Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Completly erronous combat results.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Tech Support >> Completly erronous combat results. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Completly erronous combat results. - 7/11/2004 3:37:13 AM   
Nomad

This was a problem in UV and again in WitP. Playing as the Allies in the Marianas senario. Got a turn back and the
combat save would not run. The map would load and then it went back to the main screen. I reinstalled and patched
the game and the Combatsave ran. But the results were complely incorrect. In the combat save and combatresult it
shows that I captured Pagan but when I go to the game file to input orders, Pagan is still controlled by Japan. My
opponent said that I had 1-1 odds at both Pagan and Saipan but the combat results showed 0-1 at Saipan and 3-1
at Pagan with a capture. We can probable come up with some save games.
Post #: 1
RE: Completly erronous combat results. - 7/11/2004 3:42:29 AM   
Tankerace

Once again, I think its a FOW issue. Every thing is underestimated or exagerated with FOW. If you want accurate results (kills, hits, and odds) play w/o FOW. At least that is what my experience is.

Designer of War Plan Orange
Allied Naval OOBer of Admiral's Edition
Naval Team Lead for War in the Med

Author of Million-Dollar Barrage: American Field Artillery in the Great War coming soon from OU Press.

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 2
RE: Completly erronous combat results. - 7/11/2004 3:50:53 AM   
Nomad

If this is FoW then it is cr@p. FoW is how many aircraft are shot down, how much damage you inflict and such. Base capture should not be subject to FoW. If it is, then I guess I have a $70.00 frisbee.

(in reply to Tankerace)
Post #: 3
RE: Completly erronous combat results. - 7/11/2004 4:10:02 AM   
2Stepper

It's not. Hit data/kills, etc is subject to FOW. Base captures are final. Though I suspect the details of them (casualties) would be subject to FOW still... But a base shouldn't stay the same because of it...

Almost sounds like something went awry with the save file after your patch... Unsure... I wouldn't uninstall just yet though. I'm 4 weeks into the big scenario and am in gaming nirvana with WiTP.

"Send in the Infantry. Tanks cost money... the dead cost nothing..." :)

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 4
RE: Completly erronous combat results. - 7/11/2004 4:37:58 AM   
dpstafford

quote:

ORIGINAL: 2Stepper
Almost sounds like something went awry with the save file after your patch... Unsure... I wouldn't uninstall just yet though. I'm 4 weeks into the big scenario and am in gaming nirvana with WiTP.

No. The original poster is correct. This happens all the time in UV. And I have already seen it happen in WITP. The replay shows a base has fallen--the game file shows that it has not. Very disturbing when it happens.

(in reply to 2Stepper)
Post #: 5
RE: Completly erronous combat results. - 7/11/2004 4:48:48 AM   
2Stepper

quote:

ORIGINAL: dpstafford

quote:

No. The original poster is correct. This happens all the time in UV. And I have already seen it happen in WITP. The replay shows a base has fallen--the game file shows that it has not. Very disturbing when it happens.

You would be correct! That would bother the heck out of me! I've had UV since release and NEVER seen something like this occur. Nor have I yet in WiTP. LORDY! Would hate to see something like that occur. Still though... makes me wonder how the game is running at that point and if you shouldn't go back a day/turn. Cause something obviously blew up... Ah well... STILL love this game though. Couldn't be happier.

< Message edited by 2Stepper -- 7/10/2004 8:49:13 PM >

(in reply to dpstafford)
Post #: 6
RE: Completly erronous combat results. - 7/11/2004 4:53:48 AM   
Mr.Frag

This is NOT FoW, this is the results of the options not being locked screwing with the results.

A patch is in test right now. Give us a bit ... MAKE sure for now that you SET your options, exit, start and load your save until you are patched.

(in reply to 2Stepper)
Post #: 7
RE: Completly erronous combat results. - 7/11/2004 5:18:23 AM   
dpstafford

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag

This is NOT FoW, this is the results of the options not being locked screwing with the results.

A patch is in test right now. Give us a bit ... MAKE sure for now that you SET your options, exit, start and load your save until you are patched.

I'm going to have to disagree. It can't have anything to do with the option locking--because it happens in UV and that game has no option locking problem.

Glad to hear that a patch (for option locking) is in the works.

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 8
RE: Completly erronous combat results. - 7/11/2004 5:54:20 AM   
Mr.Frag

quote:

I'm going to have to disagree. It can't have anything to do with the option locking--because it happens in UV and that game has no option locking problem.

You can disagree all you want. Having spent upwards of 3 weeks with one of the programmers to resolve the UV/WitP combat mismatch problem, I know it when I see it.

The real problem right now is that the realism options and the options page turn length is getting completely reset during each PBEM and if the player doesn't reset these pages before loading the save, they have screwed the game up.

(in reply to dpstafford)
Post #: 9
RE: Completly erronous combat results. - 7/11/2004 6:09:26 AM   
dpstafford

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag
You can disagree all you want. Having spent upwards of 3 weeks with one of the programmers to resolve the UV/WitP combat mismatch problem, I know it when I see it.

Unless you are saying that UV still has the option locking problem (which I don't believe it does--and I've played 1000's of PBEM turns), then I have to wonder just what you were doing for those 3 weeks. You certainly weren't fixing this problem.

Let me just add that I hope you are right. Otherwise this problem will NEVER be fixed in WITP just as it was never fixed in UV.

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 10
RE: Completly erronous combat results. - 7/11/2004 6:19:36 AM   
Nomad

I can attest that UV still has the problem. A few weeks ago I had a turn as Allies where my combat report showed an attack on a convoy at Nouema with two ships sunk. When I opened the turn, no ships were even damaged.

I got the combat save to work. Every switch has to be set exactly right or no go. I was able to get various
results. :) My opponent sent me his combat report and I finally found the one switch I was not setting right( Japan
Sub Doctrine , kept putting it at off when it had to be on ).

Thanks Frag, hope they find the fix soon.

(in reply to dpstafford)
Post #: 11
RE: Completly erronous combat results. - 7/11/2004 6:21:43 AM   
SunDevil_MatrixForum

Hopefully the game still works, and you haven't used it for a frisbee yet. :)

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 12
RE: Completly erronous combat results. - 7/11/2004 6:23:22 AM   
2Stepper

Well, UV MAY still have this problem, but if it does I can assure you it's an amazingly small percentage of occurances... I've NEVER seen it in 2 plus yrs of gameplay.

(in reply to SunDevil_MatrixForum)
Post #: 13
RE: Completly erronous combat results. - 7/11/2004 6:25:58 AM   
Nomad

quote:

ORIGINAL: SunDevil

Hopefully the game still works, and you haven't used it for a frisbee yet. :)

I did a DD and burned two copies. I can always let the dog play with one of them. :)

As far as whether the game is running right, who knows? This is my first PBEM of WitP and I really do not know
what is supposed to happen. I am having fun but I think I made a mistake going
for Pagan and Saipan at the same time. Only time will tell.

(in reply to SunDevil_MatrixForum)
Post #: 14
RE: Completly erronous combat results. - 7/11/2004 6:29:55 AM   
Nomad

quote:

Well, UV MAY still have this problem, but if it does I can assure you it's an amazingly small percentage of occurances... I've NEVER seen it in 2 plus yrs of gameplay.

I bought UV the day it was available and paid for overnight shipping. I have played a number of PBEM games and have
seen it occasionally. Oddly enough with three different computers( I upgrade often ). It does not happen that
much, but when it does it can be unnerving. One thing, there have been times I have had an unsynced turn that
you could not really tell unless you had the Japanese combat report. So I ask, have you had one but did not
realize that you did?

(in reply to 2Stepper)
Post #: 15
RE: Completly erronous combat results. - 7/11/2004 7:11:19 AM   
Gilligan

Hey Frag,

Am I reading your last comment right? If my opponent and I are having the same problem (the combat report I read is completely different than the replay I am watching), then our game is forever hosed? Or do we just continue playing until it gets patched?

Also, do we both need to reset options before we load, or just the allied player?

As it stands right now, when I, as the Allies, get the report and load it in, I am seeing things that aren't really happening in our game. We are only on 12-8-41 so it wouldn't be a complete loss if we had to start over. I know for a fact I haven't reset my options to those used for our PBEM game, and I doubt my opponent has either.

Considering we decided to get crazy and try the vary set up option, getting OP INFIELD with his having 3 CV tore up badly and my Lady Lex taking on water from 5 torps, I think we might be ok with a restart...although I would trade 1 for 3 personally

BTW, my turn to say thanks for all your help on the forums. I, speaking for myself only, do greatly appreciate it. Hope we can play a PBEM someday too

Gilligan

< Message edited by Gilligan -- 7/10/2004 9:14:36 PM >

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 16
RE: Completly erronous combat results. - 7/11/2004 7:14:55 AM   
Mr.Frag

quote:

Unless you are saying that UV still has the option locking problem

UV has a completely unrelated problem with not protecting that Random Seed that produces the results which allows each time it gets run to come up with completely different results. Different problem, nothing to do with WitP. It had been permanently fixed in WitP.

As far as what I have been doing for three weeks ... mostly answering silly questions

(in reply to dpstafford)
Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Tech Support >> Completly erronous combat results. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI