Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Panther G Uhu?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Panther G Uhu? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Panther G Uhu? - 5/6/2004 2:47:57 AM   
Greywolf2001ca

What makes the Panther G Uhu so great? Nothing is said in its description.

That tank can see everything unlike other tanks, if shoots extremely precisely compared to normal panther G, etc. What in hell is that monster? :)

Also, what does "Uhu" stand for? I want to know because I never heard of that type of panther before Spwaw.

Oh, on the side, anyone knows if there is a demo mega campaign? I'm still curious to see what are those mcs. I don't want to spend so much money on a PIECE of a game, not a game itself, and find out I don't like it. Would be fun to have let's say a 5 turn mc, or something on a small map with a few strategic points to conquer, like a mini portion of one of the existing mc.
Post #: 1
RE: Panther G Uhu? - 5/6/2004 3:26:37 AM   
stevemk1a

Hi Greywolf2001ca!!

Info on the Panther G Uhu can be found here:

http://www.achtungpanzer.com/ir.htm

Uhu is basically a Panther with a primitive IR device that can see at night ... Unfortunately, in the game it can also see through smoke (unless 8.2 fixed this!) which was not historically the case!

EDIT ---> oh yea .. Uhu means owl in German (and apparently more properly applies to the IR spotlight mounted on an accompanying Spw251 halftrack which enables the IR capability on the Panther to be used to it's full range ...)

I don't believe there is any Mega Campaign demo available.

< Message edited by willy -- 5/5/2004 6:40:15 PM >

(in reply to Greywolf2001ca)
Post #: 2
RE: Panther G Uhu? - 5/6/2004 6:15:42 AM   
BruceAZ

Interesting. I did not know this. Thanks. I always thought the Uhu was German for "Ukg! Here comes another T-34!" or something like this...

Recon
Semper Fi

< Message edited by BruceAZ -- 5/5/2004 9:11:32 PM >

(in reply to stevemk1a)
Post #: 3
RE: Panther G Uhu? - 5/6/2004 8:23:16 AM   
FlashfyreSP

Everything you want to know (and just about all there is to know) about the Uhu system, it's use on Panthers and SdKfz 251s, and the Nachtjager squads (infantry with Sturmgewehr 44 assault rifles w/IR scopes) can be found here:

Nightfighting Panthers
The Last Panther in Pomerania

And for added enjoyment, visit The Bunker and check out the OOB modification available. It includes the Panther and SdKfz 251/20 Uhus, the SdKfz 251/1 Falke, and the Nachtjager squad, as well as the "SPERBER" combat group that could have been fielded by the summer of 1945.

(in reply to BruceAZ)
Post #: 4
RE: Panther G Uhu? - 5/6/2004 2:04:37 PM   
Greywolf2001ca

<--- Loves panthers

(in reply to FlashfyreSP)
Post #: 5
RE: Panther G Uhu? - 5/7/2004 1:49:49 AM   
Mangudai

I just did a couple quick tests with the Panther Uhu in small battles against the AI.
I'm not noticing an ability to see farther at night, or to see through smoke. How does this work? I put some halftrack 251s adjacent to the panthers and still didn't notice anything.

Post #: 6
RE: Panther G Uhu? - 5/7/2004 4:26:20 AM   
Greywolf2001ca

what happens with the Panther G Uhu is that it spots enemies much more easily than any other tanks... As for example, with my Uhus, I could see some infantry that even my own sturmpionere couldn't see.

<--- still play Panzer General 2 (spec. Ed. custom)

< Message edited by Greywolf2001ca -- 5/7/2004 2:23:13 AM >

(in reply to Mangudai)
Post #: 7
RE: Panther G Uhu? - 5/7/2004 4:42:41 AM   
stevemk1a

Mangudai wrote:
quote:

I just did a couple quick tests with the Panther Uhu in small battles against the AI.
I'm not noticing an ability to see farther at night, or to see through smoke. How does this work? I put some halftrack 251s adjacent to the panthers and still didn't notice anything.

I also just did a couple of test battles with Uhu's in both 8.1 and H2Hfr, and it looks like they've fixed the Uhu for ver 8.1 as it no longer sees through smoke ... I know it did in 7.1 and still does in H2Hfr!

Post #: 8
RE: Panther G Uhu? - 5/7/2004 4:55:11 AM   
john g

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mangudai

In the game you don't need the big infared transmitters that were used historically. The tanks play as if they have it built onto each tank. You get an automatic 10 vis from those tanks instead of the vis of the scenario. For games with a 2-3 vis (black of night) it is a killer, the UHU's will kill anything long before they are ever found. In a game with high vis they are no better than other Panthers.
thanks, John.

(in reply to Mangudai)
Post #: 9
RE: Panther G Uhu? - 5/9/2004 11:59:11 PM   
Mangudai

I'm running 8.1. I don't seem to be getting any improvement in night vis with Uhus, at least the vision cone is the same as for every other unit when visibility is set to 3.

(in reply to john g)
Post #: 10
RE: Panther G Uhu? - 5/10/2004 4:09:14 PM   
Voriax

Ok..the Uhu did have built-in infrared emitter. The one carried by the halftrack was larger and perhaps gave a longer vision range.
Earlier Uhu's were able to see through smoke due to a certain bug, to fix this its IR vision range was shortened to 3 hexes (fixed with 8.0). So only cases where you see any improvement over normal tanks are battles where visibility is 1 or 2.
I dunno what will happen with 8.2 but I think Uhu's IR vision should be increased to 5-6 which would be historically more correct.

Voriax

Oh God give Me strength to accept those things I cannot change with a firearm!

(in reply to Mangudai)
Post #: 11
RE: Panther G Uhu? - 5/10/2004 10:38:11 PM   
FlashfyreSP

To get the IR Vision hex range for a unit, divide this value by 4.
Example: Panther G Uhu has a vision value of 16. This means 4 hexes. However, the current values in 8.01 are incorrect, based on data from the 2 site I listed in my previous post.

The IR Vision values for the "Sperber" group units should be as follows:

• Panther G Uhu - IR Vision of 48 (12 hexes, or 600 meters)
  • SdKfz 251/20 Uhu - IR Vision of 96 (24 hexes, or 1200 meters)
  • SdKfz 251/1 Falke - IR Vision of 48 (12 hexes)
  • Nachtjager Infantry - IR Vision of 24 (6 hexes, or 300 meters)

The IR vision range supercedes the scenario's visibility value. However, the game is not capable of depicting the active IR system here. It was designed to utilize a passive IR system, where there is no emitting device. This makes the SdKfz 251/20 useless, since it's main purpose was to provide a farther "reach" of IR light for the Panther's converter to pick up. The game only cares what the unit's inherent IR Vision rating is -- not what any other unit's is.

(in reply to Voriax)
Post #: 12
RE: Panther G Uhu? - 5/13/2004 9:22:20 AM   
Mangudai

Where do you buy Nachtjager Infantry? I don't see them in June 45 or December 49.

(in reply to FlashfyreSP)
Post #: 13
RE: Panther G Uhu? - 5/14/2004 12:50:38 AM   
FlashfyreSP

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mangudai

Where do you buy Nachtjager Infantry? I don't see them in June 45 or December 49.

Only in my modified Czech OOB, available at The Bunker

The existence of the Nachtjager is debatable...a few old German soldiers claim to have been involved in the testing, and there are some pictures of the Vampir system in use on the Sturmgewehr 44 rifle, but no confirmed combat reports. Some sources say that a small group was deployed to Hungary during the closing days in 1945, but they remain unsubstantiated.

(in reply to Mangudai)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Panther G Uhu? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI