Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

A Poll: Targetting artillery

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> A Poll: Targetting artillery Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A Poll: Targetting artillery - 2/23/2002 2:40:00 AM   
lnp4668

Just wants to conduct an unofficial poll here: Is it "gamey" to use onboard artillery unit to target its bombardment? Pro: With C&C on, one often ran out of order from FOs to conduct bombardment. Con: Artillery calling its own shot without LOS to target could be unrealistic. So what do you think? More pros and cons are welcome.

"My friends, remember this, that there are no bad herbs, and no bad men; there are only bad cultivators." Les Miserables
Post #: 1
- 2/23/2002 3:19:00 AM   
Drex

yes I think it is unrealistic to think that onboard arty could provide its own co-ordinates. but even if the FO is out of orders, any "O" u can call arty, the only difference is the TOA.

quote:

Col Saito: "Don't speak to me of rules! This is war! It is not a game of cricket!"

(in reply to lnp4668)
Post #: 2
- 2/23/2002 3:33:00 AM   
ZinZan

Yes I agree that it is "gamey" to use an onboard arty to plot arty. You missed a MAJOR pro (I believe) in that the Art rating affects accuracy so arty is more accurate. My own rule of thumb (in games vs comp) is to only use a O unit who has LOS, or whose subordinates have LOS to target hex. I don't worry about this when playing PBEM (though rarely use onboard arty to spot unless it has LOS) as it is impossible to police.

ZinZan <br/> Peace is an extension of war by political means. Plenty of elbow room is pleasanter - and much safer. <br/> Lazarus Long, Time Enough For Love by Robert Heinlein.

(in reply to lnp4668)
Post #: 3
- 2/23/2002 4:11:00 AM   
lnp4668

quote:

Originally posted by Drex:
yes I think it is unrealistic to think that onboard arty could provide its own co-ordinates. but even if the FO is out of orders, any "O" u can call arty, the only difference is the TOA.
So do the 0 unit of the artillery section/platoon counts?

"My friends, remember this, that there are no bad herbs, and no bad men; there are only bad cultivators." Les Miserables

(in reply to lnp4668)
Post #: 4
- 2/23/2002 4:37:00 AM   
Charles2222

I'm somewhat divided here. I have no reason to believe it is gamey, but then I suspect something is waiting in the wings. Especially consodering limited C&C orders, onboard can always fire into a general area without a spotter at anytime desired, so what's to be gamey about that? I'm pretty experienced with bombarding without spotters, in fact that's 95% of my bombarding and it's reliable enough (though almost everything goes through the FO). Perhaps the real problem, if there is one, is that the non-spotted scatter may need to be higher. Seem other games I've played had a considerably worse scatter, but then maybe those games were wrong. In my case I want a one or two hex scatter or better, as I'm usually trying to hit something besides just one spot that can be seen. I'd consider it wasteful to hit a single hex with more than 10 rounds.

(in reply to lnp4668)
Post #: 5
- 2/23/2002 4:48:00 AM   
ubertechie

I Would tend to agree with charles - i think that the 0 unit should be abel to call in arty but it should be less accurate would make FO units better value Cheers Ubertechie

(in reply to lnp4668)
Post #: 6
- 2/23/2002 4:53:00 AM   
DROregon

I always use FO first, then next best available 0 unit. (I never thought to use onboard arty!)

(in reply to lnp4668)
Post #: 7
- 2/23/2002 6:09:00 AM   
troopie

I've never thought to use onboard artillery to target off board artillery. I've always used FOs and the HQ. troopie

Pamwe Chete

(in reply to lnp4668)
Post #: 8
- 2/23/2002 8:44:00 AM   
bchapman

quote:

Is it "gamey" to use onboard artillery unit to target its bombardment?
I think it is but so what? If you are playing for fun against the AI I don't see any thing wrong with it. If playing PBEM, I think you should have an agreement before the game starts about artillery (Spotting, Points, etc.) and this way neither player feels like they have been "gamed". It's like using the save game in the M/C's where you drive all your units as far as they will go, save the game and then have a full movement count again in the same turn. If that is how you like to play then there is no problem. After all this is a GAME. We can change OOB's, Preferences, Settings or whatever to try and make it as historic and accurate as possible, but it's still a game. Since it's here for our enjoyment, use it the way you get the most enjoyment out of it. Rebelbug

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."<br />- Gerald Ford

(in reply to lnp4668)
Post #: 9
- 2/23/2002 10:00:00 AM   
Alby

Oh great, the old sp3 self spotting arty 00 delay junk has returned?? GRRRRRRRR

(in reply to lnp4668)
Post #: 10
- 2/23/2002 10:59:00 AM   
Drex

i guess if an enemy unit has been spotted, then it is reasonable to assume that the information (without co-ordinates)has been radio'd to the arty commander and he can decide to bombard that area. I don't know what the accuracy is but it should be low. the TOA would be fairly quick. I don't think it is a big issue.

quote:

Col Saito: "Don't speak to me of rules! This is war! It is not a game of cricket!"

(in reply to lnp4668)
Post #: 11
- 2/23/2002 1:11:00 PM   
tracer

quote:

Originally posted by Alby:
Oh man, don't even say that. Couple that with the PBEM opponent who would spend half his points on arty....them's were the bad old days.

Jim NSB

(in reply to lnp4668)
Post #: 12
- 2/23/2002 2:16:00 PM   
lnp4668

quote:

Originally posted by Alby:
Actually this may be more related to Svennemir's post:
http://www.matrixgames.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=008576

(in reply to lnp4668)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> A Poll: Targetting artillery Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI