Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

HELP - SPOBEdit Hates Me!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> HELP - SPOBEdit Hates Me! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
HELP - SPOBEdit Hates Me! - 12/9/2001 7:16:00 AM   
Akmatov

It's been a while, but I have a little break here at the end of the semester between writing papers and was going to wallow in SPWAW for the first time in months.

Reloaded SPWAW and MEGA one - downloaded all the patches(my you guys have been busy) - went in to SPOBEdit to tweek the German units before starting the Campaign Game (got to warm up a bit before jumping into NA) - WHAM SPOPEdit no longer allows me to change values - HUH! In the Campaign Games I see no reason not to change things around to the way I think things should have been organized. After all I have lead this motley crew. For example, I prefer companies with 3 platoons each of three tanks each. But where I ran into a new problem is I also do a tiny bit of unit changing. For example, I take the SdKfz 251/2 and replace the mounted 80mm mortar with a more useful 120. I have also been known to sneak a flamethrower into an SS Sqd - so useful both on the battlefield and off. Not anymore I don't. SPOBEdit will let me change the weapons in a unit to anything I want BUT the HE and AP values don't change. It's like the values are hard-wired in place. Just to be sure, I changed the early war German Rifle Squad's primary weapon from the Kar 98 to the MP28 and went into the actual games. Weapon change showed up, but no change in HE values. What is wrong? Have I unwittingly screwed up something or is the new version of SPOBEdit lobotomized into uselessness? Info and advise would be GREATLY appreciated. I have to get back to the sixteenth century tomorrow, sigh, and would love to spend a little time clanging around and blowing things up.

Post #: 1
- 12/9/2001 8:41:00 AM   
Alby

You are using jim Bellos editor, or the one that comes with SPWAW?
The one that comes with the game works fine for me??

(in reply to Akmatov)
Post #: 2
- 12/9/2001 9:01:00 AM   
Akmatov

I'm using the one that was packaged along with the Mega Campaign CD.

(in reply to Akmatov)
Post #: 3
- 12/9/2001 9:09:00 AM   
Alby

That would be the basic editor...hmmm, not really sure, perhaps you are entering too high a value??
Im not really an oob editor expert, sorry I couldnt be more help, im sure someone who can be will be along with a post shortly. [ December 08, 2001: Message edited by: Alby ]

(in reply to Akmatov)
Post #: 4
- 12/9/2001 10:09:00 AM   
Akmatov

Thanks for the thoughts. You can select the weapon you want off a drop down - it's like a spreedsheet with the recalc turned off. You make the changes but the recalculation of values doesn't happen. I tried changing the 'crew' number in a squad from 10 to 20. Expected a higher HE value, no change.

(in reply to Akmatov)
Post #: 5
- 12/9/2001 10:39:00 AM   
Akmatov

Just for laughs I just uninstall SPWAW and all the patchs back to nothing and reinstalled off 5.0 off the CD. SPOBEdit is still broke. You can change any weapon in the unit you want, no recalc, no change, no function. I'm really disappointed. I buy CDs to support Matrix, but I play the campaign game with home brew units and formations - what if within the realm of possibility. Or rather I played the game. The only day for weeks when I could sort of justify sneaking off to SPWAW has now been wasted. I notice that Paul and others gets tense at the suggestion that there might be a BUG present. However, unless I'm doing something strangely wrong (not to likely as I've been doing this for years with SP - but possible as it has been a while since I could play), there seems to be a Bug here. And that within the definition of bug Paul was using, not something that a player wishes was there, but something that just doesn't work. Maybe it is something to do with my compter, which is very vanilla, as Aly said it worked for him. Confused and depressed.

(in reply to Akmatov)
Post #: 6
- 12/9/2001 11:00:00 AM   
john g

quote:

Originally posted by Akmatov:

Reloaded SPWAW and MEGA one - downloaded all the patches(my you guys have been busy) - went in to SPOBEdit to tweek the German units before starting the Campaign Game (got to warm up a bit before jumping into NA) - WHAM SPOPEdit no longer allows me to change values - HUH!

After changing the values did you do a save? If I recall back to last year when you exit and it prompts you to save or not, it doesn't do a save if you say yes, you still need to go ahead an do a save from the drop down menu. Any time I edited values, like the changed heat values for infantry at back in v5 I did the save as required, and it did indeed work.
thanks, John.

(in reply to Akmatov)
Post #: 7
- 12/9/2001 11:12:00 AM   
Akmatov

The problem occurs prior to the need to save. If for example, I go to the 1935-43 GE Inf Sqd and change their primary weapon from Kar 98k Rifle to a SMG and raise their strength from 10 to 20 men, there should be a change in primary weapon HE/AP value. Equally if I change the main gun on a tank, there should be a change in HE/AP values. Naturally, these changes wouldn't transfer into the actually game if I didn't save them. The problem in not my not saving the changes, but rather SPOBEdit's not recalculating unit values to reflect a change in weapondry or number of personnel. Thanks for the thought.

(in reply to Akmatov)
Post #: 8
- 12/9/2001 11:14:00 AM   
Warrior

Try deleting steel.prf from the Save folder, reboot and open the game. Close and try the Oob editor again.

Retreat is NOT an option.

(in reply to Akmatov)
Post #: 9
- 12/9/2001 11:46:00 AM   
Akmatov

Thanks for the idea, but no dice

(in reply to Akmatov)
Post #: 10
- 12/9/2001 11:58:00 AM   
john g

quote:

Originally posted by Akmatov:
The problem occurs prior to the need to save. If for example, I go to the 1935-43 GE Inf Sqd and change their primary weapon from Kar 98k Rifle to a SMG and raise their strength from 10 to 20 men, there should be a change in primary weapon HE/AP value. Equally if I change the main gun on a tank, there should be a change in HE/AP values. Naturally, these changes wouldn't transfer into the actually game if I didn't save them. The problem in not my not saving the changes, but rather SPOBEdit's not recalculating unit values to reflect a change in weapondry or number of personnel. Thanks for the thought.
In the oob editor the he and ap values shown are the amount of ammo the unit carries, if you change to a different weapon, you get are not changing the basic load of ammo, just it's caliber. So if a unit carrying rifles has 80 he rounds, and you change them to smg, then they will still have 80 rounds of he for their smg. If you want to check the weapon values, go to the weapon tab and there you can edit the specific weapon values, like setting the smg to a greater he kill value. The values you see for he and ap have nothing to do with the number of men in the unit, they simply represent the amount of ammo the unit has. Of course if you change a unit with 10 men to one with 20 you will have twice the number firing, each equipped with that amount of ammo.
thanks, John.

(in reply to Akmatov)
Post #: 11
- 12/9/2001 12:47:00 PM   
Akmatov

John, I may be an idiot. Went into the Game Manual p109, you are totally right and I have been really barking up the wrong tree. Apologies for mentioning the B-word, totally undeserved. And thanks a lot John.

(in reply to Akmatov)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> HELP - SPOBEdit Hates Me! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI