Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Looking for someone to run Campaign with

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Looking for someone to run Campaign with Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Looking for someone to run Campaign with - 6/24/2000 6:34:00 AM   
Drake666

Looking for someone to try this idea with. We both start a campaign and then we send the files to each other to be edited in the scenario editor. We change the AI force and setup and then send it back so we can each play the battle. This is repeated at the start of each battle. This way each battle will be deffrent and you will not have the AIs lame setup and deploy. Doing it this way I hope to play one campaign battle a day or more depinding. If anyone is up for it let me now.

Post #: 1
- 6/24/2000 7:57:00 AM   
sjuncal

quote:

Originally posted by Drake666: Looking for someone to try this idea with. We both start a campaign and then we send the files to each other to be edited in the scenario editor. We change the AI force and setup and then send it back so we can each play the battle. This is repeated at the start of each battle. This way each battle will be deffrent and you will not have the AIs lame setup and deploy. Doing it this way I hope to play one campaign battle a day or more depinding. If anyone is up for it let me now.
Count me in, I haven't messed with the secnario editor much but that sounds like a cool idea, doesn't sound like too much of a time investment modifying the AIP force. My email is sjuncal@erols.com Simon

(in reply to Drake666)
Post #: 2
- 6/24/2000 10:07:00 AM   
Tankhead

Count me in too Drake666 sounds like it could be fun. My e-mail rcclout@telusplanet.net Tankhead

Tankhead

(in reply to Drake666)
Post #: 3
- 6/24/2000 10:17:00 AM   
victorhauser

How do you keep the edited games linked to the campaign (for experience increases and repair/upgrades)?

VAH

(in reply to Drake666)
Post #: 4
- 6/24/2000 10:33:00 AM   
sjuncal

quote:

Originally posted by victorhauser: How do you keep the edited games linked to the campaign (for experience increases and repair/upgrades)?
Interesting question. To edit them you have to rename the save to "scen" and put it into the scenario folder. I assume puting it back and renaming once again to save, would leave the basic campaign data within the save file untouched though the process. I could be totally wrong I haven't tried finishing the save I'm messing with at the moment. Anyone know if editing a campaign save like this strips out or fails to save campaign data? Or does it just leave it alone as I suspect it would? Just familiarized myself with the editor... could potentially do a lot of things to increase the AIP challenge... V-hex locations change deploy areas, give the AIP on defense some added terrain features, or maybe some more cover for AIP attack. Not to go overboard of course. and design scenarios, just beef up the existing situation... I'm curious if this could introduce buggyness? It would certainly solve any "no enemy" type bugs.

(in reply to Drake666)
Post #: 5
- 6/24/2000 10:40:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

The easiest way to do that is with Fred's Scenario editor. You can even change some of the camaign parameters. Another way to play a campaign is to do it cooperatively vs the AI. SEt a "two map" size game and split the force so one player has one map and the other player the other. WHo ever has teh highest total experience in the force at the end (whenever you decide that is ) is the "winner". Can get a little cut throat jokeying for who can kill the most AI units :-) Just email the save file back and forth...

(in reply to Drake666)
Post #: 6
- 6/24/2000 10:47:00 AM   
Drake666

quote:

Originally posted by sjuncal: Interesting question. To edit them you have to rename the save to "scen" and put it into the scenario folder. I assume puting it back and renaming once again to save, would leave the basic campaign data within the save file untouched though the process. I could be totally wrong I haven't tried finishing the save I'm messing with at the moment. Anyone know if editing a campaign save like this strips out or fails to save campaign data? Or does it just leave it alone as I suspect it would? Just familiarized myself with the editor... could potentially do a lot of things to increase the AIP challenge... V-hex locations change deploy areas, give the AIP on defense some added terrain features, or maybe some more cover for AIP attack. Not to go overboard of course. and design scenarios, just beef up the existing situation... I'm curious if this could introduce buggyness? It would certainly solve any "no enemy" type bugs.
Yup, thats the way it is done. I have did it in SP1 and 2. It works the same in SP:WAW. No buggyness as far as I now. O yes, the best thing to do is deploy your own force before you you save and do this or the battle will start when you switch it back and you will have your force lined up against one side of the board. [This message has been edited by Drake666 (edited 06-23-2000).]

(in reply to Drake666)
Post #: 7
- 6/24/2000 11:27:00 AM   
Warhorse

Yup, this is the only way I play a campaign now, change everything!! Don't like the country you come up against, change it, map?, Change it, anything at all, even airdrops, reinforcements, infiltrators, tooo cool!! I would jump into this campaign too guys, but the icons aren't finished, and helping on the oob's, thanks for the open invite though;-)Glad you are all enjoying yourselves!! ------------------ Mike Amos Meine Ehre Heisst Treue

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

(in reply to Drake666)
Post #: 8
- 6/24/2000 11:45:00 AM   
sjuncal

heh, starts you out at turn 1 as well (I just edited the 6th turn of a battle that was to end at the end of the AIP's turn) added some stugs in and some flame panzers... This was the battle where it ended JUST as my Brit Commandos were about to be assaulted by some Gerry Spec Ops and rifles supported by a platoon of panzers, that I mentioned in a previous thread. Battle ended the same way just with a couple more knocked out Gerry tanks, and about a 4000 point vitory instead of 3000. got the normal campaign trappings. The save file came out of editing about 900k smaller which worried me, but no ill effects were observed. Why is this? I assume it stripped a lot of the previous turns info (VCR playback etc.) out of the save making it much smaller. This looks like a really good idea I suppose we should think of some agreeable guidlines... Like no editing each others core forces (I could see it now Lt. Drake666 leading my rangers all of a sudden. heh heh heh.). Maybe agreeing not to overly exploit specific flaws in the players force (no AA? heh he'll really dig 25 Stuka's) and such like... Simon

(in reply to Drake666)
Post #: 9
- 6/24/2000 12:00:00 PM   
Drake666

quote:

Originally posted by sjuncal: heh, starts you out at turn 1 as well (I just edited the 6th turn of a battle that was to end at the end of the AIP's turn) added some stugs in and some flame panzers... This was the battle where it ended JUST as my Brit Commandos were about to be assaulted by some Gerry Spec Ops and rifles supported by a platoon of panzers, that I mentioned in a previous thread. Battle ended the same way just with a couple more knocked out Gerry tanks, and about a 4000 point vitory instead of 3000. got the normal campaign trappings. The save file came out of editing about 900k smaller which worried me, but no ill effects were observed. Why is this? I assume it stripped a lot of the previous turns info (VCR playback etc.) out of the save making it much smaller. This looks like a really good idea I suppose we should think of some agreeable guidlines... Like no editing each others core forces (I could see it now Lt. Drake666 leading my rangers all of a sudden. heh heh heh.). Maybe agreeing not to overly exploit specific flaws in the players force (no AA? heh he'll really dig 25 Stuka's) and such like... Simon
Will guys I will be running only one campaign to start and that will be with sjuncal becouse he was the first to reploy, but if any of you guys want to try something like this im sure you could find someone to do it with you. Yup we will need some agreeable guidlines. Once I see how the compaign runs under the new patch we can come up with some guidlines point wise. Their will be no changeing each others setup or units when we are changeing the AI forces and setup. What might be best somon is to give me some ideas on what guidlines you would like and I will give you the same. That way we will each have the kind of campaign we want. E-mail me about it tomorrow.

(in reply to Drake666)
Post #: 10
- 6/24/2000 8:39:00 PM   
Warhorse

I really like this idea, as soon as I can get some time.. think I will make some!! Some good things would be to tell the folks you send the file to be edited too are; MAP SIZE- with new 100x240 available, VERY nice for armored battles! AI OPPONENT-whether or not to stay with the original opponent, or new one, or to add another country with the original. TERRAIN PREFERENCE- we all know how the AI makes a map!;-) AI FORCE MAKE-UP-whether to have primarily infantry, armor, mixed or what have you. BATTLE TYPE- Assault, defense, meeting engagement. Probably more, but some ideas, what do you all think, I am really set on this idea! OH, if you do edit during a battle, as pointed out it will go back to turn 1, just use Fred Chlanda's editor to set the turn to the correct one! ------------------ Mike Amos Meine Ehre Heisst Treue

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

(in reply to Drake666)
Post #: 11
- 6/25/2000 3:59:00 AM   
Tombstone

I'll do this with someone... Drake666 are you already paired up with the first person who asked? If not, I'll do it.. I'm pretty familiar with the editor, and the sytem you're talking about. Otherwise, I'll try it out with anyone else who wants to. Tomo

(in reply to Drake666)
Post #: 12
- 6/25/2000 4:29:00 AM   
Drake666

Yup it looks like I will be doing this with sjuncal if he is still up for it. Some things that might hilp anyone who would like to try this with someone. Troop Type: Green, Adverage, Veterin or Elite Opponent: One country or a mix of two countries. Force Type: Larges part of force is Infantry Moterized Armoured Paratroops Garison Armoured Motorized Special: A force may have some or more thin normal Arty Air AA Engineers Recon Flame units mines Forts Spec Ops Lend Lease Assault Guns AT units Cavalry Partisons Ammo Trucks or Dumps HQ unit Naval forces (Arty, Landing craft, Sopport Craft) Other Special units

(in reply to Drake666)
Post #: 13
- 6/25/2000 5:55:00 AM   
sjuncal

quote:

Originally posted by Drake666: Yup it looks like I will be doing this with sjuncal if he is still up for it.
Yup, waiting on the patch to check things out and then buy my core force (which is always a long process for me) and deploy, I'll email you around then if that's agreeable.
quote:

Troop Type: Green, Adverage, Veterin or Elite Opponent: One country or a mix of two countries.
Type, I personally would like an unpredictable mix... I don't always want to be facing elite panzers; and some authenticity... I wouldn't expect to meet up with very many veteran or elite Tiger crews the first year they were introduced. As you can probably tell I tend to campaign with Allied troops... US and UK. The occasional odd ball force mix would be cool (I'm reminded of the Gerry bicycle division in Normandy). I'd definitely prefer some mixed nationalities... Italians early, Italian and Gerry in western Europe, and Gerry from Nomandy onward. Give my core some time to get experience before they have to start close assualting panzers This should be no trouble as I'll use the generated campaign and set the opponents 1/3rd Italian then 2/3rds German, some mix as the appropriet time frame would add variety. > Force Type: Larges part of force is Surprise me > Special: A force may have some or more thin > normal Ditto... As long as you don't go overboard , with human waves, and whole armored divisions or half the theater of operations worth of Naval and artillery support Okay here's what I'd like "GM'ing" (game mastering) my campaign to add: Force variety and mix as stated above. slightly less predictable V-hex locations, obviously I'll have already deployed so mass changes would be problematic but a little variety would be quite do-able. Fualty intel: that orchard/treeline/fence/etc. isn't supposed to be in the no mans land breaking up my perfect 16 hex wide killing field down the center of the map Don't change the basic battle type more then one increment (and in general leave it the way it is) occasionally make a defend a delay, a delay into a meeting engagment, and vice versa. Just for unpredictability. I'll have already gotten my support based on what general type of mission I'm facing. (wonder if there's any way to edit the battles so the player can re-deploy? Freds editor maybe?) On AIP defends, feel free to bolster their terrain, a gully or two, some (reasonable) fortifications... Don't want to slog through 3 or 4 gun casements, but a rifle pit, or an odd pillbox yes. Definitely surprise me with AIP setup. Question: in the scenario editor does setting an objective for a unit or formation, effect how the AI will use that unit? In other words if I set a recon unit to advance on an objective would it go there instead of detouring for the nearest V-hex? This alone could drastically improve the AI in campaigns. Does CC have to be on for this to work? I'm sure I'll think of more preferences... but think of them as preferences and not demands. Bottom line, I don't want either of us to feel put out, if we got something real life to do, then just plunk down the defualt force in a reasonable way, bolster it a touch and send it back. As far as mechanics of GM'ing go. The player should rename the files to whatever the GM will use (in my case scen000 replacing the tutorial so I don't have to scroll around to find it) and then rename it to saveXXX when he gets it back. Also should we zip the files?

(in reply to Drake666)
Post #: 14
- 6/25/2000 10:22:00 AM   
Warhorse

quote:

Originally posted by Tombstone: I'll do this with someone... Drake666 are you already paired up with the first person who asked? If not, I'll do it.. I'm pretty familiar with the editor, and the sytem you're talking about. Otherwise, I'll try it out with anyone else who wants to. Tomo
Tomo, I'll give it a shot as soon as the patch comes out, if you're still up for it?! I can be reached at either dasreich@attglobal.net, or mikea@thegamers.net, thanks ------------------ Mike Amos Meine Ehre Heisst Treue

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

(in reply to Drake666)
Post #: 15
- 6/27/2000 7:04:00 AM   
Tombstone

Yah, I'm still game. I'll send you my campaign game, after I set up my first battle. Do the same to me... Tomo

(in reply to Drake666)
Post #: 16
- 11/17/2001 11:09:00 PM   
generalrichmond

Anyone else still doing this? I did it with SP1 and really enjoyed it. Would like to do it again. Please email me if you are interested in scratching each other's back (so to speak!).. I *want* to do a decent long campaign.

(in reply to Drake666)
Post #: 17
- 11/17/2001 11:14:00 PM   
Alexandra

Isn't 7.0 supposed to include this feature as part of it? I'd heard that it was, I think. Alex

"Tonight a dynasty is born." Ricky Proehl, then of the Saint Louis Rams. He was right! Go Pats! Winners of Super Bowls 36, 38 and 39.

(in reply to Drake666)
Post #: 18
- 11/18/2001 12:46:00 AM   
Warhorse

I recently helped out a fellow doing this, and he did a set-up for me, with my rather large Bulgarian campaign, but haven't heard back from him in awhile...

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

(in reply to Drake666)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Looking for someone to run Campaign with Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI