Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Ship based search planes

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Ship based search planes Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Ship based search planes - 12/6/2004 9:59:09 PM   
BlackVoid

I have 2 questions regarding this.
As Japan I want to use Mogami's training method. How should I set these "groups"? If I set accept replacements, then it will draw pilots from the pool. If no replacements is set what will happen if the 1 plane 'group' suffers a casualty?

Is it worth at all to use these planes on the ships? As mid ocean intercepts are next to impossible what is the benefit of having them onboard (assuming you have good recon in the area)?
Post #: 1
RE: Ship based search planes - 12/6/2004 10:02:31 PM   
PeteG662

close in search for subs, longer out serach for TFs......I use every available search plane where ever they are! I set them to 100% serach or 100% ASW unless weather is going to be bad and then may reduce them to 50%. Think detection levels!

The pilots also get experience while flying.....yes you will have OPS losses.

(in reply to BlackVoid)
Post #: 2
RE: Ship based search planes - 12/6/2004 10:05:01 PM   
BlackVoid

Detection level - that makes sense, have not thought of that.

(in reply to PeteG662)
Post #: 3
RE: Ship based search planes - 12/6/2004 10:32:24 PM   
tsimmonds

The best way to get started on the air unit training is to select some units to be your training units. You will need some for each type of A/C that you will be training pilots for. Select one of these training units and divide it (if it divides). Disband the 3 smaller units into 3 front-line units. This moves planes and pilots into the front-line unit, possibly overstocking it. This is no problem and is even desirable in some ways. When you disband, you will be asked whether you want the unit to reappear in 90 days, say "yes". When it returns it will draw a full complement of planes and pilots from the pools. Since your pilot pool is likely to be empty by this time, it will arrive with the lower rated pilots. These are the units that you will need to train up. When you get them trained to a reasonable level by whatever means, disband them into front-line units and start the process again. But it is a waste of time to train a unit with one a/c. Just disband it and wait for it to come back with a full group.

< Message edited by irrelevant -- 12/6/2004 3:36:58 PM >

Fear the kitten!

(in reply to BlackVoid)
Post #: 4
RE: Ship based search planes - 12/6/2004 10:47:45 PM   
tsimmonds

You asked specifically about search planes though (one day I'll start reading the questions more carefully). Tallyman's got it; those guys will get all the training they need through just using them. They are also useful for spotting subs. Keep them flying from those cruisers and battleships! Watch out for enemy LBA though, float planes are easy meat, and just contribute needlessly to your foe's training program.

< Message edited by irrelevant -- 12/6/2004 3:50:16 PM >

Fear the kitten!

(in reply to BlackVoid)
Post #: 5
RE: Ship based search planes - 12/6/2004 11:25:26 PM   
PeteG662

Irrelevant.....you answered his first question which I did not want to venture into since I have not used Mogami's training program.

(in reply to tsimmonds)
Post #: 6
RE: Ship based search planes - 12/7/2004 12:48:19 AM   
BlackVoid

If I set them to no replacement what happens if the only plane in the group get shot down???

(in reply to PeteG662)
Post #: 7
RE: Ship based search planes - 12/7/2004 12:49:54 AM   
testarossa

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tallyman662

Irrelevant.....you answered his first question which I did not want to venture into since I have not used Mogami's training program.

I've tried searching but cannot find Mogami training program. Could somebody put it in simple words?

Dr. Miller: I should've called the marines!
Dalton: They're few, they're proud... And they ain't here!!!

(in reply to PeteG662)
Post #: 8
RE: Ship based search planes - 12/7/2004 12:57:06 AM   
Mynok

quote:

Could somebody put it in simple words?

Search for Mogami and training program. Make sure you set it to look back before one month.

(in reply to testarossa)
Post #: 9
RE: Ship based search planes - 12/7/2004 3:20:29 PM   
tsimmonds

quote:

Could somebody put it in simple words?

• Find small air unit with trained pilots.
  • Disband into front-line air unit.
  • Small unit re-appears in 90 days with planes and "untrained" pilots from pool
  • Put small unit someplace safe and conduct low-risk operations (ASW, search, attacking an empty base).
  • Watch as experience increases.
  • When they are "trained", disband them into front-line air unit
  • Small unit reappears in 90 days etc......

Your definitions of "trained" and "untrained" may vary over time.

quote:

If I set them to no replacement what happens if the only plane in the group get shot down???

Absolutely nothing. It will sit there with 0 A/C until the end of time. You can't transfer it, not even between a ship and a base in the same hex. You can't disband it, it doesn't have any planes. Withdraw it? Probably can't do that either. Perhaps you could load it onto an AK? I don't know, I never tried. If you set it to accept replacements, it may eventually draw a replacement, depending on its location. I think you could disband another air unit into it, though....

Fear the kitten!

(in reply to testarossa)
Post #: 10
RE: Ship based search planes - 12/7/2004 4:08:57 PM   
Mr.Frag

quote:

Absolutely nothing. It will sit there with 0 A/C until the end of time. You can't transfer it, not even between a ship and a base in the same hex. You can't disband it, it doesn't have any planes. Withdraw it? Probably can't do that either. Perhaps you could load it onto an AK? I don't know, I never tried. If you set it to accept replacements, it may eventually draw a replacement, depending on its location. I think you could disband another air unit into it, though....

There has to be at a minimum 1 aircraft for any aircraft commands to work.

(in reply to tsimmonds)
Post #: 11
RE: Ship based search planes - 12/7/2004 5:17:49 PM   
Caltone

To the original poster, yes by all means use these planes. As others said they can help with detection levels. But think about it, would you rather have your Val's out scouting or waiting to bomb the enemy? The more floatplanes you use, the less you will need of your combat aircraft to scout. Your land based recon is nice in the form of the Emily's but they cannot do it all by themselves.

Now that we are kind of on the subject, let me ask a related question. When I updated to 1.30, all of my Alf's were borked. They ended up with all ranges set to 0, so they in effect couldn't move except by offloading while in port (and then via rail).

Although Frag responded some to my question, there is apparently no solution. I believed I would have to manually solve my problem my moving my CA's and CL's into port, unloading my Alf's, breaking up some exisiting float plane squadrons, and flying fragments back onto my CA's and CL's.

Well I have managed to do this and believe me it is a pain. The hard part was creating the 1 plane sqaudron so as not to overload my CA's or CL's. Once I did that, I was able to fly the fragment onto my ships but in the next turn, they flew back to the original squadron Is this intended? Pretty frustrating for me as this is a PBEM that's been going on for awhile and we didn't want to start over. Not exactly a deal breaker, but pretty aggravating for me as Japan. Many of my TF's are blind. I realize in the big scheme of things this is a fairly small issue but some more information would be helpful

"Order AP Hill to prepare for battle" -- Stonewall Jackson

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 12
RE: Ship based search planes - 12/7/2004 6:06:48 PM   
DrewMatrix

Answering only the problem of the 1 plane fragment flying back to join the parent unit:

Try to make the parent unit one plane. Fly the parent and leave some behind (maybe 5 fly, 2 behind). The next turn fly the parent again (3 fly). And be sure to also move the first fragment someplace (maybe to join the second fragment) so it won't automatically rejoin.

Once you get the _parent_ to one plane, put that on the ship and see if then the fragment stays away.

Can you disband the fragment to get rid of it as an alternative?

A pain, but it may get what you need.

Beezle - Rapidly running out of altitude, airspeed and ideas.

(in reply to Caltone)
Post #: 13
RE: Ship based search planes - 12/7/2004 6:36:34 PM   
Caltone

Thanks for the tip Beezle, I'll try it tonight as I'm sure I've got a turn waiting on me.

Agreed its a pain, but worth it in my opinion.

(in reply to DrewMatrix)
Post #: 14
RE: Ship based search planes - 12/7/2004 7:33:48 PM   
PeteG662

The fragments will usually try to recombine with the parent so watch out if this happens on a ship!

(in reply to Caltone)
Post #: 15
RE: Ship based search planes - 12/7/2004 8:51:51 PM   
Caltone

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tallyman662
The fragments will usually try to recombine with the parent so watch out if this happens on a ship!

Another good point. With my luck I'd have 27 Dave's packed onto my little CL

Maybe best to disband the fragments into other squadrons. Another use I've found is to rework the squadrons on some of the CS's. Can't remember which ones off the top of my head, but some start out with large squadrons of Pete's. I've managed to swap some of these out for Jake's and get much better use from these ships.

(in reply to PeteG662)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Ship based search planes Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI