Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The new improved 8.1 oob thread

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> The new improved 8.1 oob thread Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The new improved 8.1 oob thread - 3/4/2004 9:13:17 PM   
BulletMagnet

Ok guys the other thread is a mess.SO i will atempt to start a new CIVIL one where we can all find our happy place.No rock throwing,no smack talkin,No crap slingin.The OObs and nothing but the oobs so help us god.
Carry on.

"What we do in life,echoes in eternity"
Post #: 1
RE: The new improved 8.1 oob thread - 3/4/2004 9:16:10 PM   
Kevin E. Duguay

Is the SU-37 SPG in the Russian OOB gone yet? I have a nice Icon from I think Warhorse for a nice SU-45

KED

(in reply to BulletMagnet)
Post #: 2
RE: The new improved 8.1 oob thread - 3/5/2004 2:50:11 AM   
Major Destruction

Quick replies before this one gets locked too.

The M19 mortar according to my information (which is open to discussion) did not see active service in WW2. As a unit that is classed as light mortar, it can be modelled for use in the same manner as any other light mortar, including those with bipods and those without. There is no distinction in the game.
Now, your suggestion of placing the weapon into airborne or special services units as a secondary infantry weapon has merit. This would entail creating a new weapon in the weapons list (not impossible) and using it in units after May 1945.

The SU-37 is still in the game. But that is not carved in stone.
What is the icon number for Mike's SU-47 icon? It would be nice if it were 590.

Calliope: This unit was removed from the onboard assets before version 2. It was found to not work properly as onboard unit in the earlier beta versions. There may have been other issues but as this decision was so long ago, I don't remember or have the relevant email discussion. Scenario designers can use this unit as an onboard asset by editing their OOB to give the unit onboard SP Rocket class (110) then purchase and deploy the unit. This is made possible by placing the icon in the game.

They struggled with a ferocity that was to be expected of brave men fighting with forlorn hope against an enemy who had the advantage of position......knowing that courage was the one thing that would save them.

Julius Caesar, 57 BC

(in reply to Kevin E. Duguay)
Post #: 3
RE: The new improved 8.1 oob thread - 3/5/2004 7:09:20 PM   
Kevin E. Duguay

Major,

Im off to the local library to grab that book by I.V. Hogg, about the M19. In the mean time this is info from the ASL Rule Book. Their research is usually verry well done so here goes.

Text:
M19 60mm Mortar: Also known as the T18E6, this was a lighter, simplified version of the M2. Only a small number were made, and were issued to a few airborne and special purpose units. The M19 used the same tube as the M2, but had a much smaller baseplate and no bipod. It also differed from the M2 by being trigger-fired.

Range, Min-2 Max-15 Could only use charge 1 with small baseplate.

Ammo, Same as M2, HE WP IR

Available from January 1944 to end of WW II and beyond.

More from Bruce N. Canfield's; U.S. Infantry Weapons of World War II

The successful use by the Japanese of their "knee mortar" resulted in some modifications of the 60mm mortar in an attempt to come up with a similar type of weapon.

Canfield then goes on to describe how the Japanese mortar worked and why it should not be fired from the knee. The next paragraph talks about how some troops used the standard M2 tube only to save weight. In this paragraph He mentions a passage from the book "Band of Brothers" where the mortars were used in such a way.

" Malarkey found his mortar tube, but not the base plate or tripod (sic). Setting the tube on the ground, he fired a dozen rounds toward the Manor. Guarnere joined him, working another mortar tube. They discovered later that every round hit its target. "That kind of expertise you don't teach," Winters commented. " It's a God-given touch." When Malarkey ran out of mortar rounds, his tube was almost compleatly buried. An old French farmer got a shovel to help him dig it out."

He continues: The above passage not withstanding, the mortar was rarely used in such a fashion as any sort of accuracy was extremely problematical when the weapon was used without the mount and sight.

In order to improve this situation, the M19 60mm mortar was standardized later in the war. The M19 consisted of the standard M2 60mm mortar barrel with a cap that contained a specially designed trigger mechanism. this trigger mechanism was activated by a lanyard and permitted the mortar to be lever fired rather than drop fired, as was done with the standard mortar. This resulted in better accuracy than simply useing the standard mortar in the drop fire mode,(without baseplate sights etc. KED) but lack of sights and a steady base made it less effective than the M2 mortar. The M19 was not fielded in extremely large numbers because it was not accurate at ranges much beyond 200 yards. It's compactness and light weight made it a useful weapon in certain types of close range combat, but the standard M2 mortar with either the M2 or M5 mount and collimator sight was much more accurate and deadly to the enemy."

I'll quote I.V. Hogg next if you like.

Saving my ammo for later, but I need a response. Thank you and GOOOD DAY

I will repeat myself again, why have two weapons with the exact same stats that differ in name only? What would be wrong with including the short range version of the 60mm mortar (M19) that would reflect it's intended use?

< Message edited by Kevin E. Duguay -- 3/6/2004 12:19:04 PM >

KED

(in reply to Major Destruction)
Post #: 4
RE: The new improved 8.1 oob thread - 3/5/2004 7:19:08 PM   
Kevin E. Duguay

Mike's SU-45 will have to be given its own slot. I do have the Icon however.

Calliope: I have seen ranges posted by others in this forum for this weapon ranging from 1100 to 4000 yds. Either way it should be brought back as an on board artillery asset because of this fact alone. Even at 4000 yds it would become useless on some of the larger maps.
( 22 to 80 hex range )

I'll try to get more info on this thing too!

KED

Post #: 5
RE: The new improved 8.1 oob thread - 3/5/2004 11:01:40 PM   
Alby

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kevin E. Duguay

Calliope: I have seen ranges posted by others in this forum for this weapon ranging from 1100 to 4000 yds. Either way it should be brought back as an on board artillery asset because of this fact alone. Even at 4000 yds it would become useless on some of the larger maps.
( 22 to 80 hex range )

germans , ruskies, USMC, and brits get their on board rockets,
why not the USA??

added the USMC

< Message edited by Alby -- 3/8/2004 10:21:11 AM >

Post #: 6
RE: The new improved 8.1 oob thread - 3/5/2004 11:48:29 PM   
Kevin E. Duguay

GOOD POINT!!!!!

KED

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 7
RE: The new improved 8.1 oob thread - 3/5/2004 11:50:41 PM   
Kevin E. Duguay

Major,

Book has been out, I'm mad I had it in my hand and let it go!! Read above posts!!

KED

Post #: 8
RE: The new improved 8.1 oob thread - 3/6/2004 12:37:44 AM   
Frank W.

(post moved to"Bitch & Moan" thread")

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 3/6/2004 1:29:33 AM >

Post #: 9
RE: The new improved 8.1 oob thread - 3/6/2004 1:08:12 AM   
KG Erwin

Whoa, Alby--the USMC DOES have on-board rockets--these are the 22-hex/1100 yard short-range Mk7s I mentioned. The truck-mounted ones aren't available though, until April 1945. They were only used on Okinawa.
However, we also have LCTs equipped with these beginning in January 1944. Of necessity, these have to venture close to shore to be effective, but will also be within range of enemy shore batteries and mortars. Hazardous duty, indeed.
The long range 4.5s are still there, too, for off-board support.
Stuart or Bryan will have to address the "medium-range" rockets for the US Army. The Marines apparently didn't have these made available to them. They only had the "in your face" or safely distant versions.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alby

quote:

( 22 to 80 hex range )

germans , ruskies, and brits get their on board rockets,
why not the USA??

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 3/5/2004 6:11:07 PM >

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 10
RE: The new improved 8.1 oob thread - 3/6/2004 1:13:02 AM   
harlekwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

Whoa, Alby--the USMC DOES have on-board rockets--these are the 22-hex/1100 yard short-range Mk7s I mentioned. The truck-mounted ones aren't available though, until April 1945. They were only used on Okinawa.
However, we also have LCTs equipped with these beginning in January 1944. Of necessity, these have to venture close to shore to be effective, but will also be within range of enemy shore batteries and mortars. Hazardous duty, indeed.
The long range 4.5s are still there, too, for off-board support.

quote:

quote:

( 22 to 80 hex range )

why not the USA??

The USMC is NOT the USA(United States Army).

The USA had the units and the units had the ability and were in fact used during Cobra and beyond.

< Message edited by harlekwin -- 3/5/2004 6:14:27 PM >

$ociali$m-from those who will to those who won't.....

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 11
RE: The new improved 8.1 oob thread - 3/6/2004 1:20:33 AM   
KG Erwin

No, they aren't, Sven, and I'm certain the USMC would never wish to be. (That smiley is in memory of Marine legend "Chesty Puller", and infers nothing else).
Bryan or Stuart will have to step up and discuss what the US Army has available.

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 3/5/2004 6:23:52 PM >

(in reply to harlekwin)
Post #: 12
RE: The new improved 8.1 oob thread - 3/6/2004 1:28:06 AM   
JJKettunen

(post moved to "Bitch & Moan " thread)

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 3/5/2004 6:39:19 PM >

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 13
RE: The new improved 8.1 oob thread - 3/6/2004 1:31:27 AM   
Rune Iversen

(post moved to "Bitch & Moan" thread)

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 3/5/2004 6:41:07 PM >

(in reply to JJKettunen)
Post #: 14
RE: The new improved 8.1 oob thread - 3/6/2004 1:41:37 AM   
BulletMagnet

(Bullet Magnet: I took care of it.)

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 3/5/2004 6:42:24 PM >

"What we do in life,echoes in eternity"

(in reply to Rune Iversen)
Post #: 15
RE: The new improved 8.1 oob thread - 3/6/2004 1:52:40 AM   
harlekwin

Well since evidently the "B+M about the OOBs" thread is going to be a repository of the unwashed masses and likely ignored I will post a post I made there here as it is a serious one and I welcome any input or analysis of my point by the washed masses as well as we unwashed.

Please feel free to opine.

I have been pondering the 150mm Pen of the 76.2 HEAT round for Ivan and it got me to thinking.....

The game does not properly model the wildly variable nature of HEAT penetration. A deviation of as little as 10% in the jet degrades penetration 30% or so IIRC.(I will dig up a table if able) Anyway point of impact and the surface have a lot to do with how the jet forms.

I understand that the engine will not handle and the model is NOT equipped to factor in deviations in point of impact rendering an effect on the formation of the jet, but my concern with the radical pen increase is that if anything barring a randomizer the drive should be to underrate not overrate HEAT rounds. Don't misunderstand I am not advocating a reduction in existing HEAT round stats but the radical increase leads to a performance that is in no way indicative of reality at all and has a chilling effect on tactics.

All of the powers understood the ease with which the era's heat rounds could have their damage reduced and took field expedient measures to do so. The game does not and cannot render the wildly variable nature of these expedients so what we are left with is a vastly overrated heat round engaging NO counter measures. I am not at this late date in the life of SPWAW advocating a radical shift just explaining the reasoning behind my resistance to the 150mm penetration.

HEAT rounds pen is given for a flush hit center mass on a body of steel. That happens like oh "never". I wish it did but wish in one hand and .....

you get the idea....

Believe me if it were that easy SABOT would never have been invented.

< Message edited by harlekwin -- 3/5/2004 6:52:25 PM >

(in reply to BulletMagnet)
Post #: 16
RE: The new improved 8.1 oob thread - 3/6/2004 2:09:27 AM   
Goblin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Frank W.

quote:

GOOD POINT!!!!!

the "tiger kiddies" - (c) by ammo sgt. -
will not agree

Guess this one qualifies as OK for this thread....

Goblin

(in reply to Frank W.)
Post #: 17
RE: The new improved 8.1 oob thread - 3/6/2004 2:09:45 AM   
KG Erwin

Yes, thank you, harlekwin. Your knowledge is a valuable resource, and everyone on the team realizes this. The team is reading this forum.

(in reply to harlekwin)
Post #: 18
RE: The new improved 8.1 oob thread - 3/6/2004 2:12:08 AM   
KG Erwin

Goblin, you're a good friend of mine, so don't feel bashful. If you have facts and sources to back them up, then post away.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Goblin

quote:

quote:

GOOD POINT!!!!!

will not agree

Goblin

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 19
RE: The new improved 8.1 oob thread - 3/6/2004 2:17:04 AM   
Goblin

Fact : If anyone of a number of certain people posted what Frank did, the post would have been moved or deleted already. Consider this recieving a complaint about it, because I am officially complaining about its irrelevant nature.

Goblin

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 20
RE: The new improved 8.1 oob thread - 3/6/2004 2:29:32 AM   
KG Erwin

Complaint noted, Eric.

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 21
RE: The new improved 8.1 oob thread - 3/6/2004 2:33:47 AM   
Voriax

quote:

GOOD POINT!!!!!

Nonsense

If range stats (as they seem so) suggest that an unit must be an on-map unit the do so,

If americans must have on map rockets because others have the do _not_ give them those rockets.

Voriax

< Message edited by Voriax -- 3/6/2004 2:31:06 AM >

Oh God give Me strength to accept those things I cannot change with a firearm!

Post #: 22
RE: The new improved 8.1 oob thread - 3/6/2004 2:49:20 AM   
harlekwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Voriax

quote:

GOOD POINT!!!!!

Nonsense

If range stats (as they seem so) suggest that an unit must be an on-map unit the do so,

If americans must have on map rockets because others have the do _not_ give them those rockets.

Voriax

I fail to see why a group wanting equanimity of rocket representation is unacceptable if the statistical performance envelope is similar is "beyond the pale".

Surely you recall the war over the Nebelwerfer and the Wulfram?

(in reply to Voriax)
Post #: 23
RE: The new improved 8.1 oob thread - 3/6/2004 3:01:47 AM   
Major Destruction

quote:

why not the USA??

Not exactly. The British tank mounted rocket unit was removed.
I don't rmember the reason, but they have been gone for a long time.

They struggled with a ferocity that was to be expected of brave men fighting with forlorn hope against an enemy who had the advantage of position......knowing that courage was the one thing that would save them.

Julius Caesar, 57 BC

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 24
RE: The new improved 8.1 oob thread - 3/6/2004 3:37:21 AM   
JJKettunen

Let's see how quickly this post is deleted or moved...

I tested a Prokhorovka scenario of mine with SPWAW 8.1, and was quite suprised that during the battle late model Stukas made perfect runs against T-34s, which were speeding full ahead, while visibility was poorish (20), and more importantly battlefield was filled with smoke from Soviet arty. I was expecting that at least some of the strikes would go astray, but no, all four planes destroyed a T-34 each with their first runs. After some more experimenting I read the OOB-notes, which said "all aircrafts were improved". Then I checked the OOBs with the editor, and it showed that whereas 7.1 OOB had Fire Control of 15, and Range Finder of 0 for this plane, 8.1 OOB has values of 35 and 30, respectively.

Astounded by this dramatic change, which seemed to me to based on old myths of Tac Bomber effectiveness, I thought I had to post about it at this forum, with the excerpt from "Flying Guns: World War II" by Tony Williams, reposted below. By the time I expected some kind of response from the fine gentlemen of the OOB-team, but none came, excluding RockinHarry's concern about splash damage. I sincerely do hope that aircraft performance values would be reconsidered for the next version.

"The fighter-bomber pilots pressed home their attacks with great
courage throughout the campaign despite the often ferocious light FlaK
which caused loss rates far above those experienced by fighter units
(one Typhoon squadron suffered 100% casualties in an eighteen-month
period). They were confident that any German tank they spotted was as
good as dead, and they earned a considerable reputation for tank
killing, with substantial claims being accepted. However, British
operational research (OR) carried out at the time (but not publicised
for obvious reasons) presented a more complex picture. As the Allies
were advancing, intelligence officers were often able to examine a
battlefield shortly after an air attack, and what they discovered
causes controversy even today. (Much of this section is taken from Ian
Gooderson's "Air Power at the Battlefront", which explores this issue
in great detail).

The evidence gathered by the OR teams indicated that very few tanks
were destroyed by air attack. A British War Office analysis of 223
Panther tanks destroyed in 1944 revealed that only fourteen resulted
from air attack (eleven to RPs and three to aircraft cannon). During
the Mortain battle of 7-10 August, the RAF and USAAF launched
sustained attacks on a German armoured column over a period of six
hours, claiming 252 German tanks destroyed or damaged in nearly 500
sorties. It was subsequently discovered that there had only been a
total of 177 tanks or tank destroyers deployed by the Germans and just
46 of those were lost, of which only nine could be attributed to air
attack (seven to RPs and two to bombs). During the German retreat from
the Falaise pocket later in August, the RAF and USAAF claimed 391
armoured vehicles destroyed. Shortly afterwards, the battlefield was
examined and only 133 armoured vehicles of all types were found, of
which just 33 had been the victim of any sort of air attack. In the
retreat to the Seine, large numbers of armoured vehicles were left
behind and Typhoon pilots alone claimed 222 destroyed, but only
thirteen out of 388 AFVs examined were found to have been knocked out
by RP attack. In the Ardennes salient, just seven out of 101
knocked-out AFVs were definitely or possibly attributed to air attack,
compared with claims for 90. It should be noted that in the prevailing
circumstances of a continuing retreat, there was no question of the
German Army having recovered any damaged tanks in these later actions,
in fact the battlefields were often littered with undamaged tanks
abandoned by their crews.

One source estimates that probably no more than about 100 tanks were
lost due to hits from air weapons during the entire Normandy campaign.
In contrast, the RAF's 2nd TAF (including elements of the Air Defence
of Britain which took part in the campaign) and the USAAF's 9th Air
Force lost over 1,700 aircraft between them.

The ineffectiveness of air attack against tanks should have caused no
surprise because the weapons available to the fighter-bombers were not
suitable for destroying them. Put simply, the heavy machine guns and
20 mm cannon were capable of hitting the tanks easily enough, but
insufficiently powerful to damage them, except occasionally by chance.
The RPs and bombs used were certainly capable of destroying the tanks
but were too inaccurate to hit them, except occasionally by chance."

Jyri Kettunen

The eternal privilege of those who never act themselves: to interrogate, be dissatisfied, find fault.

- A. Solzhenitsyn

(in reply to Major Destruction)
Post #: 25
RE: The new improved 8.1 oob thread - 3/6/2004 11:12:46 AM   
Voriax

quote:

ORIGINAL: harlekwin

I fail to see why a group wanting equanimity of rocket representation is unacceptable if the statistical performance envelope is similar is "beyond the pale".

Surely you recall the war over the Nebelwerfer and the Wulfram?

I do remember

What I was actually commenting is that some requests for US on map rockets are in a form of : "They have them, so we must have them also"

And as I said, the ranges seem to be so that they belong to the map. So do so, I have no problems with it.

Voriax

Oh God give Me strength to accept those things I cannot change with a firearm!

(in reply to harlekwin)
Post #: 26
RE: The new improved 8.1 oob thread - 3/6/2004 3:11:15 PM   
Frank W.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Goblin

quote:

quote:

GOOD POINT!!!!!

sorry, wrong thread

will not agree

Goblin
wrong thread as it seems, sorry...

< Message edited by Frank W. -- 3/6/2004 2:08:07 PM >

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 27
RE: The new improved 8.1 oob thread - 3/6/2004 5:15:44 PM   
BryanMelvin

The Aircraft issues are being fixed as well as the Rocket issues according to your suggestions as are many other things

(in reply to Voriax)
Post #: 28
RE: The new improved 8.1 oob thread - 3/6/2004 5:26:38 PM   
JJKettunen

quote:

ORIGINAL: BryanMelvin

The Aircraft issues are being fixed as well as the Rocket issues according to your suggestions as are many other things

Well that's more like it!

I was about to repost my concerns about gun performance values of T-34s and Tigers, but I'd guess, and hope, you are already working on it.

Jyri Kettunen

The eternal privilege of those who never act themselves: to interrogate, be dissatisfied, find fault.

- A. Solzhenitsyn

(in reply to BryanMelvin)
Post #: 29
RE: The new improved 8.1 oob thread - 3/6/2004 5:29:14 PM   
harlekwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Keke

quote:

ORIGINAL: BryanMelvin

Well that's more like it!

I was about to repost my concerns about gun performance values of T-34s and Tigers, but I'd guess, and hope, you are already working on it.

patience and forebearance.....

(in reply to JJKettunen)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> The new improved 8.1 oob thread Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI