Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Preview on Wargamer...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Ancients] >> Tin Soldiers: Alexander the Great >> Preview on Wargamer... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Preview on Wargamer... - 7/13/2004 5:34:59 PM   
Deride

Wargamer.com preview here.

Deride
Post #: 1
RE: Preview on Wargamer... - 7/14/2004 9:22:16 PM   
Deride

BTW,

I think Sean did a great job in this preview. He hit a lot of the finer points in how we have tried to develop the game. We want to immurse the player in the theme of the game -- Alexander the Great -- while providing an easy to use battle system. Under the covers, it is much more complex, but we want to hide a lot of that from the player so that he is not burdened by such calculations, etc.

The best analogy I can think of is playing AD&D. If you play the game "by hand", there are just so many rules that you don't tend to follow all of them. When computer-based versions of AD&D game out, there were still these calculations, but you didn't have to worry about them most of the time. For example, who would check how encumbered their character was when finding items to take with them? But, with a computer-based program, this can be done easily.

Deride

(in reply to Deride)
Post #: 2
RE: Preview on Wargamer... - 7/17/2004 7:10:20 PM   
Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deride

Under the covers, it is much more complex, but we want to hide a lot of that from the player so that he is not burdened by such calculations, etc.

That makes sense, of course.

But... could you include details (including combat tables, full unit stats, etc) of precisely what is happening in the documentation please ? I've come across instances before when this wasn't done, and it can be infuriating.

(in reply to Deride)
Post #: 3
RE: Preview on Wargamer... - 7/19/2004 4:46:35 PM   
Deride

Hertston,

We do intend to have, at least, some of the combat tables in the manual -- especially in regard to the tables that tell you what bonuses you get for each type of attack. However, there are somethings that probably won't go in there. (For example, we have something we call a "lucky shot" -- i.e., if you get really unlucky rolls, you still get to hit.)

Deride

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Ancients] >> Tin Soldiers: Alexander the Great >> Preview on Wargamer... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI