my first meet with Bill, i had just got my web connection and was very eager to get "out there on the battlefield" with my SP3 and meet the worlds finest PBEM guys..BUT! PC brakedown, buying a new one and installed my beloved SP games, but they woidn´t work!! What to do!? Wife was ready to leave - Couldn´t stand my sour face anymore - the dog had run away - could´n stand the kicking -
and no more hair to pull out! Suddenly one late afternoon surfing around the web i found WBR..
A whole new world revaeled before my eyes! Took the chance and mailed to Bill. And Heruka! A few minutes later he replied and the prob. was solved and SP was runing again, wife was back and even the dog seemed happy For me thats dedication and intrest in your fellow humans/gamers! IMHO that is Bill in a nutshell and now 3 years later there is still a lot to learn from the master, so i´m very happy that you still will be out there Bill! I will with out no doubt need your advice again
Regards..Michael

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 7
- 9/26/2001 4:32:00 AM   
RockinHarry

Ah...at first I also was just starting to worry, but...the kunel will stay around and surly will bombard us with many more "WBR" style scenarios and campaigns.
Actually not much will change as it seems. Saluting ________
Harry

RockinHarry in the web:

https://www.facebook.com/harry.zann

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 8
- 9/26/2001 4:39:00 AM   
Mark Ezra

If there had been no Wild Bill it would have been necessary to invent him!

All Hail Marx and Lennon

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 9
- 9/26/2001 4:57:00 AM   
Warrior

Colonel "Wild Bill" Wilder has been a constant inspiration to me. As a newbie to SPWaW about a year ago, I played the game arcade-style, with all ammo limitations, etc., turned off. And I loved the game! I played for hours every day! Slowly, slowly, as I learned more about the game , I also began checking in here at the Forum, and soaked up a lot of knowledge from Wild Bill's posts. Eventually, I began to post myself, and emailed WB directly about a couple of minor matters. He was always patient and helpful. When the North African Mega Campaign was getting started, he asked if I'd like to be a tester, since I had already begun to do testing "independently" as a way to see new scenarios first. What a job! Hundreds of scenarios, numerous revisions, and at the same time testing the new version of the game. Through it all Bill was there with a helping hand or advice when needed. Well, a lot of water has flowed beneath the bridge since then. I now play the game with all the default preferences on, I learned how a "real" tester works, and with Bill's help have begun to design my own scenarios. (Of course, there are many other SPWaW'ers who also helped, but Bill has been, and remains, my number one Guru.) On his recommendation, I was asked to become a member of the Raider's Arsenal, which I consider a high honor. And when the New Mega Campaign was in the works, Bill asked me to be a Team Captain. Frankly, I was overwhelmed that he would consider me for the job. I didn't think I had it in me, and that I was still too much the "newbie," even after a year. This new Mega Campaign will be the crowning achievement of Wild Bill's time at Matrix. I guarantee you'll like it when it's ready. North Africa and the East Front are both excellent, but this new one - it's a leap ahead! Bill, for all your help, I thank you. For the time and energy you've devoted to this game, I thank you. And I especially thank you for always being a friend, when I had no reason to expect that. I suppose it helps that we're both older duffers! Whatever you do in the future, and whichever trail you might take, be sure I'll be there if you can ever use my help for anything. Matrix is losing a premier asset, but I have a feeling WB won't be able to stay away. Bill, you made SPWaW come alive for me in ways I may never have discovered on my own. Stay well. [ September 25, 2001: Message edited by: Warrior ]

Retreat is NOT an option.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 10
- 9/26/2001 5:56:00 AM   
Tombstone

I can say WB is the single most relevant factor in me taking up scenario design. Your effots have probably also contributed toward my interest in military history, at least to the level of detail that I study things nowadays. You're still gonna to scenario design like in the good old days of Wild Bill's Raiders aren't you?? Tomo

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 11
- 9/26/2001 6:03:00 AM   
Bing

Here's what I say: In forty-plus years of gaming, I have never met a greater gamer than Wild Bill. Can't think of anything better for one gamer to say to another. Bill: You da man!!! Don't be a stranger. We will miss you but understand the move. Bing

"For Those That Fought For It, Freedom Has a Taste And A Meaning The Protected Will Never Know. " -
From the 101st Airborne Division Association Website

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 12
- 9/26/2001 6:15:00 AM   
Alby

Good Luck to you sir!!!
thanks for all the great things you have done...umm except for all the mines!!!

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 13
- 9/26/2001 6:36:00 AM   
darroch

Per Mark Ezra: "If there had been no Wild Bill it would have been necessary to invent him!" Amen We'd be a poorer lot if he hadn't been so deeply involved... Good'on'ya, mate! Best of luck in your retirement.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 14
- 9/26/2001 6:59:00 AM   
troopie

Gee gesond, Heer. I hope to hear from you in forums and look forward to WB style scenarios. And now you can spend more time with Lady Beth. troopie

Pamwe Chete

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 15
- 9/26/2001 6:59:00 AM   
KG Erwin

Wild Bill, many thanks from this fan for your support and encouragement. From what you've said, I regard it not so much as a retirement, but as expanding your horizons. Maybe we should start calling you "scenario/campaign designer emeritus" or something. I particularly want to thank you for your support of the fan convention, and if we can pull it off, I'm really looking forward to meeting you next spring. I think all of us can say we are proud to have made your acquaintence, and look forward to many more years of your productivity AND inspiration. Glenn Higginbotham.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 16
- 9/26/2001 8:44:00 AM   
Greg McCarty

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Wild Bill:
[QB]I wanted to let you all know that effective September 30th of this year, I am retiring from Matrix Games. Bill: You are a fine gentleman, a respected individual,
and a damned good historian. Take some time to enjoy what you have contributed so much to. All the best.

Greg.

It is better to die on your feet
than to live on your knees.

--Zapata

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 17
- 9/26/2001 8:53:00 AM   
Figmo

Bill, You already know my feeling so I'll just say - GOOD LUCK WITH WHATEVER YOU DO!! You deserve the best of everything and you mean more to me as a friend than words can explain. Your Friend Always,
Figmo

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes ...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, f

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 18
- 9/26/2001 8:58:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Overwhelmed does not even begin to express what I am feeling as I read through these posts. You make a man feel good. You make him feel that it has indeed all been worthwhile. My heart has always been with my fellow wargamers. I promised God and myself that if I ever had an opportunity to have any sort of influence on gaming and the gaming community that I would NEVER be to busy to just be a "wargamer." All of my friends all over the world are a legacy that goes beyond quanitifying its value. Finally, seeing Steel Panthers develop into the game it has become has been the realization of a long-time dream. I can still remember clearly as a member of its beta team when I got a glimpse of it. I was in awe of the game. I still am. It is a classic. So are all of you. Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 19
- 9/26/2001 9:10:00 AM   
BruceAZ

Bill, stay in touch. You have my phone number. Bruce
Semper Fi

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 20
- 9/26/2001 1:12:00 PM   
AbsntMndedProf

Best wishes for your retirement! I haven't been around long enough to get to know you, but I have enjoyed the scenarios you have designed very much! I'm glad that you will still be dropping by the forums and assisting Matrix as a consultant. I hope that your retirement is everything you could want it to be. Eric Maietta

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 21
- 9/26/2001 8:03:00 PM   
bud

now--no more excuse`s---what about that game you have been promising me for over a year now---you can fish anytime---

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 22
- 9/26/2001 8:18:00 PM   
Marder_MatrixForum

Good Luck Mister Will Bill! Thanks for all the things you have done! Marder

"klotzen nicht kleckern"
(H.Guderian)

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 23
- 9/26/2001 10:12:00 PM   
pops

...sad news for us but I hope it is very happy news for you.....thank you so much for all you have done for all of us...noone has done more in all the gaming world......
SALUTE!!

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 24
- 9/26/2001 10:18:00 PM   
robot

Bill thanks for all your help. Wouldnt have been in steel panthers if not for you. I turned 70 in august and spent some time in hospital. Dont you do that. Have fun playing more. Relax is the name of the game.

Robots wear armor for skin.Grunts wear skin for armor.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 25
- 9/27/2001 12:15:00 AM   
Pantherblaster

Well Bill, I must say that we will absolutely miss your devotion to the game and the input into all those scenarios you have made and undoubtedly contributed to. I still remember your comments when I was reporting on the "from Uthah to the Rhine" Campaign here (finished it btw with all DV's except for one draw - drad!). You undoubtedly have deserved your retirement based on your work for Matrix, bringing the game of Steel Panthers back to the top in my view and keeping it there, But as I said above we WILL MISS YOU! Thanks. Btw What's the most difficult campaign for SPWAW 5.2? The best of luck and again thanks for your relentless involvement, go enjoy your free-time. Your sincerely, Joost Nieuwenhuijs Alias Pantherblaster

"War is the continuation of politics by all other means"-Vom Kriege, Carl von Clausewitz.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 26
- 9/27/2001 3:26:00 AM   
Huffy

Well...what to say...thank you...it has been great being in the forums and chats with you...we will miss your handy work and input...it goes deeper than that....
Take care...and relax...my friend.
Huffy

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 27
- 9/27/2001 3:31:00 AM   
Behemoth

Thank you-thank you-thank you-happy,happy,joy,joy retirement...
<---man of few words

“What do you mean you don't do it? Of course you do it. We all do it. We love to do it. I just did it and I'm ready to do it again.” -Mel Brooks as King Louis XVI

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 28
- 9/27/2001 3:44:00 AM   
adantas

Mein Oberst!!! I hope you still share with all of us all your knowledge and advices about this fantastic game!!
I'm honored to served over your orders Herr Oberst!!
I wish you enjoy your free time now.. for fishing and more SPWAW of course!!
Many thanks for all!!! Alessandro --------------
Senta à Pua!!!

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 29
- 9/27/2001 3:50:00 AM   
Mikimoto

Thanks for all Wild bill!!!
The SPWAW world will never be the same without you, sir. Take care, be happy and have the best of lucks.
¡¡¡Siempre a sus órdenes!!!

Desperta ferro!
Miquel Guasch Aparicio

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Announcement of Retirement Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI