Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Airdrops designed in v7.1

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Airdrops designed in v7.1 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Airdrops designed in v7.1 - 1/29/2002 7:38:00 PM   
Warrior

Any other designer's been having a problem with airdrops in v7.1? I've had this happen in two scenarios I'm working on: I get my airdrop all set and nice, coming in when, where, and out of the direction they're supposed to, but after I save - especially if I've gone back to the editor to change something else - my paras now hit pretty much where they want, coming from any old direction. Even after re-setting them the right way and saving, they still won't hold to my plan, arriving from random directions (though all on the right turn). Considering I have them drop in a certain way to avoid AA fire, this is a real pain. I've had to forget the drop and just deploy them on the map to arrive at their initial objectives on foot at about the right turn. Is it me, or v7.1???

Retreat is NOT an option.

Post #: 1
- 1/29/2002 11:43:00 PM   
Warrior

Hoping for a response and bumping.

(in reply to Warrior)
Post #: 2
- 1/30/2002 12:35:00 AM   
Redleg

Airdrops under AI control enter from any direction it wants them to. The drops under human control obey the directions ok in all I have tried. In AI vs AI testing, even what would be the human side enter randomly like this. Hope this helps a bit.

(in reply to Warrior)
Post #: 3
- 1/30/2002 2:33:00 AM   
Warrior

quote:

Originally posted by Redleg:
Airdrops under AI control enter from any direction it wants them to. The drops under human control obey the directions ok in all I have tried. In AI vs AI testing, even what would be the human side enter randomly like this. Hope this helps a bit.
I have had the AI fail to drop before, one or more planes out a flight perhaps, but never come onto the map from a random direction after I had designed a particular approach path. And it continued to do what it wanted even after I had re-set and re-saved. Considering I had the planes overloaded, allowing them to come on will-nilly according to a silicone whim is not acceptable, since half the troops could end up off the map. Perhaps I've just been lucky in the past. [ January 29, 2002: Message edited by: Warrior ]

(in reply to Warrior)
Post #: 4
- 1/30/2002 6:58:00 AM   
Alby

My airdrops have come in from any direction they want in Online games for many versions now.
Not sure about scenarios.

(in reply to Warrior)
Post #: 5
- 1/30/2002 11:02:00 AM   
Wild Bill

No final solutions here, Warrior, but some suggestions that just might help. 1. Set the direction of your airdrop flights in that menu BEFORE you designate drop zones or set the time of the drop. That does it sometimes. 2. Do not put airdrops near the edge of the map. The planes tend to overshoot and if they don't start dropping till the plane exits, they are probably out there somewhere wandering around in that surrounding blackness No guarantees here, but doing these two things seems to help. Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to Warrior)
Post #: 6
- 1/30/2002 1:04:00 PM   
Redleg

Yes, I learned about the edge of the map.... also, wide rivers, lakes, and deep water can ruin your day! ;-)

(in reply to Warrior)
Post #: 7
- 1/30/2002 6:20:00 PM   
Warrior

Thanks for the responses. I will adapt and overcome.

(in reply to Warrior)
Post #: 8
- 1/30/2002 6:43:00 PM   
ubertechie

WB - or any other wise sage
Do the same rules apply for glider born drops? Many Thanks Ubertechie

(in reply to Warrior)
Post #: 9
- 1/31/2002 10:15:00 AM   
Redleg

The biggest hint I can think of is do what Warrior did - test the scenario. Then you see these issues and adapt to them. Sounds basic but a lot of scenarios are not thoroughly tested by the designer. A very good thing to do is set up a little test battle on a plain, featureless map. Takes just minutes. Mark your drop zones with an "X" or something and let 'em fly. Note how far away the troops land from the drop site. The "X" lets you know what you were shooting for and how far you missed. In this way, you will know how much leeway you have in these operations. Also note that the more units in the plane, the more scattered the drop. (parachute landings).

(in reply to Warrior)
Post #: 10
- 1/31/2002 10:16:00 AM   
Redleg

Also note which units come out of the transport aircraft first.... not as easy to see but it can be useful info.

(in reply to Warrior)
Post #: 11
- 1/31/2002 7:54:00 PM   
richmonder

Don't know if this is related, but- I've noticed that my airstrike patterns (entry/exit) get overrided by the AI for both the AI and my airstrikes (human side). Anyone else noticing this? I am not speaking of the targeting, just entry/exit.

Respectfully,
Richmonder
(formerly Gen. Richmond)

(in reply to Warrior)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Airdrops designed in v7.1 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI