Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Yet another map mod

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Yet another map mod Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Yet another map mod - 2/1/2005 12:56:59 AM   
Subchaser

My map mod is now available on Spooky fansite (Thanks a lot Spooky). This is basically original map without problems and with some innovations, which make a gameplay a bit more comfortable, at least for me…

Main features:
• New water area colors and costal/shallow waters borders
• New fonts.
• Hex grid visible only over the water hexes.
• Resources/Industries symbols.

Corrections:
• Now you can see road from Colombo to Trincomalee – previously it looked like trail.
• Railroad in the hex to the south of Bombay is now visible.
• Railroad net in Calcutta-Dacca-Diamond Harbour area fixed, now it doesn’t confuse player.
• There is a railroad in Tasmania, and now it’s visible.
• Roads in Pokrovka-Ruchlovo area now visible.
• Padang and Bankha on Sumatra don’t look isolated now, there are some trails.
• Singkawang-Pontianak road on Borneo is just a trail actually, fixed.
• Roads in Prince Rupert area are visible now.
• Railroad in Wuchow area corrected.
• Hex 35,45 near Cam Ranh Bay now has more reasons to be costal, some land was added.
• Hex 107,24 (Norton Bay) doesn’t look like shallow water hex.
• Costal hexes in Banjarmasin area corrected.
• Some most obvious spelling errors were corrected.
• various minor fixes…

Find the differences
[image]http://user.rol.ru/~subchase/dacca-calcutta.jpg [/image]

SAMPLE 1
SAMPLE 2

BTW, the same color pattern and map style will be used for my next project, 3D style (I actually don’t understand why everybody think that original map is in 3D) variant of the map done by Andrew Brown, with some exceptions. So… if you have any ideas, what to improve etc. Let me know, (keep in mind that I’ve already reworked some parts of that map, so do not suggest fundamental changes)

Spooky's UV & WITP Fansite

< Message edited by Subchaser -- 2/1/2005 8:25:15 PM >

Post #: 1
RE: Yet another map mod - 2/1/2005 1:14:06 AM   
von Murrin

I'll grab it and have a look around tonight.

I give approximately two fifths of a !#$% at any given time!

(in reply to Subchaser)
Post #: 2
RE: Yet another map mod - 2/1/2005 1:17:31 AM   
MadmanRick

I downloaded this just a moment ago, but before I install it, I have a question? Is it compatible with ongoing games (either PBEM or against the AI), begun under 1.4?

Thanks,
Rick

"Our lives begin to end the moment we become silent about things that matter". Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

(in reply to Subchaser)
Post #: 3
RE: Yet another map mod - 2/1/2005 1:18:22 AM   
von Murrin

I don't think he changed the data file, so yes.

(in reply to MadmanRick)
Post #: 4
RE: Yet another map mod - 2/1/2005 1:19:39 AM   
Andrew Brown

Very nice, Subchaser. I am interested to see what you ended up deciding to do with the resource markers. I am still thinking about how (or whether) to do that. Also, what are the exceptions that you mention in relation to my map?

One other thing I have thought of. You have made some corrections to the map art so that it matches the map data. In my LCU movement mod I have done the opposite - I have modified the map data to match the original map art. That means that my LCU movement mod is not really compatible with your map. It can be used, but it will then have the same errors as the original map and data, except reversed. Once I get a copy of your map I will look at doing another version of the LCU movement mod to match it.

Information about my WitP map, and CHS, can be found on my WitP website

(in reply to Subchaser)
Post #: 5
RE: Yet another map mod - 2/1/2005 1:22:07 AM   
Subchaser

quote:

ORIGINAL: MadmanRick

Is it compatible with ongoing games (either PBEM or against the AI), begun under 1.4?

Yes absolutely, in fact it is more compatible with ongoing official scenarios games than original version of this map since now map graphic match the hex code.

(in reply to MadmanRick)
Post #: 6
RE: Yet another map mod - 2/1/2005 1:22:15 AM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

I downloaded this just a moment ago, but before I install it, I have a question? Is it compatible with ongoing games (either PBEM or against the AI), begun under 1.4?

Thanks,
Rick

It states in the readme that the map data is not modified, so yes it is able to be used with ongoing games. In fact, because it matches the original map data more closely, it is MORE compatible that the original map itself (unless using my LCU movement mod - see my previous message).

Edit: I see Subchaser just beat me to posting the same comment!

< Message edited by Andrew Brown -- 2/1/2005 9:28:46 AM >

(in reply to MadmanRick)
Post #: 7
RE: Yet another map mod - 2/1/2005 1:32:33 AM   
Subchaser

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andrew Brown

Also, what are the exceptions that you mention in relation to my map?

Hi Andrew. Mountains and atolls graphic will be reworked… and something else that comes to mind only when you observe the map :)

quote:

One other thing I have thought of. You have made some corrections to the map art so that it matches the map data. In my LCU movement mod I have done the opposite - I have modified the map data to match the original map art. That means that my LCU movement mod is not really compatible with your map. It can be used, but it will then have the same errors as the original map and data, except reversed. Once I get a copy of your map I will look at doing another version of the LCU movement mod to match it.

$%^#!! I forgot about that.. thanks for pointing that out. I also can post another version of those 3 map files without those corrections…

(in reply to Andrew Brown)
Post #: 8
RE: Yet another map mod - 2/1/2005 1:37:12 AM   
Subchaser

One more thing I forgot to mention. You can see Society Islands on the map now … of course these are fake (note the font color), since there were no map data changes… this is just a cosmetic upgrade :)

(in reply to Subchaser)
Post #: 9
RE: Yet another map mod - 2/1/2005 1:37:27 AM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Subchaser
$%^#!! I forgot about that.. thanks for pointing that out. I also can post another version of those 3 map files without those corrections…

It will take a while for me to make up the new version of the LCU movement mod. Thing are busy for me at the moment. In my spare time I am currently revising my scenario 115 again and doing some Australian OOB changes for the combined mod. Maybe in a week or two, but it will get done. I don't think many people are using my LCU movement mod anyway...

(in reply to Subchaser)
Post #: 10
RE: Yet another map mod - 2/1/2005 1:40:19 AM   
Subchaser

quote:

I don't think many people are using my LCU movement mod anyway...

the funny thing is - I personally... use your LCU mod..

Post #: 11
RE: Yet another map mod - 2/1/2005 1:51:25 AM   
von Murrin

Very pretty map!

One problem: I got a compression error on the first zip file. Re-downloading didn't fix it, so I fired up the game to see which panel got hosed. It's the Solomon Islands/PNG/Northeast Oz panel.

Anyhoo, everything else looks superb. I can't wait until you do one for Andrew's map mod.

(in reply to Subchaser)
Post #: 12
RE: Yet another map mod - 2/1/2005 2:03:48 AM   
captskillet

Looks good Subchaser!! Speaking of 3-D map mod.....whats the latest Cobra/Andrew on you guys version????

"Git thar fust with the most men" - Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest

(in reply to von Murrin)
Post #: 13
RE: Yet another map mod - 2/1/2005 2:06:50 AM   
Ron Saueracker

I'm having a problem unzipping Part 1. Unexpected end of file encountered message repeatedly comes up. I've downloaded this file twice to make sure.

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan

(in reply to Subchaser)
Post #: 14
RE: Yet another map mod - 2/1/2005 2:08:14 AM   
Ron Saueracker

quote:

ORIGINAL: von Murrin

Very pretty map!

One problem: I got a compression error on the first zip file. Re-downloading didn't fix it, so I fired up the game to see which panel got hosed. It's the Solomon Islands/PNG/Northeast Oz panel.

Anyhoo, everything else looks superb. I can't wait until you do one for Andrew's map mod.

Same here.

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan

(in reply to von Murrin)
Post #: 15
RE: Yet another map mod - 2/1/2005 2:11:44 AM   
Subchaser

Hmm… that’s pity… I guess something went wrong when Spooky was splitting it into 3 parts… it was in one monolith archive initially. Okay if it’s panel 11 as you say… you can get it here

WITP11

I’ll tell Spooky about that problem

Sorry

(in reply to von Murrin)
Post #: 16
RE: Yet another map mod - 2/1/2005 2:18:04 AM   
von Murrin

That's the panel, but now I have an area with hexes on an otherwise hex-free map.

(in reply to Subchaser)
Post #: 17
RE: Yet another map mod - 2/1/2005 2:59:06 AM   
Tanaka

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Subchaser

It will take a while for me to make up the new version of the LCU movement mod. Thing are busy for me at the moment. In my spare time I am currently revising my scenario 115 again and doing some Australian OOB changes for the combined mod. Maybe in a week or two, but it will get done. I don't think many people are using my LCU movement mod anyway...

I was using your lcu mod but now i use your map and its included. I was curious as to what you are looking to change in your scenario 115. Im am about to start this scenario and want to know if I should wait for your changes???

< Message edited by Tanaka -- 1/31/2005 7:59:45 PM >

Post #: 18
RE: Yet another map mod - 2/1/2005 3:13:10 AM   
Erik Rutins

Looks fantastic, Subchaser. Love the resource symbols, font, the overall look is great. Looking forward to also seeing your work with Andrew's mod.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 19
RE: Yet another map mod - 2/1/2005 3:36:22 AM   
Ron Saueracker

quote:

ORIGINAL: von Murrin

That's the panel, but now I have an area with hexes on an otherwise hex-free map.

The resource indicators are intermittent. EG Brisbane and Darwin show them but none in DEI...hmmm.

Fanning Is misspelled Fanring. Should be Fanning?

< Message edited by Ron Saueracker -- 1/31/2005 8:37:23 PM >

(in reply to von Murrin)
Post #: 20
RE: Yet another map mod - 2/1/2005 4:04:20 AM   
Tanaka

quote:

quote:

Thanks,
Rick

It states in the readme that the map data is not modified, so yes it is able to be used with ongoing games. In fact, because it matches the original map data more closely, it is MORE compatible that the original map itself (unless using my LCU movement mod - see my previous message).

Edit: I see Subchaser just beat me to posting the same comment!

so i guess the question is:

Which is right??? The map or the code???

< Message edited by Tanaka -- 1/31/2005 9:08:40 PM >

Post #: 21
RE: Yet another map mod - 2/1/2005 4:19:58 AM   
Oleg Mastruko

This is fantastic looking map everyone should have Small screenshots in the first post above don't do it justice.

Among other things it almost totally corrects the issue with 16-bit graphic display in full screen mode, as it looks great in 16-bit mode as it does in 32-bit (unlike original game map).

Subchaser, please make version wiht resources, but with no hexes.

No offense Andrew, but the only way I'd ever use your (otherwise fine) map mod is if something like this is available for it.

O.

(in reply to Ron Saueracker)
Post #: 22
RE: Yet another map mod - 2/1/2005 5:20:05 AM   
mlees

The AI parts of the game will use the map/data file, not the map/bmp to caluculate combat results, retreats, movement rates, etc. The map/bmp is just used by the humans...

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 23
RE: Yet another map mod - 2/1/2005 5:56:42 AM   
Ron Saueracker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Oleg Mastruko

This is fantastic looking map everyone should have Small screenshots in the first post above don't do it justice.

Among other things it almost totally corrects the issue with 16-bit graphic display in full screen mode, as it looks great in 16-bit mode as it does in 32-bit (unlike original game map).

No offense Andrew, but the only way I'd ever use your (otherwise fine) map mod is if something like this is available for it.

O.

That's what's going on. panel 11 has hexes when all else is clear. Ahaa! Probably explains why right hand key box is blank.

(in reply to Oleg Mastruko)
Post #: 24
RE: Yet another map mod - 2/1/2005 6:00:00 AM   
Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: mlees

The AI parts of the game will use the map/data file, not the map/bmp to caluculate combat results, retreats, movement rates, etc. The map/bmp is just used by the humans...

yes i know what the AI will use. and both andrew and subchaser fixed it so the code/map match.

andrew: changed code to match map

subchaser: changed map to match code

so the AI will work correctly with both.

but what im saying is who changed the right thing or the wrong thing? was the map wrong or the code???

...it might just be a little of both. maybe only the devs truly know....

< Message edited by Tanaka -- 1/31/2005 11:00:58 PM >

(in reply to mlees)
Post #: 25
RE: Yet another map mod - 2/1/2005 6:05:27 AM   
mlees

Just from the top of my empty head, I seem to recall complaints of bugs in both in these forums. I know that doesn't help.

I used to play darts with a coworker at the local bar/pub, using an electronic dart board that records the dart hits. (plastic tip darts, and I suck with a capital S...) The house rule there was "the machine is always right". So, if you hit the board and the dart bounces off, but the hit is recorded as a bull (or whatever), that's what you get. I was applying the same logic to WiTP. The data file is the one the machine uses, so that's the one that's right.

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 26
RE: Yet another map mod - 2/1/2005 6:12:37 AM   
Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: mlees

Just from the top of my empty head, I seem to recall complaints of bugs in both in these forums. I know that doesn't help.

I used to play darts with a coworker at the local bar/pub, using an electronic dart board that records the dart hits. (plastic tip darts, and I suck with a capital S...) The house rule there was "the machine is always right". So, if you hit the board and the dart bounces off, but the hit is recorded as a bull (or whatever), that's what you get. I was applying the same logic to WiTP. The data file is the one the machine uses, so that's the one that's right.

writing code: what if they typed in coastal when its supposed to be land etc...

art can be drawn mistakenly and easily put in the wrong place here and there.....

so many complications so little time....

(in reply to mlees)
Post #: 27
RE: Yet another map mod - 2/1/2005 6:21:04 AM   
Ron Saueracker

If Andrew and Andrey get together and combine their map efforts the end result will be bloody marvelous! I love Andrews map alterations and new islands (help immensly with convoys!) and Andreys artwork is sweet and real easy on the eyes. Hope you guys tag team!

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 28
RE: Yet another map mod - 2/1/2005 6:22:08 AM   
Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: Oleg Mastruko

O.

have you downloaded andrew's map and tried it out? i wasnt crazy about the looks either but when i actually put it in the game it looks really good a lot better than I thought and it is the most correct map out there as well!

but dont worry subchaser is converting it to his own art style soon...

dont get me wrong it looks very good and subchaser is very talented but i must say im not crazy about subchasers style as it looks very hazy to me. i like the darker blue colors myself. but to each his own. i hope he converts andrews map to the standard game map style as well....

< Message edited by Tanaka -- 1/31/2005 11:56:31 PM >

(in reply to Oleg Mastruko)
Post #: 29
RE: Yet another map mod - 2/1/2005 6:22:53 AM   
Herrbear

quote:

I don't think many people are using my LCU movement mod anyway...

I use it and I know a buddy of mine does so that makes at least three counting subchaser.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Yet another map mod Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI