Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Actual Weapons Firing Experience?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Actual Weapons Firing Experience? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Actual Weapons Firing Experience? - 8/2/2004 4:35:43 AM   
KG Erwin

Most of you , especially the veterans, will put me to shame on this. However, this is directed primarily to the civilians amongst us.
I've never fired a military-issue rifle, as I was never in the armed forces. I've personally fired a 12-guage shotgun, a 30-cal Winchester rifle, and a 44-Magnum pistol, all at stationary targets.
I don't deer hunt, and I liked them all, but handling the rifle felt the most comfortable. All of this was just to satisfy my curiousity.
I've never handled a semi-auto or automatic rifle, but here are my wishes-- to fire a BAR, an M1 Garand Rifle, Thompson SMG, and a 30-cal MMG. In other words, all that WWII Marine weaponry that I've never personally handled, but intensively studied. Someday I hope to fulfill these wishes.

With all my fascination with WWII weapons, I personally have no desire to own a firearm.

What weapons have you other civilians actually fired?

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 8/2/2004 12:16:43 AM >

Post #: 1
RE: Actual Weapons Firing Experience? - 8/2/2004 8:29:12 AM   
Huffy

Wow..KG...I can almost dito that post,...I shot my great uncles old octagon barrled 30-30.....22's..9mm..and a pistle or two....but none of the mil weapons, I don't shoot the deer , I feed them...love to watch them.....I go to the gun shows...and some they have on display...I love...but can't afford,...let alone the ammo..
I guess....I'll just stick to the comp games...rainbow 6 and such...
take care,
Huffy

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 2
RE: Actual Weapons Firing Experience? - 8/2/2004 9:17:04 AM   
stevemk1a

I've not fired any military semi-auto or fully automatic stuff, but as a rural-type Canadian, I've fired a heckofaolotov hunting rifles ... including old .303 service rifles ... and lotsa shotguns ... and a couple of pistols (.38 and such).

I must admit that I like shooting cans much more than Deer ...

(in reply to Huffy)
Post #: 3
RE: Actual Weapons Firing Experience? - 8/2/2004 2:23:18 PM   
Warrior2

Nearly every service rifle in our game has been in my hands at one time, and had a few hundreds rounds fired. A partial list (my memory isn't what it used to be): .30 Springfield & the "Enfield" .30 US service rifle from WWI, M1 & M1 carbine, M-14, three .303 Brit rifles (the WWI model, the standard WWII rifle, and the "jungle carbine"), a 7.7 Jap, the Russian Mosin-Nagant & Tokarev semi-auto, 6.5 Italian (the one I don't believe killed Kennedy - it not only couldn't hit the side of a barn but would blow powder & bits of brass back in my face - the worst rifle I ever owned, a real piece of s***), M-16, AK-47 (probably my favorite), the Mauser 98K; and some service pistols - Luger, P-38, and .45 auto. The only auto weapon I've fired was the .30 M1 carbine with the auto selector.

< Message edited by Warrior -- 8/2/2004 7:08:38 PM >

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 4
RE: Actual Weapons Firing Experience? - 8/2/2004 3:09:31 PM   
Belisarius

Since I live in a country where military-grade weapons are all but banned for civilians, my experience is limited to

* Chinese version of the AK-74 (in semi-automatic. Very very easy to handle, but kicks)
* Mauser K96, very similiar to the K98k.
* 12-gauge shotgun (pump-action)
* some .22

Wish list (a boy can dream, can't he?)

* M1 Garand
* Thompson
* Stg-44
* AG90 B (below, top)

And - of course - the MG 42

< Message edited by Belisarius -- 8/2/2004 2:16:01 PM >

Got StuG?

(in reply to Warrior2)
Post #: 5
RE: Actual Weapons Firing Experience? - 8/2/2004 3:43:28 PM   
FNG

When I was an army cadet in the '80's we still had Lee-Enfield No. 4s and Bren LMGs. Both are superb weapons; extremely rugged and accurate. I was disappointed when we finally upgraded to SA80s

FNG
Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt.

(in reply to Belisarius)
Post #: 6
RE: Actual Weapons Firing Experience? - 8/2/2004 4:19:57 PM   
Hexed Gamer

I have very limited experiences with weapons myself.

No hand guns.

Fired a 12 gauge once. Big boom big kick, killed a piece of the ground big time :)

Fired a Mini 14 once, interesting weapon, easy to handle I guess.

Fired a 22 rifle, no kick of course, round hardly able to do anything unless used in a specifically dangerous fashion (a 22 will kill someone if you try).

Fired the FNC1A1 while in the service. I liked my rifle.

Grew up in a home though where guns (any guns, any purpose) were not welcome.
Tends to be a response parents get when father is robbed at gunpoint twice while at work (worked for the CN).
And no, save the dumb concept that having a gun might have ensured his safety. It would just have given them a reason to shoot him instead of club him.

Basically I grew up without access to guns toys or otherwise.

(in reply to FNG)
Post #: 7
RE: Actual Weapons Firing Experience? - 8/2/2004 4:40:40 PM   
Voriax

Several Maxim variants, including twin AAMG..MG34 & 42, Lahti, DT, Madsen, Bren lmgs (plus couple more modern ones). Suomi, Ppsh, MP-38, SturmGewehr..bunch of others. Never actually kept a list but rough estimate would be 50 or so full auto weapons and a load of rifles/pistols/revolvers.
Being a founding member of a military history association (plenty of weapons collector friends) tends to help in getting irons to shoot with . Myself being a black powder guy I just have my cannons (4 pieces under construction right now) so I just have only few 'modern' weapons.

Voriax

ps. Gotta brag a bit. Our club had its annual rifle shooting competition last Saturday. I won the Musket and percussion muzzleloader series, was second in 'military rifle' (mostly Finnish M-39's) and 6th in 1891 Mosin-Nagant. .

< Message edited by Voriax -- 8/2/2004 5:30:17 PM >

Oh God give Me strength to accept those things I cannot change with a firearm!

(in reply to Hexed Gamer)
Post #: 8
RE: Actual Weapons Firing Experience? - 8/2/2004 5:27:24 PM   
Major_Johnson

Alas, I was too young for Vietnam and too old for Desert Shield or Storm. I own a S&W 357 Magnum and a 12 shotgun, neither of which has been fired in years. It's just not like it used to be where you could go out in the woods or some quarry and shot off a bunch rounds and not have to worry. I inherited some stuff from my Dad when he passed on, although I'm hesitant on giving an details. I will say that one of the pieces is some French rifle from WW1. It doesn't have magazine though, so I couldn't fire it even if I wanted too. In fact I'm not really sure just what it is. 15 years ago or so I did take it to a local gun shop to find out what it is, and he most likely told me and I just forgot.

But I do have one funny little story to tell. My brother enlisted in the Marines in 1966. He came home on leave one weekend and managed to smuggle out his M-14 training rifle. I was all of about 9-10 years old and he wanted to take me to a local quarry to shoot the thing. All I remember is him firing off one round, and I was off and running, in the opposite direction! I remember him laughing at me when he realized what had happened. I never did shoot the rifle. But with the echo from the quarry it sounded like a 21 gun salute!

Would anyone know of any decent website or book that might detail some restoring process for older guns. Like finishes? Part of the outside of the barrel of shotgun is a little rusty. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

M.J.!
We serve others best when at the same time we serve ourselves.

(in reply to Voriax)
Post #: 9
RE: Actual Weapons Firing Experience? - 8/2/2004 6:19:00 PM   
BulletMagnet

What this thread needs is some Ammo Sgt. Probably would be easier for her to list the weapons she HASNT fired. Me myself did a short stint as a eleven bang bang so I got to play with the usual matel toy package i.e M16a2, saw,60.at-4 etc.. My favorite was the saw or m249

"What we do in life,echoes in eternity"

(in reply to Major_Johnson)
Post #: 10
RE: Actual Weapons Firing Experience? - 8/2/2004 8:00:37 PM   
String

Galil AR, Galil SAR, M-14 (only on semi-auto) and MG-3 , my personal favourite :)

d'oh .. forgot Colt 1911 :D

Anyway, the Galil series has a design very very similar to ak-47 and ak74, with only minor differences, mainly to enhance handling and ergonomics. Overall a nice rugged piece of equipment, although after i had fired the m-14 and mg-3 i always fet that the 5,56 was a wee bit weak

< Message edited by String -- 8/2/2004 1:08:08 PM >

(in reply to BulletMagnet)
Post #: 11
RE: Actual Weapons Firing Experience? - 8/2/2004 8:12:49 PM   
rrockw

I have fired a M-16/A2, M203, Beretta 9mm, Law Rocket, Grenade Launcher (sorry I can't remember the military designation) and the M60 machine gun.

Rich

(in reply to String)
Post #: 12
RE: Actual Weapons Firing Experience? - 8/2/2004 9:24:55 PM   
rbrunsman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Major_Johnson

It's just not like it used to be where you could go out in the woods or some quarry and shot off a bunch rounds and not have to worry.

This is one of the reasons I love Arizona so much. You CAN just go off into the desert and blast away. No problems. There's even a guy around here who has a quad .50 that he takes out to the desert and rips off a couple hundred $s worth of rounds in a few seconds. Clearly, a very wealthy man.

I've got a Browning 20 ga. O/U (sweet gun), a Benelli Nova 12 ga. pump, a Ruger 10/22 rifle and a Brit Enfield .303. I've fired lots of pistols, several hunting rifles and a bunch of other shotguns (quail hunting and bird dog training). I used to shoot alot of black powder stuff and not nearly as well as Voriax, obviously.

What has amazed me is how loud and powerful an on WWII army .45 pistol is. Those things really kick and make your ears ring! Did/do soldiers wear ear protection in action? I suspect not. Those that have seen real action must all be deaf.

Everyone is a potential [PBEM] enemy, every place a potential [PBEM] battlefield. --Zensunni Wisdom

Post #: 13
RE: Actual Weapons Firing Experience? - 8/2/2004 10:29:01 PM   
String

quote:

ORIGINAL: rbrunsman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Major_Johnson

It's just not like it used to be where you could go out in the woods or some quarry and shot off a bunch rounds and not have to worry.

This is one of the reasons I love Arizona so much. You CAN just go off into the desert and blast away. No problems. There's even a guy around here who has a quad .50 that he takes out to the desert and rips off a couple hundred $s worth of rounds in a few seconds. Clearly, a very wealthy man.

I've got a Browning 20 ga. O/U (sweet gun), a Benelli Nova 12 ga. pump, a Ruger 10/22 rifle and a Brit Enfield .303. I've fired lots of pistols, several hunting rifles and a bunch of other shotguns (quail hunting and bird dog training). I used to shoot alot of black powder stuff and not nearly as well as Voriax, obviously.

What has amazed me is how loud and powerful an on WWII army .45 pistol is. Those things really kick and make your ears ring! Did/do soldiers wear ear protection in action? I suspect not. Those that have seen real action must all be deaf.

afaik most of the ww2 vets suffer from ear damage, resulting in inabilty to hear high and ultrahigh frequencies..

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 14
RE: Actual Weapons Firing Experience? - 8/2/2004 10:34:06 PM   
Paranormalix

.22 rifle and revolver, .308, 30-06 & 7.62x59 hunting rifles, 12 gauge shotguns, many models of 9mm pistols,
9mm Suomi M/31 SMG http://www.saunalahti.fi/~ejuhola/7.62/suomi.html ,
Valmet 7.62x39 AR http://world.guns.ru/assault/as43-e.htm ,
Valmet KVKK 62 http://world.guns.ru/machine/mg31-e.htm ,
AK-47 http://world.guns.ru/assault/as01-e.htm ,
NSV-12.7 http://world.guns.ru/machine/mg02-e.htm both from tripod and turretmounted from Sisu XA-180 http://members.surfeu.fi/stefan.allen/XA-180.html .

Thats all I can remember quickly.

< Message edited by Paranormalix -- 8/2/2004 10:37:27 PM >

" One size fits all : .50 " "unknown"

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 15
RE: Actual Weapons Firing Experience? - 8/3/2004 12:29:36 AM   
Kevin E. Duguay

Have the head space of the bolt checked on that Carcano 6.5. That could be your problem.

KED

(in reply to Warrior2)
Post #: 16
RE: Actual Weapons Firing Experience? - 8/3/2004 12:29:55 AM   
John Galt

quote:

ORIGINAL: Voriax
ps. Gotta brag a bit. Our club had its annual rifle shooting competition last Saturday. I won the Musket and percussion muzzleloader series, was second in 'military rifle' (mostly Finnish M-39's) and 6th in 1891 Mosin-Nagant. .

Voriax, congrats on your 2 wins and the second place finish. I'll bet the 6th place in Mosin-Nagant wasn't too shabby either.

Experience is the teacher that gives the test first and the lesson last.

John Galt

(in reply to Voriax)
Post #: 17
RE: Actual Weapons Firing Experience? - 8/3/2004 1:06:16 AM   
Kevin E. Duguay

Just a few, but no fully automatic weapons. Things like 1891 Moisin Naggant, M39, KAR 98, M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, Carcano carbine (short inaccurate and useless, dont even make a good club), varrious other Mauser rifles in varrious calibers, Mini 14, Bushmaster AR-15, Remington 30-06 BDL (Quarter size groups at 200 yards), a very strange M-14 with a pistol grip stock (I think it was a full auto version but was converted to single shot. There is a slot in the stock for the selector switch), SKS rifle(Yugoslav), SKS carbine (Short Chinese), Ruger 10-22 22cal rifle, Savage .17 bolt action, Remington 870 pump shotgun in 12 gauge 3in mag., Remington 1100 Semi-auto shotgun in 12 gauge 2 3/4in, Wichester .22 Mag lever-action, Winchester 30-30 lever-Action.

Pistols,
Springfield 1911A1 .45, Springfield Ultra Compact .45, Taurus .44 mag, S&W .357 mag, S&W .38 special, Glock .45, PPK in .380 (9mm kurtz),
Makorov in .380 (I got it in .380 because I was affraid that the Russin ammo for it would dry up.), Browning High Power 9mm. Then there is the bunch of .22cal pistols from Ruger, Browning, High Standard, Berreta, all semi-autos and another from Ruger that was a revolver.

DONE

KED

(in reply to Kevin E. Duguay)
Post #: 18
RE: Actual Weapons Firing Experience? - 8/3/2004 7:58:48 AM   
chief

As an aircrewman I had to qualify with/in twin 50 cal turrets (deck/upper) and twin 20 mm cannons in the nose and tail turrets, I much prefered the 50's, purred like a kitten, 20's had a tendecy to jam and required a very light touch but they'd chop up anything they hit. Also fired 45 cal pistol and 38 cal (sidearm) and a cute AR15? 22cal survival weapon.

"God Bless America and All the Young men and women who give their all to protect Her"....chief

Post #: 19
RE: Actual Weapons Firing Experience? - 8/3/2004 11:55:33 AM   
steveh11Matrix

OK, a perspective from the UK:

None. Absolutely zero. Can't say I'm bothered by that, actually - I don't know anyone who owns a firearm. Well, maybe one guy might own a shotgun.

See, things are different in a country/culture where firearms use is so exceptional as it is hereabouts. Now, in some areas (bad parts of Manchester, for example) that's not the case, but in most of the country it still is, and oh how I hope it stays that way.

Steve.

"Nature always obeys Her own laws" - Leonardo da Vinci

(in reply to chief)
Post #: 20
RE: Actual Weapons Firing Experience? - 8/3/2004 1:47:24 PM   
TheOverlord

I have had the pleasure of firing a fair range of firearms. I own a few from the following list as well

I have fired:
.22 rifle and pistols
.380 pistol
.45 model 1911 (beautiful pistol! Gotta get me one!)
.270 hunting rifle with magnum hunting rounds (kicked like a horse...)
12 guage shotgun
mini 14
.40 S&W glock
semi auto AK-47 knock off
SKS
semi auto G3 with sniper scope (awesome)
S&W .357 Magnum
S&W 38 Special
S&W .44 Magnum
9mm glock
M1 Garand (another beauty)
A variety of other 9mm pistols...cant remember them all...

"Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge hammer. "
-Major Holdridge

(in reply to steveh11Matrix)
Post #: 21
RE: Actual Weapons Firing Experience? - 8/3/2004 8:03:03 PM   
byoung

For myself,
Type 51 (Chinese Mosin-Nagant copy)
Hakim (UAR production of Swedish (?) design)
Martini-Henry (they do get quite hot, so belive the story about them glowing at Rourke's Drift...)
misc. 22s & small shotguns

Nothing too fast or large, though the 51 will beat up your shoulder after 5 rounds or so... 7.62 Russian & a metal butt-plate will do that...

Wish list:

BAR
Any Soviet SMG with drum clip

Bruce "Lock, load & unload" Young

(in reply to TheOverlord)
Post #: 22
RE: Actual Weapons Firing Experience? - 8/3/2004 8:31:39 PM   
Voriax

quote:

ORIGINAL: byoung

Hakim (UAR production of Swedish (?) design)

Ljungman model 42

Voriax

Oh God give Me strength to accept those things I cannot change with a firearm!

(in reply to byoung)
Post #: 23
RE: Actual Weapons Firing Experience? - 8/3/2004 8:42:00 PM   
Riun T

Hey Gunny hearin from me again bud,there's a place in vagas that a buddy who owns a carnival equiping business here went down to and could shoot what he said EVERYTHING from MAC10's to .223 or .308 cal.miniguns if u had the cash I'm sure u could find the ranch on the net. start snoopin and savin bud. later RT
should have added he shot a thompson with stick mags costing $8 bucks am. and drum $25.he also poped a mag of DRAGNOV (love that gun) 5rounds BARRETT .50 bunch of 1911 colt.45. all in all he said and showed me his 400$ US. day at the range

< Message edited by Riun T -- 8/3/2004 6:48:38 PM >

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 24
RE: Actual Weapons Firing Experience? - 8/3/2004 9:11:46 PM   
Riun T

Hey Major,Just give the stalk a light ream and fine sand don't rinse the filings off and imerse it in a flat tin tray that you've preped with a bunson burner to keep Linseed oil at just under boiling,emerse the stalk in it with a bent coathanger,blow the burner out and remove in the morning and whipe with chammi or cotton rags til dry to touch.
Rescipy from old Saskatchewan Trapper/Gunsmith/Blackpowder enthusiest/guide I used to run a B.C. riding hunting camp in prince george with him.

Post #: 25
RE: Actual Weapons Firing Experience? - 8/3/2004 9:20:23 PM   
Kevin E. Duguay

quote:

and a cute AR15? 22cal survival weapon.

AR-7? Did all parts fit inside the butt of the rifle when it was taken appart? Then its a AR-7.

KED

(in reply to chief)
Post #: 26
RE: Actual Weapons Firing Experience? - 8/3/2004 9:31:24 PM   
chief

Kevin you are absolutely correct young man, senility crept in.

Chief

"God Bless America and All the Young men and women who give their all to protect Her"....chief

Post #: 27
RE: Actual Weapons Firing Experience? - 8/3/2004 10:44:17 PM   
Gallo Rojo

Does a "molotov cocktail" count?

The bayonet is a weapon with a worker on each end

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 28
RE: Actual Weapons Firing Experience? - 8/5/2004 4:21:33 AM   
mongo

KG..

Have you checked with local gun/sport/shooting clubs?

Many of them that I know of in several states have "open" days where people (usually looking to join) can come by and use the facilities. One can generally find one of the members who has what you are looking for. They would probably let you squeeze off a few rounds.

I know there is a huge resurgence in the old weapons the last couple of years since the CMP started selling the Garands and Carbines again.

"Mongo only pawn..in game of life"

(in reply to Gallo Rojo)
Post #: 29
RE: Actual Weapons Firing Experience? - 8/5/2004 10:52:50 AM   
Belisarius

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gallo Rojo

Does a "molotov cocktail" count?

What, have you been in a riot?

Got StuG?

(in reply to Gallo Rojo)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Actual Weapons Firing Experience? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI